***A mission of help for all that can Help- KATRINA***

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Star of Hope shelter which is the primary shelter here has been designated clothes provider for area evacuees. You can send clothes directly to this address.

Star Of Hope
Address: 1811 Ruiz St, Houston, TX 77002
Phone: (713) 227-8900

per my job:
The Star of Hope has been designated as the clothes provider for area evacuees "Operation Pickup". The drive-through will be open seven days a week beginning today at noon. The shelter will distribute two sets of clothes and a meal to each family member. A volunteer will meet the car and get information. As the evacuees drive through, they will be give bag lunches and clothes. It also includes diapers and clothes for young children.

The Houston Chronicle has setup a central webpage where folks who want to donate can pick and choose where they want to send resources.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/05/katrina/3334242

Link to donate locally and nationally.

Also:
People who want to volunteer to help at the Reliant Astrodome and Reliant Center must first contact Harris County Citizen Corps/Volunteer Houston. Call 713-965-0031 or go online at www.volunteerhouston.org. Doctors and nurses who can volunteer at refugee clinics should call the Harris County Hospital District, which is coordinating care at 832-667-3153.

If anyone has any questions or would rather send something to a person instead of an organization. PM me and I'll make sure your donation goes where it's supposed to and also try to get a receipt, if desired.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
We donated thru catholiccharities.org - they have a special fund set up for aid to Katrina victims in Houston/Galveston, LA and AL.

But just watching Deion do his very effective spiel (he is heading the campaign to get every professional athlete in the US to donate 1000 dollars), it occurred to me we might do something special thru the Zone.

Perhaps target the area of one or two posters, and make things more personal?

Think it's possible, mods?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
***Let me preface this thread that I know it is off topic, but this is something that is more important then football. That is in no way saying we should not talk football or anything of that nature...but let's not get this thread off topic, let's not have people making rude comments or getting in fights over stuff. This is too serious to be having petty fights over, let's not turn this into a political, or laying blame on this or that for the troubles or other debates****

Our fellow Americans and Human beings are in need of help. Many have nothing left, no home, clothes and just essential items to help them even have a semblance of life.

We are members of one of the bigger fan bases in the US if not the world. We have members of the cowboyszone that span the USA and many countries.

The best initial way to help is giving to the large charities that have been around for years and are able to handle these types of situations..such as Redcross, Salvation Armies, Catholic Charites and others of note. This is the best method due to logistical reasons...knowing they have the man power to best handle such a huge scope.

I am asking for those to help, to help anyway they can. I realize there are many with the financial ability to give money to charities. There are also many members that just do not have the money to give at this time, there may also be members that just do not trust giving what little money they have to orgs that they may never know if it gets to the needy.

For those that do not have much money to give or have problems, for whatever reason, giving money to some organizations...there are alternatives.

I hope we can come together not only as fans but as human beings to help our fellow man in a time of need that is one of the greatest ever in US history.

Chances are we can not help much with people still trapped in NOLA (New Orleans Louisiana),Miss or Alabama chances are we can not just drive down and volunteer...but there are other ways to help.

I work in a small company that is a sheltered workshop, but we also serve as a data entry and other computer related services. So we do not have many that can help but any help is better then no help at all.

I have started a plan for employees to find any clothes and items they can spare to bring to work and we plan on sending them to either a person I have been in contact with in Houston or to an area/charity in Houston that the person I have talked with that will indeed get these items to the people who need them.

I am sure many of us have some extra clothes that we no longer wear, or no longer like or just extra clothes we can spare. I am sure that even though people may not have much money they could visit a local dollar store (or any branch like a dollar store) and maybe by some hygeine products, even if it is just a few items.

I would like to ask a few people in that general area to donate some time to our cause. I would ask them to find agencies and orgs in their area that are giving directly to the people of need.

So maybe at the very least we can get some people in those areas to at least find organizations in there are that they KNOW are getting people the supplies they need. And then we can get addresses for those areas and have people send what they can.

As I mentioned before my company is doing this and my company was good enough to provide the shipping materials and pay for the postage.
Maybe some people could ask their employees if they could ask fellow employees to donate and if they could would the company be willing to at the very least provide boxes to pack the supplies and also pay for the postage of the supplies.

