A little horn tooting...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
So, on a lark, I joined a songwriting contest.

Oddly and appropriately enough, it was sponsored by the Dallas Songwriters Assoc, quite a large Association.

Anyway, I entered the category which featured all the heavy hitters, "Instrumentals...classical, Jazz, etc" which was pretty nervy for a self taught guitarist.

And who was chosen for first prize? Yeah, the kid from Brooklyn NY who looks at sheet music and sez, "What are all those little dots about?"

If you're so inclined...

http://www.dallassongwriters.org/

DSA 2005 SONG CONTEST WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Click "click here for details" and scroll down to the "Instrumental / TV / Film / Classical / Jazz" category.

Here's the final review of my song, "Heaven and Earth"

This instrumental is a uncomplicated melody that wouldn’t leave my brain. After listening through the CD a couple of times, I couldn’t figure out where this tune in my head was coming from. It kept repeating over and over again. On a subsequent listen through the list, I realized that’s what was stuck in my head all day yesterday…The melody is simple, memorable, effortless and unforced. Song structure is straightforward without complexity… Production comment: Playing is rushed at times and almost didn’t consider it because of it. Still love it and would love to hear it again with a new production.

:D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
That's great Juke... nice work and congrats...

BUT... please refrain from tooting in the forums...

btw... is there a link to the tune?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Catchy little tune. I particularly like the chorus that plays at :50, 1:50 and 3:10.

Thanks...

The final review has it right on the nose, I kinda knocked it off...heard what was a bit sloppy and in typical rock musician mode said "Ah the hell with it...it's fine..no one is going to listen to it anyway." Duh.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Congrats Juke!

You already know how I feel about your work so I will not go on and on now.

However I would like to let others know...that on that song...You used two Nylons. :eek:

Maybe they won't know what I mean :lmao2:

Great work and Congrats again. :yourock:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
Thanks...

The final review has it right on the nose, I kinda knocked it off...heard what was a bit sloppy and in typical rock musician mode said "Ah the hell with it...it's fine..no one is going to listen to it anyway." Duh.

Remember what I said buddy...never take those out because they always add flavor, character and reality to a piece...keeps if from sounding to sterile.

Love the finger scratches.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Congrats Juke!

You already know how I feel about your work so I will not go on and on now.

However I would like to let others know...that on that song...You used two Nylons. :eek:

Thanks Fellow Wingman...

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Very nice job, Juke.

Nothing like the sound of a nylon.

Here's a strange yet complimentary analysis for you.
The Legend of Zelda saga of video games have really become masterpieces of gaming, creativity and atmosphere in recent years. Since console gaming and memory has become so advanced, the soundtracks to the games have really taken off as well. They really set the tone for the gaming experience and take the gameplay to the next level. Often, they even use entire orchestras of original music to theme levels, etc. (I have even recorded some tracks from video games for my own collection of music to listen to in the car or home, etc.) Some of my favorite pieces are played in the background during downtempo moments of the games while strolling around a small village and interacting with the local townspeople in order to gain knowledge to assist you in your quests. In a nutshell, that is exactly where this piece of music takes me. A wandering lullabye. Very nice work.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Did ya run across The Hutch and Flowers Musical Avalanch anywhere?

;)

Nice job.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
...You used two Nylons. :eek:

Strings =)

Some of us play.

Gratz Jukie. That is one fine accomplishment.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
This instrumental is a uncomplicated melody that wouldn’t leave my brain. After listening through the CD a couple of times, I couldn’t figure out where this tune in my head was coming from. It kept repeating over and over again. On a subsequent listen through the list, I realized that’s what was stuck in my head all day yesterday…The melody is simple, memorable, effortless and unforced. Song structure is straightforward without complexity…
:D

That's EXACTLY what I said! :)

Juke, I am thrilled for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
That's EXACTLY what I said! :)

Juke, I am thrilled for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Musie....you're much better than Sharon Stone.

jem88

Reaction score
Nice work. Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but there's a little Alex Lifeson being invoked in there. I love throwing spontaneous songs down. I'll take a rushed spontaneous song with feeling over an overly-rehearsed song. Congrats!