A Gil Brandt reminder about developing young players

plasticman

Reaction score
The late-great Gil Brandt, the Cowboys HOF former director of player personnel used to remind us that many young players that are drafted at a very young age have not fully developed or stopped growing! Guys younger than 23 are often still coming into their full adult bodies. We need to remember that when looking at how many young players we lose patience with even though they are still young and developing. How many of us were fully physically developed at 22?

Guys like former Cowboys great LT Tyron Smith, who was 20 when drafted in 2011, Zeke Elliott was 20 when he was drafted in 2016, 2022 first round pick Tyler Smith was 21 when drafted, and 2023 first rounder Mazi Smith was also 21 when selected. Young guys can be plug and play but very few 20 or 21 year olds are as ready as Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliott were.

With that in mind, there are several examples of current Cowboys who may need a little longer in the developmental oven and we may have reason to hope for improvement:
  • Mazi Smith will be entering his second year as an NFL player is currently 22, and still struggling to figure out his playing weight and his role. I’m not excusing Mazi’s poor start last year, but I would like to think at 22 he still has upside. Under new DC Mike Zimmer, I’m hopeful Mazi will show some major improvement.
  • Damone Clark is currently 23 but was drafted at 21 and about to start his 3rd NFL season. He has developed into a starter but IMO he’s still developing. Will be interesting to see how he does in year 3. He’s added some weight and more help possibly from FA LB Eric Kendricks, it’s not crazy to think he improves.
  • Deuce Vaughn was drafted at 21 last year and now as a 22 year old has supposedly added some weight room bulk this off-season. I’m not sure he’s capable of a ton more next year, but we will see. Hope so.
  • Tyler Guyton - our first round pick this year is 22. He will turn 23 later this summer but he’s only played LT a short time in college, even starting his college career as an H-back at TCU. Guyton is huge and extremely athletic, but I think he will need some time to develop. But again, he’s 22.
  • Micah Parsons. Yeah he’s already great but he was drafted at 21 and at 24 is about to enter his 4th season. I believe Micah Parsons can still improve and has not reached his peak yet. If he stays healthy, there is still upside to reap.
There are several other guys on the roster who are young and probably have lots of developmental upside. I can hear the wise sage voice of Gil Brandt reminding us these “kids” aren’t done growing up yet.
You are absolutely right. I might also mention Trey Lance.

That's the way it used to be, especially for a coach like Tom Landry. Rookies sat, veterans started, no matter where you are drafted. Exceptions were very rare. Even rookies like Too Tall Jones and Tony Dorsett, drafted #1 and #2 overall in their respective drafts, had to sit for a while. Another rookie drzfted #2 overall, Randy White, didn't start until his 3rd season. Two of those guys are in teh HOF and teh other belongs.

So what has changed?

It's all about free agency and salary caps. Teams just can't afford to spend the money and draft capital on a player that won't produce much in the first couple seasons. The whole philosophy behind salary cap success is when your players perform beyond the expectations associated with the size of their contract.

I'm sure these GM's and coaches are wondering why they would want to train a player that will become a free agent before the player's potential is realized only to have to play against him when he is ready to produce.

If you have a rookie 5th round draft pick that plays at an All Pro level then you have another 2-3 seasons of salary cap bliss. Then, in all likelihood, you pay the premium price or lose him.

On the other hand, if you draft an offensive lineman #5 overall and he can't make the starting lineup day #1 then it doesn't matter to them that he is only 20 years old, it is a step backwards.

What the NFL has working for them is the growing sophistication of the college football programs. In general, players are probably more prepared to enter the NFL as they have ever been from a football perspective.

What the NFL has working against them is the challenge of integrating younger players that did not spend the entire four seasons in college. Quite often, their maturity level does not progress at the same rate as their football skills. Case in point: CB Kelvin Joseph was the youngest player taken in the 2021 draft.

With the way salaries are going, particularly the QB's, a teams success relies on the production of their players still under their original contracts. It takes a team with patience and vision to invest in a "raw" player they believe has the ability to dominate in the future.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So, one really thinks today's college players are ready to knock Parsons off the line of scrimmage day one? Only in attitude, I'll assure you.
Many can. But the majority of college players aren't on the level of Micah the Mouth.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So if that same growth happens for Deuce, he will be up to 5’8”, lol!
At some point in the aging process, you start to shrink a little. Is Duece already on the downhill (sorry, couldn't help myself) run?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
This isn’t 40 years ago. Guys that are drafted early are expected to produce early, and those that don’t rarely come through. Preaching patience with young players in the salary cap era is just boomer nonsense.

