A Letter To ESPN

CommonCents

Reaction score
Dear ESPN,

I understand the complex and various dynamics that the many hard working people at ESPN studios endure in order to bring its viewers detailed, timely, and entertaining sports news as it happens. You have my respect for the coordinated effort & committment with which you have met the challenge of that task throughout the years. I am a dedicated viewer, & a passionate sports fan. Your work is most greatly appreciated by sports fans the world over, including myself. However, this network has failed sports fans miserabely over the course of the last several years.

I find myself very disturbed, and often deeply troubled by the tactics, antics, and perceived abuse of what should be fair & balanced journalism by some of the producers at your studio. I can not speak for the american public, put I am choosing to take this time to speak for myself.

In recent years, the televised course chosen by your network has significantly deviated from sports jounalism & reporting, to tabloid entertainment t.v.. Your company shapes and molds the minds of young people across the country, your company influences the inner workings & business decisions of the leagues in which it covers. You have made more capital than almost every other business sector in this nation as a result...

And as silly as it makes me feel to try, I can't help but try to make you reconsider your current philosophy & the overwhelmingly negitive impact it is having on all of our youths (as a Black man, I am even more bothered by BET. In fact, I stopped watching several years ago.) I am asking, I am begging, and I am pleading. Please, tone it down. As a individual, the only thing I can do is not watch, but that does nothing to resolve the problem or the social impact that results.

24 hours of Ron Artest coverage is far too much. Is he a story? Yes, he is. But, in the world of sports news the Ron Artest trade did not merit the intense & indepth coverage that it recieved. Meanwhile, some of the most interesting stories go unreported at all, or end up becoming a mere crawl on the bottom ticker.

The Kobe Bryant court proceedings, Shaq & Phil leaving, Kobe & Shaq, the brawl at the Palace, Ron Artest, the steriod hearings, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson's T.D. dances, T.O. & McNabb, the sex boat, Tice scalping tickets, steriods, lockerroom fights, Sex & Tennis, who's dating who, Tigers hair, who's the sexiest polls, who got shot at the nightclub, who had a fight with their wife, who got arrested for public drunkeness, who got caught with dope, who paid for a prostitute, got got caught with a gun, etc, etc, etc...and it all gets put on camera with a microphone & then replayed over and over and over at loud volume.

Meaningless stats, and the endless glorification of individual feats dehumanize the players, and belittle the team concept while undermining the common goal.

Can you focus your journalism & reporting efforts to what takes place on the field, between the lines, and on the court? Or maybe my wife is right...and I'm just oldfashion. I'm 29, and oldfashion.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Before ESPN, it was a difficult world to keep up with sporting events, etc. You must be to young to remember. ESPN, like all media, makes mistakes, but take ESPN off the air and you would be a lost puppy!

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
CommonCents said:
Dear ESPN,

I understand the complex and various dynamics that the many hard working people at ESPN studios endure in order to bring its viewers detailed, timely, and entertaining sports news as it happens. You have my respect for the coordinated effort & committment with which you have met the challenge of that task throughout the years. I am a dedicated viewer, & a passionate sports fan. Your work is most greatly appreciated by sports fans the world over, including myself. However, this network has failed sports fans miserabely over the course of the last several years.

I find myself very disturbed, and often deeply troubled by the tactics, antics, and perceived abuse of what should be fair & balanced journalism by some of the producers at your studio. I can not speak for the american public, put I am choosing to take this time to speak for myself.

In recent years, the televised course chosen by your network has significantly deviated from sports jounalism & reporting, to tabloid entertainment t.v.. Your company shapes and molds the minds of young people across the country, your company influences the inner workings & business decisions of the leagues in which it covers. You have made more capital than almost every other business sector in this nation as a result...

And as silly as it makes me feel to try, I can't help but try to make you reconsider your current philosophy & the overwhelmingly negitive impact it is having on all of our youths (as a Black man, I am even more bothered by BET. In fact, I stopped watching several years ago.) I am asking, I am begging, and I am pleading. Please, tone it down. As a individual, the only thing I can do is not watch, but that does nothing to resolve the problem or the social impact that results.

24 hours of Ron Artest coverage is far too much. Is he a story? Yes, he is. But, in the world of sports news the Ron Artest trade did not merit the intense & indepth coverage that it recieved. Meanwhile, some of the most interesting stories go unreported at all, or end up becoming a mere crawl on the bottom ticker.

The Kobe Bryant court proceedings, Shaq & Phil leaving, Kobe & Shaq, the brawl at the Palace, Ron Artest, the steriod hearings, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson's T.D. dances, T.O. & McNabb, the sex boat, Tice scalping tickets, steriods, lockerroom fights, Sex & Tennis, who's dating who, Tigers hair, who's the sexiest polls, who got shot at the nightclub, who had a fight with their wife, who got arrested for public drunkeness, who got caught with dope, who paid for a prostitute, got got caught with a gun, etc, etc, etc...and it all gets put on camera with a microphone & then replayed over and over and over at loud volume.

Meaningless stats, and the endless glorification of individual feats dehumanize the players, and belittle the team concept while undermining the common goal.

Can you focus your journalism & reporting efforts to what takes place on the field, between the lines, and on the court? Or maybe my wife is right...and I'm just oldfashion. I'm 29, and oldfashion.

I don't see the big deal? And I am not trying to be rude about it. But it is a sports network and sporting news channel. Where else would you want things of this nature to be viewed?

xpistofer

Reaction score
CommonCents said:
Dear ESPN,

I applaud you.
You and I both know it won't accomplish much, but...better to go down fighting than to be apathetic, thus contributing to the problem.

kudos to ya bro!

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
FOr something that sucks so much, I cnat believe I continue to watch it.

