A look at our LBer issues

dfense

Reaction score
More alarming is how the entire front 7 is manhandled. Some of those plays it looks like they are just trying to avoid the blockers than get to the runner. This defense has a physicality problem.

jrumann59

Reaction score
DLaw only drops onto coverage when they play 3-4.

They only play 3-4 on run downs.

Summary:
A couple of times per game DLaw drops into coverage on run downs usually covering the RB.

There have been many problems on defense. DLaw dropping into coverage a small number of times is not one of them.

To a degree yes, but him playing out of a two point stance to "confuse" the read does him no favors either. He is not an Aldon or Gregory that have that physical flexibility to rush out of a two point stance. DLaw is leverage guy, if he had the "bend" he would be lining up on the other side. He is in essence Tony Tolbert not charles haley.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To a degree yes, but him playing out of a two point stance to "confuse" the read does him no favors either. He is not an Aldon or Gregory that have that physical flexibility to rush out of a two point stance. DLaw is leverage guy, if he had the "bend" he would be lining up on the other side. He is in essence Tony Tolbert not charles haley.

Good post.

Good observation about DLaw as a leverage player.

Playing from a 2 point stance is a different issue than dropping into coverage.

The primary reason Nolan has him play in a 2 point stance is for outside run contain. DE often have outside contain responsibility regardless of stance. From a 2 point, he gets about 2 steps head start on outside runs as compared to hand down.

I'm convinced based on watching Griffen that DLaw has the option to play hand down far more often than he does it. I think Nolan wants 1 outside player in 2 point. On the snaps where Aldon Smith was on the other side (not Griffen) then I think DLaw could put his hand down.

They play either a 4-2-5 or 3-4 alignment.

They sometimes have the DEs in the 4-2-5 stand up.

The 3-4 is a run downs alignment.

DLaw in coverage is most likely in the 3-4 and most often vs a RB in the flat. He was going to be focused on run defense unless the RB runs a route to his side.

When they have been in 3rd and medium or longer, DLaw rushes the passer. He is rarely if ever in coverage in those situations.

Cmac

Reaction score
Simple......speed missing at every LB spot.

CWR

Reaction score
It's completely stunning that we went from 2018 to this. It wasn't like Smith and LVE played like hall of famers in 2018 but my god, the drop off over two years has been stunning. Smith's drop off has been ridiculous. He went from good in 2018 to a really poor LB (granted there were signs last year he was trending this way). LVE gets a pass mostly and he should probably praise the Lord Smith is on the team since it takes eyeballs away from him and his play.

PS - The comment about Lawrence in coverage is priceless. Another reason why Nolan has to go. He's trying to fit square pegs into round holes. I bet Lawrence has dropped into coverage more times in 7 games this year than he has in the previous 3 years combined.

I still believe LVE can be a damn good LB if he has the right players around him. No one is going to overcome this mess of a defense on their own.

That said if I had my choice I would take a game changing LB over any other position. Imagine having a Ray Lewis type of dawg anchoring the D. Then LVE can feed off of him and probably do really well IF IF IF he can stay healthy.

It does blow my mind how awesome they looked in 2018. Legitimately I thought we were well on our way to having the 2 best LBS in football.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is no doubt issues at linebacker, but the DT's in front of them are suppose to protect them somewhat, which they clearly don't. In my opinion, both areas need to be upgraded, along with many other spots within the defense. This process is going to take sometime to get right.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like Jaylon and LVE.
i hope we continue to address our DTs.
they need the help up-front.
hopefully Van Jaylon gets back to kickin' some ***.
but that wouldn't or shouldn't stop us from addressing our LBs in the draft.
if Dylan Moses is on the board...you turn in his card and move on with your day.
like CBs and DEs...you can never have enuff LBs...regardless of your starters.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I still believe LVE can be a damn good LB if he has the right players around him. No one is going to overcome this mess of a defense on their own.

That said if I had my choice I would take a game changing LB over any other position. Imagine having a Ray Lewis type of dawg anchoring the D. Then LVE can feed off of him and probably do really well IF IF IF he can stay healthy.

