A moderate's view of last night's game

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Let's assume, being that the truth is usually somewhere between the extremes, that on the one hand the sky is not falling but on the other this team does have some problems. And then go from there.

Offense: The OL is off and on on pass protection and mostly off on run protection. I saw more than a few posts claiming that the OL was not the problem but as good as the Cowboys were doing most of the preseason, the OL has yet to prove they can block well for the run. I think the moderate CW on this must be to assume that the OL run blocking is bad until proven otherwise and to assume that the pass blocking will be hit and miss. I would advise not to make too much of the latter since we were playing against a very good Jax D-line on the road.

Bledsoe is bad when pressured and can be bad otherwise. I would not yet throw him under the bus. He played a lot better in the first half of the season last year. There's no reason to think he can't do it again in more advantageous circumstances.

Our RBs are not great. The combo may very well end up being somewhere between "good enough" or even "quite good" but they're not there yet.

Our receivers are great, false starts and interference included.

Our special teams are actually quite good outside of place kicking. And then there's the place kicking and it is a mess with a lot of upside.

Our defense is not dominant yet but they showed flashes. Last night's performance was worrisome to say the least, though. We were tan, rested, and ready and from Quarters 2-4 looked mediocre. To me, there wasn't enough consistent pressure on the QB -- if you expect our DBs to cover the likes of Matt Jones, then bring a little more pressure on their statue. I'm not panicking yet -- this kind of talent deserves a few more games until we start gnashing our teeth and wailing.

Bottom line -- let's cut the SBowl talk for now but save the moaning until the bye week. We'll have plenty of time for it if things haven't gotten better by then.