Watch 1st and 10, Around the Horn, PTI, and then Sportscenter...its all teh same thing.

The anchors are so annoying, because they think they are bigger than the game. Is it hard to say "Kobe sinks the 3"...do they have to say "cooler than the other side of the pillow"

Does Stuart Scott really think we believe he has an ounce of street cred?

Some of the guys are alright, but I'd love if theyd just tell you what happened without their little "flare"..its not cute.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
CommonCents said:
Dear ESPN,

CommonCents, that was well written and well thought out. I doubt it will accomplish much but I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am a bit older than you (47) and remember a time when sports journalism had some credibility but not anymore. The 'mediots' have become tabloid journalists and focused on what is controvertial rather than what is news-worthy.

I also agree with you that the 'highlights' on SportsCenter have been one of the major causes of the individualistic play and attitude of many athletes. Some players like Deion Sanders, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and their ilk have actually used their 'face time' to garner big contracts, force trades, etc.

I wrote a similar letter to ESPN about 10 years ago and never received a response from them so don't expect anything back.

Great job my friend.

Eddie

Reaction score
I have to agree, I find myself barely watching ESPN anymore. Sunday Countdown and Primetime are about all the ESPN I can take.

ESPN is going down the road of MTV and VH1 ... as those media outlets have stopped playing music videos and focused on XXX, XXX, and more XXX.

For sports news, I find myself simply coming to the CowboysZone.

morieeel

Reaction score
Why do they choose these outlets?? I guess they have multiple marketing "experts". I also use to love the speed channel for all the different type of racing, but now they have completley gutted it for reality and Nascar shows.

In regards to ESPN, I also compare them to Sports Illustrated. I'm old enough to remember when the magazine would report on the higlighted game of that week. They would give details of the matchup, strategies, and overall detail of what happen. Now days its People magazine for sports. Instead of what defense was used in this quarter, now its what the star player was doing the night before. THe only time I buy the rag is at an airport.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Don Henley said it best...

"I make my living off the Evening news.
Just give me something, something I can use.
People love it when you lose.
They love dirty laundry."

As long as it equals ratings, they will play the story. If they didn't then their competitiors would say they don't cover the important topics. Fact of life.

Zman5

Reaction score
ESPN = Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

Yes it is a predominantly a sports network but there is also the Entertainment programming part.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
An effort in futility most likely, but I applaud the humility CC... I'll stand with you on this effort... I'm 36 and old fashioned as well. I've seen ESPN in it's infancy... but presently it seems more like the Enquirer Sports Programming Network. Again, nice letter.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
morieeel said:
Why do they choose these outlets?? I guess they have multiple marketing "experts". I also use to love the speed channel for all the different type of racing, but now they have completley gutted it for reality and Nascar shows.

In regards to ESPN, I also compare them to Sports Illustrated. I'm old enough to remember when the magazine would report on the higlighted game of that week. They would give details of the matchup, strategies, and overall detail of what happen. Now days its People magazine for sports. Instead of what defense was used in this quarter, now its what the star player was doing the night before. THe only time I buy the rag is at an airport.

Great point, I not looking to be entertained or entertainment. I only watch ESPN when there is a sports game on that I want to see...and the JAWS breakdown if I can catch that before a game.

With the Cowboys on a lot of 4pm games and Primetime games I hardly ever watch the pre-game shows.

I have stopped watching because its People magazine for sports. Instead of what defense was used in this quarter, now its what the star player was doing the night before.

Having said that, I really don't watch the NFL channel that much either, of course I get that on my dish where I only get the Sunday ticket a no other regular programming...So I rarely fire up the dish unless I need to watch the Boys.

Is the NFL channel any better ? If not, maybe there is a market for pure sports analysis and not entertainment.

notherbob

Reaction score
Since I don't have cable or satellite, I have never watched ESPN. Doesn't look like I'm missing much. Never heard of Ron Artest so he's probably not an NFL football player.

I have a TV, but it's never on unless there's an NFL game on (or local breaking weather news). Outside the NFL, I have little use for TV even though we can get 5 or 6 channels, there's no PBS - :( I would watch that sometimes but The local folk see both educational TV and Public Radio as tools of the devil and so we can't get either one. I guess that's a small price to pay for the magnificent solitude of living way out in the country away from all the nuts in the big cities.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
nice letter CC. it will fall on deaf ears as the screeners/interns will have laugh about what you wrote and giggle like beavis & butthead among themselves, but nonetheless nice work. :)

jimmy40

Reaction score
CommonCents said:
Dear ESPN,

My main problem with ESPN is the people on ESPN try to be bigger than the sports/stories they're reporting on.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN NEWS
ESPN CLASSIC
ESPN HD
ESPN RADIO
ESPN.COM

We all have the ultimate choice - turn the channel. Turn it off. Fact is people are watching it in droves. All you have to do is drive out to Bristol CT, its infinitely built up from 15 years ago.

You try and air 24 hours of sports/news without some entertainment element. Would suck.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Nors said:
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN NEWS
ESPN CLASSIC
ESPN HD
ESPN RADIO
ESPN.COM

We all have the ultimate choice - turn the channel. Turn it off. Fact is people are watching it in droves. All you have to do is drive out to Bristol CT, its infinitely built up from 15 years ago.

You try and air 24 hours of sports/news without some entertainment element. Would suck.

What, no ESPN Ocho ?

Went by there last Fall. The place is HUGE now. Although I guess I'm not part of the droves...Still think it would be cool to work there tho :)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
You guys sound like commies. This is America. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
What's missing is good old-fashioned competition.

The old CNN-SI network wasn't strong enough and folded.

There are a lot of things about ESPN that I don't like, but it's the only game in town, for the most part.

Competition always is a good thing.