Now I haven’t totally given up on Mazi and Schoon but I’m about 95% there.

Creeper

Reaction score
Landry said the same kind of thing. But the league is different now. Player have to hit their potential earlier because of the salary cap. Teams want young guys to make bigger contributions while they are still on their rookie deals. If you wait 3 years for a player to reach his potential, he has one more year then he is a free agent. Teams have to decide to re-sign players after maybe 1 year of high performance.

This is why I think DTs need to be signed in free agency. Let them wet their chops somewhere else and once they are ready to play at a high level pick on up who is already house trained, if you know what I mean.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The late-great Gil Brandt, the Cowboys HOF former director of player personnel used to remind us that many young players that are drafted at a very young age have not fully developed or stopped growing! Guys younger than 23 are often still coming into their full adult bodies. We need to remember that when looking at how many young players we lose patience with even though they are still young and developing. How many of us were fully physically developed at 22?

Guys like former Cowboys great LT Tyron Smith, who was 20 when drafted in 2011, Zeke Elliott was 20 when he was drafted in 2016, 2022 first round pick Tyler Smith was 21 when drafted, and 2023 first rounder Mazi Smith was also 21 when selected. Young guys can be plug and play but very few 20 or 21 year olds are as ready as Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliott were.

With that in mind, there are several examples of current Cowboys who may need a little longer in the developmental oven and we may have reason to hope for improvement:
  • Mazi Smith will be entering his second year as an NFL player is currently 22, and still struggling to figure out his playing weight and his role. I’m not excusing Mazi’s poor start last year, but I would like to think at 22 he still has upside. Under new DC Mike Zimmer, I’m hopeful Mazi will show some major improvement.
  • Damone Clark is currently 23 but was drafted at 21 and about to start his 3rd NFL season. He has developed into a starter but IMO he’s still developing. Will be interesting to see how he does in year 3. He’s added some weight and more help possibly from FA LB Eric Kendricks, it’s not crazy to think he improves.
  • Deuce Vaughn was drafted at 21 last year and now as a 22 year old has supposedly added some weight room bulk this off-season. I’m not sure he’s capable of a ton more next year, but we will see. Hope so.
  • Tyler Guyton - our first round pick this year is 22. He will turn 23 later this summer but he’s only played LT a short time in college, even starting his college career as an H-back at TCU. Guyton is huge and extremely athletic, but I think he will need some time to develop. But again, he’s 22.
  • Micah Parsons. Yeah he’s already great but he was drafted at 21 and at 24 is about to enter his 4th season. I believe Micah Parsons can still improve and has not reached his peak yet. If he stays healthy, there is still upside to reap.
There are several other guys on the roster who are young and probably have lots of developmental upside. I can hear the wise sage voice of Gil Brandt reminding us these “kids” aren’t done growing up yet.
I remember first time seeing Tyron his rookie season and saying, who is that rather large framed TE.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So if that same growth happens for Deuce, he will be up to 5’8”, lol!
I'm keeping the faith with Deuce finally being able to show his skillset, and the opportunity to do so has not been provided yet.
The little dude jokes are always funny, but I would love to see at least a few opportunities, which means play design, coaching... etc
I want to see little man in space with the ball in his hands, and I will bet my hat that he changes some opinions of himself around here.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Reminder that this is particularly true of the Big Boys.
None of Tyron, Martin, or Frederick made 1st Team All Pro until they were 24. Takes a while for the Big Boys to fully grow into their bodies.

Unfortunately, they spent Mazi's rookie year *shrinking* him.
We're the worst.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm keeping the faith with Deuce finally being able to show his skillset, and the opportunity to do so has not been provided yet.
The little dude jokes are always funny, but I would love to see at least a few opportunities, which means play design, coaching... etc
I want to see little man in space with the ball in his hands, and I will bet my hat that he changes some opinions of himself around here.
Hope Deuce has been working on his route running. That's where he can shine *and* get the ball in space.

All his tape catching the ball, he just looks like a natural to me. So much quickness, acceleration, and low center of gravity. Should be murder to cover *if* he really learns how to run routes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas has now got a pair of outside threats and their receiver is sixth fastest in the NFL.