A Little Known Cowboys History Fact

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The NFL Draft used to be held at the end of the season rather than in April for the off season. When the Cowboys were awarded their franchise the 1960 NFL Draft had already happened. They are the only NFL expansion team ever to be denied a Draft to begin building their franchise. The existing 12 teams were allowed to protect 25 players each. The Cowboys were then given 24 hours to select 36 players to begin their team from the unprotected rosters. They couldn't select more than 3 players from any one team.

So on this date in 1961, and the 28th, 47 years ago, the Dallas Cowboys had their first draft. Here were their selections.

1...Bob Lilly, DT, Texas Christian (1961-1974)

Hall of Fame...8/2/80
Ring of Honor...11/23/75, Bob Lilly Day in Dallas, TX
11 Time Pro Bowl...1962, 64-73
6 time All Pro...1964-65, 67-69, 71
2...EJ Holub, C, Texas Tech
3...Stew Barber, G, Penn State
4...Arnold Davis, E, Baylor
7...Art Gilmore, B, Oregon State
8...Don Talbert, T, Texas (1962, 1965, 1971)
9...Glynn Gregory, B, Southern Methodist (1961-1962)
11...Norris Stevenson, B Missouri
12...Lowndes Shingler, QB, Clemson
13...Don Goodman, B, Florida
14...Billy Shaw, T, Georgia Tech
15...Julius Varnado, T, Cal State - San Francisco
16...Jerry Steffen, B, Colorado
17...Everett Cloud, B, Maryland
18...Randy Williams, B, Indiana
19...Lynn Hoyem, C, Long Beach State (1962-1963)
20...Jerry Morgan, B, Iowa State

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Almost forgot. 49 years ago today Clint Murchison hired Tom Landry to be his first Head Coach.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Something is wrong here.

Holub was drafted by the Dallas Texans and moved with them to KC..

EDIT-----OH I see, that is the draft, not the Cowboys' selections....sorry

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2526026 said:
Almost forgot. 49 years ago today Clint Murchison hired Tom Landry to be his first Head Coach.

I'd say that worked out.

http://img522.*************/img522/2491/u1515892sb2.jpg

notherbob

Reaction score
5Countem5;2526145 said:
Something is wrong here.

You're right, I saw EJ Holub play in a game against the NY Titans (later became the Jets) and Holub was playing LB for them. Cotton Davidson was their QB and their RB was Abner Haynes. That's all I remember except that it was played at P. C. Cobb Stadium, an old stadium that was torn down to make way for the Infomart.

I wonder, was EJ Holub one of those guys who was drafted by both leagues and signed with the AFL instead of the NFL?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5Countem5;2526145 said:
Something is wrong here.

The AFL was drafting players at the same time as the NFL in those days. We drafted him, so did they. He signed with them instead.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2526179 said:
The AFL was drafting players at the same time as the NFL in those days. We drafted him, so did they. He signed with them instead.

WHAT A *******!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One more interesting Historical fact for today.

On this date in 1998 we beat the Commanders to finish the only sweep of the NFC East when it was a 5 team division. None of the other 4 teams ever won all 8 games against the Division.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
notherbob;2526167 said:
You're right, I saw EJ Holub play in a game against the NY Titans (later became the Jets) and Holub was playing LB for them. Cotton Davidson was their QB and their RB was Abner Haynes. That's all I remember except that it was played at P. C. Cobb Stadium, an old stadium that was torn down to make way for the Infomart.

I wonder, was EJ Holub one of those guys who was drafted by both leagues and signed with the AFL instead of the NFL?

That is a name I haven't heard since I was collecting football cards at the age of about 10.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;2526645 said:
One more interesting Historical fact for today.

On this date in 1998 we beat the Commanders to finish the only sweep of the NFC East when it was a 5 team division. None of the other 4 teams ever won all 8 games against the Division.

ANd we lost to the Cards in the first playoff game.

I was there. The first time the cowboys had a chance to beat a team 3 times in one year. They failed.

Last year, the second time the cowboys had a chance to beat a team 3 times in one season. They failed. I was there too.

:banghead:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack;2526717 said:

I was there. The first time the cowboys had a chance to beat a team 3 times in one year. They failed.

Last year, the second time the cowboys had a chance to beat a team 3 times in one season. They failed. I was there too.

Worse yet. The Cardinals have been around since 1920. They have exactly 2 wins in their post season History. They won the 1 and done 1947 NFL Championship and that game. 2 wins, 5 losses. In their entire History. One of the wins was over us after we swept them in the Regular season.

Yeah, that irks me a bit.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Wasn't Dandy Don signed to a personal service contract and actually the first player the Cowboys signed/picked... I believe it was even before the Dallas Cowboys were named the Dallas Cowboys and were believed to be the Dallas Rangers

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2526717 said:

I like you big guy but...You are not allowed to go to anymore playoff games. :p:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Zaxor;2526797 said:
Wasn't Dandy Don signed to a personal service contract and actually the first player the Cowboys signed/picked... I believe it was even before the Dallas Cowboys were named the Dallas Cowboys and were believed to be the Dallas Rangers
Don Meredith was drafted in 1960 by the Bears who then traded him to the Cowboys for future draft picks.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
14...Billy Shaw, T, Georgia Tech

Billy Shaw was also drafted by the Buffalo Bills and signed with them instead. He was inducted into the HoF a few years ago. GRRRR

Both he and Holub were selected in earlier rounds by the AFL teams and would get better contracts from then than from us.

That 1961 draft produced 7 HoFers:

Bob Lilly
Mike Ditka
Jimmy Johnson
Billy Shaw
Herb Adderley
Fran Tarkenton
David Deacon Jones

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;2526838 said:
Billy Shaw was also drafted by the Buffalo Bills and signed with them instead. He was inducted into the HoF a few years ago. GRRRR

Both he and Holub were selected in earlier rounds by the AFL teams and would get better contracts from then than from us.

That 1961 draft produced 7 HoFers:

Bob Lilly
Mike Ditka

Jimmy Johnson
Billy Shaw
Herb Adderley
Fran Tarkenton
David Deacon Jones
3 of them played for us at one time or another.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;2526841 said:
3 of them played for us at one time or another.

True.

Some other notable players from that draft:

OT Jim Tryer (how is he not in the HoF?)
DE Jerry Mays
DT Houston Antwine
TE Fred Arbanas
OT Stew Barber
RB Keith Lincoln
DE Earl Faison
LB E.J. Holub
OT Ernie McMillan
DT "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd
DE Larry Eisenhauer
FB Bill Brown
QB Norm Snead
RB Curtis McClinton
DE Ben Davidson (all we need is one pin Rodney!)
OT Charley Cowan
LB Myron Pottios
RB Tommy Mason
DB Irv Cross
DE Ron McDole
RB Tom Matte
OG Joe Scibelli
K Fred Cox
C Mike Pyle
TE Lee Folkins (played for us for a few years)
C Greg Larson
LB Mike Lucci
QB Charley Johnson
P Bobby Walden
QB Billy Kilmer
RB Bernie Casey
LB Marlin McKeever
RB Elijah Pitts
LB Steve Stonebreaker (great name for a LB)
OT Errol Linden
DB Ed Sharockman
DT Roland Lakes

That was a very stocked draft!