A.J. Epenasa

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Now that being said, what gives me pause with Epenesa is my previous whiff on Joey Bosa. I thought he was a big power end with mehhh speed who couldn't turn the corner, but at the Combine, he showed elite change of direction ability. The dude has proved me wrong, because has had no problem getting around the corner in the pros; he's up to 40 sacks in his first four years. Then his little brother comes into the pros with the exact same measurable and exact same game, and he destroys pro tackles too. Epenesa occasionally shows some good bend on the edge, so I'll be watching his agility drills at the Combine. With top notch power + hands + bend, here's potential for him to be another Bosa-brother type.
LOL. I came back to this thread to post almost the exact same thing. I was wrongish on Bosa for the same reason, and Epenesa is growing on me a lot the more I watch.

I don't know if he's quite as explosive as Bosa, but his hands and strength should allow him to capture the edge anyways - and he's an inch taller. Even if Epenesa can't play with much bend, he should win on the rush a lot anyways. And just his strength and violence should make him impactful on almost every play, which someone like Quinn isn't even close to doing.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Epenesa is one of my favorite players in this draft and looks tailor-made for a 4-3 defensive end. He and Kinlaw will be the two players I'm pulling for at 17. I think some underrate Epenesa because he's not going to play DE in a 3-4 base nor will he play stand up LB in a 3-4. He's a pure 4-3 end and I think that devalues his stock a little. His hands are as heavy as I've seen and he's strong like bull. I love the production with 26.5 sacks, 36.5 tackles for loss, 9 forced fumbles, 8 passes tipped, 1 blocked punt, and a fumble return for TD. He's disruptive, violent, plays with a nasty ( I'm talking mean) attitude, and comes from a well coached program known for it's blue collar work type athletes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL. I came back to this thread to post almost the exact same thing. I was wrongish on Bosa for the same reason, and Epenesa is growing on me a lot the more I watch.

Same.. After Joey Bosa I have to acknowledge that I suck at evaluating this type of defensive end.

I thought Bosa was just going to be a solid player and he is much more then that.

These big 4.7 - 4.8 40 guys are really hard to evaluate as RE's.

You don't know if you're getting Joey Bosa, Greg Ellis, or Taco Charlton.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Same.. After Joey Bosa I have to acknowledge that I suck at evaluating this type of defensive end.

I thought Bosa was just going to be a solid player and he is much more then that.

Taco was a weird prospect. Super slow 40, but his other measurables were good for a big DE, so you could overlook in terms of athletic ability. Played through a high ankle sprain at UM, then went soft in the pro's

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I don't know if he's quite as explosive as Bosa, but his hands and strength should allow him to capture the edge anyways - and he's an inch taller. Even if Epenesa can't play with much bend, he should win on the rush a lot anyways. And just his strength and violence should make him impactful on almost every play, which someone like Quinn isn't even close to doing.
What are your thoughts on him playing form a 5T position if we try to run multiple fronts?

cnuball21

Reaction score

Marcus Mosher is a great twitter follow if you haven’t heard of him.

He swears by looking at DEs that run a sub 4.8 40 and a average 1.5 or more TFls as having a great hit rate. He’s got some cool chart that showcase the hit rate and it’s pretty impressive.

Epenesa has back to back years of solid production, but I’ll be anxious to see what kind of athlete he is.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on him playing form a 5T position if we try to run multiple fronts?
As opposed to a 7? I don't think the distinction between 5-tech and 7-tech matters too much. He's probably not going to be fast enough to play the 9, so the responsibility will almost always be setting the edge on the tackle (assuming there's no stunt/slant). I think he'd be real solid at the POA as a 5 maybe in short yardage situations, but I'd just say whatever he's more comfortable with in the nickel.

If they ran some 3-fronts or something, like in a 3-3-5 nickel, I could see him being effective as a 4 too. With his length, I think he'd be hard to defend when the OL doesn't start with leverage.

Gremell12

Reaction score
I’d take him if he’s there ALL DAY. Fact is, dts are great but in terms of the draft get me an established pass rusher that has taken over 4th quarters and been elite late in games and a he’s been a good run defender. He would be great in a 3-4 front too and since we may switch up sometimes he’d be a great versatile piece. Maybe even kick in on a 4-3 to rush. We can sign a D.J reader (My guy) or someone else. I have a feeling Robert Quinn will be costly. We let him unleash in our defense and he thrived and i think a team will thrown a good 2 year deal for alot of $$$ (pats?). This lets us use money for maybe a secondary piece or something else (better byron offer/chris jones?).