Like I said earlier...I am sure there are many people who just do not have money to send to charities but are still wanting to help in any way they can. By just donating some clothes it can be a big help to those who have lost everything, to people who may never have their homes to go back to and their lives will never be the same. Not only that these people have probably lost all documentation of their lives so it will be difficult for them to get jobs and other areas of need to make life normal again. They need our help. ANY help, no matter how small it may seem, is still help.

WoodysGirl has found some links to local area charities in the Houston area (where many are being sent to now) that we can send stuff as individuals or companies. IF anyone is in another area that they are bringing in these people and once again KNOW of agencies that are helping these people first hand....then please post links or addresses.

I realize many of us are in places so far away that it is almost impossible to get to those areas. But let us try to do what we can no matter how small that help may be.

There have already been millions of American Citizens donating money to charities, there has already been huge amounts of companies and organizations giving money...and if you have already done so then I say thank you...for those that just do not have the money to give...give what you can in other ways like I have mentioned.

I am not one doing this on a soapbox and telling you that you have to do this...I am just an average american citizen of limited monetary means that has had his heartstrings pulled due to this tradgedy. I can not explain the range of emotions and the desire, urge and convictions that makes me say I MUST help in some form or fashion...I am sure I am not alone.

We ask for no pat on the back or that-a-boy...we just want to help and want to do what we can.

Let's try to do this for our fellow man...the scope of this situation in NOLA, Miss and Alabama is just so huge that those people need help. Let's do what we can to give that help.

I know it sounds over the top...but I just do not think I could go without helping in some way and once again I know others feel the same way.

Sorry for rambling on....and thanks in advance for any help you may have given already or will give in the future.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BP, beautifully said!!

I just want to point out tho no one at this time of national emergency will be donating for tax reasons, all clothing/furniture/other items donations to organizations like the Salvation Army are tax deductible. You need merely to list the items, and their worth, and have the voucher signed.

Also, the tax code allows up to a 500 dollar deduction for donations to individuals or associations that do not have a tax exempt status. So if something like clothing or food, as well as money, is given to a family in need, that too meets federal deduction guidelines. It is possible to help a family made homeless by the storm and claim that donation, w/o going thru a charity..

Again, the point is getting help to those in need as soon as possible, and charitable organizations appreciate doing it thru the 'system'..it helps them as well as us to document, and keep their tax exempt status..

My suggestion is get down in the basement tomorrow, and do an inventory of what is no longer needed, and bring it to Salvation Army asap. The wide and deep infrastructure of the charitable organizations is required at this time to expedite items as quickly as possible to those in need.

LSUAmy

Marcus Spears' #1 Fan
Reaction score
Your help is so desperately needed... I cannot even express it to you.

Every night I go to our Red Cross shelter and take care of kids who have lost EVERYTHING... EVERYTHING. They cry when I have to leave them, and my heart is breaking more each and every day.

People are arriving from N.O. to Shreveport on buses... DEAD. DEAD... it's unreal.

If you can't send money... send supplies... clothing... anything. I cannot even express how much your help is needed.

Spontae

Reaction score
Any bit of help is much appreciated. We arrived in Gainesville on Sunday evening and shacked up with friends in a small condo. By Monday afternoon, everyone in the condo development knew of our plight and offered to donate meals, cash and clothes. The generosity of our fellow citizens, most strangers to us, continues to overwhelm us. Even though we lost all of our material possessions save one car, my wife and I feel lucky to have escaped the devastation and cringe as we watch what is happening to our home city via TV. There are many far worse off than us, but we know that the generous spirit of brotherhood and citizenship will help many to pull through.

Thank you for your prayers and for any assistance you provide to those in need.

~Spontae

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Below are some links for the San Antonio releif effort for the evacuees from the devastated areas from the hurrucaine. It is a truelly sad situation, particullarly the plane loads of sick people being ferried in on military aircraft at Lackland Air Force Base.

We have been asked to provide some of our officers to help with the security and maintaining order in the NO area. We have dispatched two officers to the area, (we are a small office), even though we do not have lodging arrangements for the officers, and they will more than likely be staying in their vehicles until something can be worked out. We have some more volunteers ready to follow them, (me included).

Anyway, our prayers go out to the evacuees, and those helping with the releif efforts. May god be with you..............

http://www.stormaid.com/main.html

http://www.unitedwaysatx.org/Pages/Help Line 211.html (dial 211 from your phone in Bexar county.)

