Recommended A good man in charge

Avenger

Reaction score
Garrett has all the makings to become a great head coach in the NFL... in spite of the team his predecessor left him and an incompetent GM.

Those who can't see it, well... you just can't see it.

Avenger

Reaction score
Erod: Jerry Jones is terrible

Me: Yeah, totally. Can you believe he hired Jason Garrett after his QB coaching stint with Culpepper and Harrington?

Erod: But but but I like Jason!!

So what is it? Is Jerry a dunce or are you just selectively picking and choosing what to criticize him for because you luvvvvv Jason so much?

Jerry Jones is not a good GM, but even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

In choosing Garrett as his OC/HC, he was in good company. Other teams, including Atlanta and Baltimore wanted Garrett as their HC at the exact time Jerry hired Wade Phillips.

superpunk

Reaction score
Garrett has all the makings to become a great head coach in the NFL... in spite of the team his predecessor left him and an incompetent GM.

Jerry Jones is not a good GM, but even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

In choosing Garrett as his OC/HC, he was in good company. Other teams, including Atlanta and Baltimore wanted Garrett as their HC at the exact time Jerry hired Wade Phillips.
This might be even worse than the bashing, in terms of skewing to fit your worldview.

Contrary to your belief, the perfect coach isn't made in a lab, and there's about a billion different ways to skin that cat. So the idea that Garrett has some sort of tools and predisposition or markings that makes has him earmarked to be a great coach (you know...IF he can get everything else working for him perfectly, stop having to call plays, get the perfect DC and completely change schemes out of the blue) is insane. He doesn't have any markings and he's been a BAD head coach. be honest.

Atlanta hired Bobby Petrino, too. Lots of teams were knocking down the Ol' Ball Coach's door before Dan Snyder won that battle. The idea that because other teams expressed interest in him is any sort of feather in the cap at all falls apart the second you realize that NFL teams make coaching mistakes all the time.

Avenger

Reaction score
This might be even worse than the bashing, in terms of skewing to fit your worldview.

Contrary to your belief, the perfect coach isn't made in a lab, and there's about a billion different ways to skin that cat. So the idea that Garrett has some sort of tools and predisposition or markings that makes has him earmarked to be a great coach (you know...IF he can get everything else working for him perfectly, stop having to call plays, get the perfect DC and completely change schemes out of the blue) is insane. He doesn't have any markings and he's been a BAD head coach. be honest.

Atlanta hired Bobby Petrino, too. Lots of teams were knocking down the Ol' Ball Coach's door before Dan Snyder won that battle. The idea that because other teams expressed interest in him is any sort of feather in the cap at all falls apart the second you realize that NFL teams make coaching mistakes all the time.

Like I said... some of you boys just don't have the ability to see it, but you will, soon enough.

superpunk

Reaction score
Do you understand tense's at all?

None of us can "see" something that hasn't happened yet, other than in the overactive imaginations of Garrett's biggest admirers.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Absolutely agree. Because success didn't come in his first couple of years some fans instantly decided he didn't have "it" to be a HC and pointed to Harbaugh turning around the 49ers as examples why. Slowly we are getting the kind of team he believes it takes to challenge for the Super Bowl consistently. If we can catch a break from the injury bug this year we will show the NFL what kind of team they wil have to contend with in the future.

erod

Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Because success didn't come in his first couple of years some fans instantly decided he didn't have "it" to be a HC and pointed to Harbaugh turning around the 49ers as examples why. Slowly we are getting the kind of team he believes it takes to challenge for the Super Bowl consistently. If we can catch a break from the injury bug this year we will show the NFL what kind of team they wil have to contend with in the future.

I find that a very small percentage of people - miniscule, in fact - have any inkling of understanding when it comes to football, or management of people, in general. (That's why good general managers make so much, because people generally need to be managed.)

You can't make chicken salad out of you know what. Garrett knows this. He doesn't just say "process" all the time out of habit; he's trying to tell us something. Turning this trainwreck around was going to be a long, tedious, arduous PROCESS.

Tada! It's working.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
He did look happier but his huge *** grin at the end of the game was a bit much, it is only preseason. Still, we didn't have time problems, no freezing his own kicker etc. So a bonus for sure.

I want him to succeed as that means the team succeeds. Enough said.

erod

Reaction score
Now two preseaon games after writing this original post, I not only haven't changed my mind, I feel even more sure about Garrett and the new structure of the coaching staff. Everything seems to make sense right now, and everyone seems confident and comfortable.