It does blow my mind how awesome they looked in 2018. Legitimately I thought we were well on our way to having the 2 best LBS in football.
i still think some of it is they are young...and thats why they get themselves out of position.
i think they try to hard...which leads to sloppy plays.
hopefully...some day...we get some quality play from our DTs.
i'd love to see how Van Jaylon performs then.

Reactions: CWR

cowboyec

Reaction score
You have two finesse backers who excel when they're told to just attack. Don't think, just attack. But you're asking them to sit back and read and react. One guy has no lateral mobility, so he's already behind the ball on any "react" plays. The other has great instincts, but has absolutely no ability to get off blocks and often runs himself out of plays.

They have to give Jaylon and LVE set responsibility on every single play. One of them should probably be blitzing on every play, the problem is that means the other is probably covering.

I think if it was just Jaylon, or just LVE, they could be schemed into playing well and making lots of splash plays. The issue is whoever is left to read/react IS going to blow it every single time.

I believe LVE and Jaylon can be successful together. I believe they can be formidable together. For that to happen, however, this defense needs a dramatic makeover. I know everyone wants fat guys in the middle, but it's more delicate than that. Dallas needs an intelligent penetrating DT who doesn't guess wrong. They need that DT to make the calls back to the LBs so they know which gap he's hitting, so they know their assignments.

Whats happening in the Dallas defense is a critical failure on every level. Not enough talent. Poor scheming. Poor coaching. Not putting players in position to take advantage of their strengths. Poor skill pairings. The whole defense is trash, top to bottom.

I think it's going to take at least two years to field a strong defense. They have to decide on an identity and scheme and then get the talent for it.
they need to communicate with each other.
DL...LBs...DBs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This comes from Blogging the Boys.

This is extremely unnerving. When we discuss these two guys plus we add Lee into the mix..

It's just no wonder the DL does not get much help and the secondary is just a lick and a promise.

Yikes.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...n-vander-esch-are-hurting-the-cowboys-defense

Give LVE a few games to get physically and mentally up to speed.

Jaylon, I'm already done with. I would have traded him in the offseason for a stick of gum if anyone would have taken his contract off our hands. Now they should just sit him to avoid having his injury guarantees kick in for the next 2 years.

Redline360

Reaction score
Why I say JLaw may be the dumbest player in football when it comes to instincts. He's completely clueless

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article ends by saying “It’s crazy how these coaches are choosing to use their players.”
It's easy to point the finger of blame at the players because we can see how they perform each week. But it's what goes on behind the scene that can often dictate we what see. Openly questioning how players are being used happens at almost every position on this team for years.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Injuries is the difference b/w 2018 and now.

Tank has a shoulder surgery that was done too late becuz he used it to leverage his negotiations. He still is not the same.

Lee does his annual 6 game season.

Wolf Hunter is out with his neck as we know.

Jaylon is pretty much in 2020 what he was in 2018.

But not having Lee and Wolfie leave Jaylon naked and overwhelmed.

We have not had much depth that is effective to rotate for any of them.

You are right..the LBers were a huge strength at one brief moment.

Hard to know how to fix it without drafting one high. Unfortunately on our team we need DBs urgently and DLs.

So we will probably wait on LBers for now. Which sux.

Creeper

Reaction score
I like what McCarthy said. If he sees a guy with bad eye he attacks that guy. I don't think it matters where they play Jaylon Smith. The other team will find him and attack him the same way. They will scheme to get him in coverage. The onnly option for Dallas is to take him off the field. But who do they replace him with? They have no real depth at LB and they can't bring in a DB in coverage situations because their DBs are terrible too.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We have seen DLaw dominate.
We have seen a year when Jaylen and LVE both made the pro bowl and made us think we were set at LB.

If you aren’t going to run a scheme that allows your best (or best paid) players to shine, doing what they do best, then you need to let them go and bring in players who do what your scheme demands.

Except for maybe Hill, our Current DTs cannot excel in any scheme, and we need at least one stud who pushes the pocket.

Our secondary is desperate for a #1 CB and #1 S. I don’t mean a #1 draft choice or a super star, but we need a coverage CB who is clearly the best of the group and a safety who is clearly better than the other guy. Once you have those two secondary pieces, your coverage schemes are designed around those strengths.