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=497677E3-CCFA-4031-8A59-FC8B97BB9588 (list of companies with jobs for the evacuees in San Antonio)

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=187506DD-9490-4B43-9425-1B0ACE7C8ACD (HEB Wal Mart food and toy drive)
www.woai.com, www.ksat.com

BTW, please go to www.woai.com and view the news video of what is going on in San Antonio with the evacuees arriving form these areas.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
AS I write this, we up north are donating to the Red Cross as per BP's suggestion. My family and our neighbours are having a garage sale and bake sale to collect a little dough. At work, similar efforts are being made through our unions and through service organizations as well. I realize that it would be pointless to send items of clothing or durable goods from this far away, but the reality is that money is the best bet at this point.

I know some paramedics and other Social Workers are going at their own cost. These people have past expertise in managing disasters, and they will bring skill and compassion to the stricken area.

I commend anybody doing something, as many hands will make a huge difference.

Take care and congratulations on your efforts,

sincerely,

Phil Norris

wileydawg

Reaction score
My hat is off to the Great State of Texas and it's people for what you folks are doing for the people of New Orleans ....

You truly have the great American spirit, good luck this season ...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Phrozen Phil said:
My family and our neighbours are having a garage sale and bake sale to collect a little dough.

GREAT idea...yard sales, as they're called up here, provide a quick turnover of clothing, household items, to a cash donation.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
My wife (the beautiful lady in my avatar pic) is in the 1st Cav here in Fort Hood. She is leaving to go help out with her unit in the morning. I hope she can help and I hope you all will join me in praying for her safety and the safety and deliverance of the Lousiana residents.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tass said:
My wife (the beautiful lady in my avatar pic) is in the 1st Cav here in Fort Hood. She is leaving to go help out with her unit in the morning. I hope she can help and I hope you all will join me in praying for her safety and the safety and deliverance of the Lousiana residents.
God bless her and keep her safe, Tass.

And her service to her country, it goes w/o saying, is deeply appreciated.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Great job guys and gals!

A lot of the disaster victims are housed in the F.G. Clark Activity Center (Mini Dome) on Southern University Campus and my mom along with a few other neighborhood moms has been very active in providing food, clothing, and diapers, and etc. If we all pitch in we can definitely help lessen the load.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I just want to jump in here and just give big props to the my home state, the GREAT Texas. I just got back from Texas Stadium to donate some things and there was people from this city there donating what they could for the folks from New Orleans.

- Mike G.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks everyone who have donated and those who are still planning to do so. I spent all day yesterday helping some evacuees and well, it's really sad to see it up close and personal. It's impossible to describe in detail, but I will say it's much more organized than it was the first couple days. More shelters have opened. More churches are making themselves to be shelters.

I think the big thing that most are facing is the fear of the unknown. What life was before is not gonna be the same going forward. Finding family members, finding housing, finding jobs, finding clothes (something simple as underwear), and finding food. This is all that I saw just yesterday alone.

Finding family members is a really big thing, because many may start out together in NO, but they're being split up by destination. One guy showed up in Houston thinking his fam was supposed to end up here, as well. Found out later, they continued on to San Antonio. Or you have the guy who had to swim out through nasty water and made it here alive, but is having nightmares, because he doesn't know where his wife and children and is feeling guilty because he doesn't know if they made it out.

These are things that I've seen/heard. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW, the new call is for underwear and feminine products. People still need clothes, but most are lacking in underwear. So if anyone contributes on that level, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

I made a Walmart run for that very thing on Sat., cuz most only had one or two pair such things. Man, I didn't realize how much men underwear cost!! :eek:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
BTW, the new call is for underwear and feminine products. People still need clothes, but most are lacking in underwear. So if anyone contributes on that level, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

I made a Walmart run for that very thing on Sat., cuz most only had one or two pair such things. Man, I didn't realize how much men underwear cost!! :eek:

I brought a bunch of clothes into work...including 5-6 packs of underwear...did not even realize I had that many unopened packs but I guess when you get so many every year for x-mas it can add up lol.

Anyways was going to let you know that they have shipped a bunch of NOLA evacuees to a NG area in WV so we may just send them to those people as a welcome gift from the State of WV.

Plus I can go up and help deliver them if time permits.