A lot of question marks regarding all the mid 1st rd lineman, who is the best fit?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Offensive Lineman who are expected to go in that top 25-32 range:

Tackles

Fautanu-many believe he is similar to those Northwestern lineman in Slater/Skronowski
Mims-very similar to Tyron Smith, but similar durability concerns. 8 starts, got injured twice this yr as a full time starter.
Guyton-I have heard immature players numerous times throughout the offseason, high upside, but risky

Fautanu to me is the safest out of the three, but lacks that high upside potential that the other two possess. Mims durability is a huge concern, but he could end up being an all-pro starter, even at Left Tackle down the line. I don't like investing in immature, character concern type players.

Guards/Centers

JPJ-he is being compared to Travis Frederick. Matches up well against those big, NT's. Can anchor and get a push in the run game. Now there are lack of experience questions being a 1 yr starter in the pivot and injury concerns.
Barton-a college tackle who will need to play inside on the NFL level. Did start 1 season at the Center position. I really don't see much of a difference between him and JPJ. There are also some rumblings about his medicals as well.

Fantanu-the safest pick period. Will be a solid day 1 starter and throughout his career.
Mims/JPJ/Barton-all have all pro potential, but have medical/durability concerns.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think we’ll have at least 2 OL to choose from at 24. If I had to guess I’d say JPJ and Guyton, but could easily be wrong on that.

There are 9 1st round lineman that are projected to go in the 1st- Alt, Latham, Fuaga, Fauntanu, Barton, Fashanu, Mims, Guyton and JPJ …that just seems like a lot, 9 out of 1st 23 picks being OL is highly unlikely.

QB-4 (Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy)
OL-9 (above)
WR-4 (MHJ, Nabers, Rome, Thomas)
TE-1 (Bowers)
DE-4 (Turner, Verse, Latu, Chop)
DT-2 (Murphy and Newton)
CB-3 (Mitchell, Arnold, Wiggins)

That’s 27 players (at least) being projected inside the top 25…and I don’t think it would surprise anyone if 1 more QB and WR went, maybe CB too. We’ll have options at 24, just a matter of who.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Tackles

Fautanu-many believe he is similar to those Northwestern lineman in Slater/Skronowski
Mims-very similar to Tyron Smith, but similar durability concerns. 8 starts, got injured twice this yr as a full time starter.
Guyton-I have heard immature players numerous times throughout the offseason, high upside, but risky

Fautanu to me is the safest out of the three, but lacks that high upside potential that the other two possess. Mims durability is a huge concern, but he could end up being an all-pro starter, even at Left Tackle down the line. I don't like investing in immature, character concern type players.

Guards/Centers

JPJ-he is being compared to Travis Frederick. Matches up well against those big, NT's. Can anchor and get a push in the run game. Now there are lack of experience questions being a 1 yr starter in the pivot and injury concerns.
Barton-a college tackle who will need to play inside on the NFL level. Did start 1 season at the Center position. I really don't see much of a difference between him and JPJ. There are also some rumblings about his medicals as well.

Fantanu-the safest pick period. Will be a solid day 1 starter and throughout his career.
Mims/JPJ/Barton-all have all pro potential, but have medical/durability concerns.
I think Faunatu is the best fit. Latham is another guy Im eyeing. Think he could fall

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Heard that JPJ might have issues with multiple concussions, that might make his stock completely drop, perhaps teams taking him off their entire board

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think many see Latham as a future guard. Wonder how the Cowboys view Faunatu as well?
I think Faunatu is a great fit with Smith. You could play either at either position. I think I might feel better about Tyler as an LT.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I hope they’re not locked into taking an OL. Faunatu isn’t going to fall. Big fan of Barton and JPJ, but at this point I would take Murphy or Newton before both.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Heard that JPJ might have issues with multiple concussions, that might make his stock completely drop, perhaps teams taking him off their entire board
where did you hear that? i cant find any info on it.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Fautanu is a zero-risk starter IMO. It's probably at LT, it may be at guard, but he will be a very good NFL player.

Mims is wildly inexperienced, but he put a lot of great things on film in only 8 games. I am surprisingly confident in him. He's got the goods.

Guyton is your classic traits-over-tape project player. He just simply has some mediocre film. The potential is there for a Tyler Smith type breakout, but you are drafting him and crossing your fingers that he improves.

JPJ is a freaking truck. Rare size and power for a center, and he still moves very well. The 1 year of experience doesn't bother me, because he already showed me everything I want to see. I literally don't have any doubts or questions about his game. He's a stud and is on the short list of best center prospects in the past 10 years.

Barton is uber-agile, which usually projects well, but he can get rocked by straight power. He needs time to get stronger. I think he is one of those Connor Williams type OLs who makes good on his second contract and mostly disappoints on his first.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score

Tackles

Guards/Centers

Don't be surprised when we trade back for a 4th.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Don't be surprised when we trade back for a 4th.
We have so many openings/needs that this is exactly what I'm expecting. Especially since it appears they are thinking more about the future (2025) than the present.

J-man

Reaction score
I personally don't see Fauntanu making it to 24 so...Mims?

Carter

Reaction score
Fautanu would be a lock and immediate LT Starter or you start Tyler Smith at LT and let him play LG and than switch after he got used to the NFL.

Both are flexible and great. If he falls to 24 its a no brainer.

From the Inside Players i love Barton. Think he is save starter at Center and can play basically all spots on the O-Line. JPJ has a high upside but a bad hip before you enter the league is too risky for me in the 1st.

Not a fan of Guyton and Mims. Guyton is boom or bust. Mims injury concerns.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
guyton has busy written all over him. Give me Barton or JPJ or trade down

Aven8

Reaction score
Every year someone falls, or the draft doesn’t go as planned like all the mock drafts. Someone will be there at 24.