P.S i saw a metric somewhere (you’ll have to trust me on this) that showed our right side of the d line was worse against the rushing game than the left. Demarcus Lawerence was very good in the run game. Maybe a little disappointing rushing the passer but he had a real good season despite some people saying otherwise. I believe if we get him a guy who is very good in the run game on that side we can also let them pin their ears back and still be sufficient. Like spagnola says, you have to stop the run game. You have to earn the right to rush the qb.

Last edited:

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I’d take him if he’s there ALL DAY. Fact is, dts are great but in terms of the draft get me an established pass rusher that has taken over 4th quarters and been elite late in games and a he’s been a good run defender. He would be great in a 3-4 front too and since we may switch up sometimes he’d be a great versatile piece. Maybe even kick in on a 4-3 to rush. We can sign a D.J reader (My guy) or someone else. I have a feeling Robert Quinn will be costly. We let him unleash in our defense and he thrived and i think a team will thrown a good 2 year deal for alot of $$$ (pats?). This lets us use money for maybe a secondary piece or something else (better byron offer/chris jones?).

P.S i saw a metric somewhere (you’ll have to trust me on this) that showed our right side of the d line was worse against the rushing game than the left. Demarcus Lawerence was very good in the run game. Maybe a little disappointing rushing the passer but he had a real good season despite some people saying otherwise. I believe if we get him a guy who is very good in the run game on that side we can also let them pin their ears back and still be sufficient. Like spagnola says, you have to stop the run game. You have to earn the right to rush the qb.

Lawrence is a beast against the run, and the right side lacked a good run stopping DE in base but by the metrics I'm sure the right side with Quinn is was better against the pass. The same as Spencer and Ware era.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I was against him but with the talk of Delpit and Mckinney it makes AJ look like JJ Watt. I think hes would be make us forget about Taco fail

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Marcus Mosher is a great twitter follow if you haven’t heard of him.

He swears by looking at DEs that run a sub 4.8 40 and a average 1.5 or more TFls as having a great hit rate. He’s got some cool chart that showcase the hit rate and it’s pretty impressive.

Epenesa has back to back years of solid production, but I’ll be anxious to see what kind of athlete he is.
Has he put together a list of prospects that qualify and could you post it if so? I’m not on Twitter.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This guy won't be there when we pick, but I like him a lot. Who doesn't want a big and physical front four that can control the line of scrimmage? That's what this guy brings to the table.

Problem is....in the NFL I think his best side will be on the strong side (left) which is D-Law's best side....we resign Quinn...(I think we do)....then you got the Taco Charlton problem all over again. Who you gonna sit?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I want to see a display of some athleticism at the Combine.

He looks like a LE playing RE.

:hammer:......I don't see him as a pass rusher. Honestly....I see this guy...and the first guy that comes to mind is Tyrone Crawford. Another reason why I'd hate the pick....so your gonna cut Crawford...and replace him w/ your top pick? I don't see how your really gaining anything....sounds like your wasting your top pick.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think Epenesa would beva day 1 starter and productive. Resigning Quinn is a waste. Im not saying hes Bosa but he damn sure isnt Taco. Tacos film was trash.....epenesas film is quality vs quality competition

IlliniNation

Reaction score
He went to high school about and hour and half away from me. Kid was a freak in HS. I may like him more because of his local ties. But I wouldnt mind seeing him taken, if they sign a S free agent.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Has he put together a list of prospects that qualify and could you post it if so? I’m not on Twitter.

I wasn’t able to dig it up on a quick search but basically the list of DEs that run a sub 4.8 and average 1.5 TFLs per game in college have a fairly high hit rate.

If A.J. runs sub 4.8 he’ll pass.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
:hammer:......I don't see him as a pass rusher. Honestly....I see this guy...and the first guy that comes to mind is Tyrone Crawford. Another reason why I'd hate the pick....so your gonna cut Crawford...and replace him w/ your top pick? I don't see how your really gaining anything....sounds like your wasting your top pick.
Crawford was a 5T prospect that they had to try to turn into something else after they switched to a 4-3. Crawford was never going to be a true fit outside in a 4-3. They really arent that comparable