A new paint job is not enough

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Define "real football people." Give examples of "real football people." Go cherry pick all the winners. Belichick, Landry, etc.
Was the Bears' GM/HC/Scouts who traded up for Trubisky with Mahomes and Watson on the board a "real football persons?" Was the Buffalo GM/HC/Scouts who traded down with KC and passed on Mahomes "real football people?" Yes, they are and they made a mistake. It happens to all. Real football people passed on Joe Montana and Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

Jerry Jones played football in HS and college. Jerry Jones has been an owner/GM for 30 years and has made football his passion in life. Not only is Jerry Jones a "real football person" but Jerry Jones surrounds himself with "real football people." McClay is a real football person. Jason Garrett is a real football person. All of the coaches have been real football people. These are people who have ate, drank, and slept football for the past 30 or more years of their lives.

It is hard to win in the NFL. It is hard to draft players. It is hard to cut/sign players. You can do everything right and still not win.
Jerry Jones is a real football person. No doubt about that. The team just hasn't won SBs for a long time. Lot of reasons for that but it has nothing to do with not having "real football people" here in Dallas.
Why don’t you give us your definition? If you consider Jerry Jones an example of “a real football guy”, we have nothing else to discuss.

CB61

Reaction score
IMO, When fans say, “Jerry owns the team...he can do whatever he wants with it”, they are perpetuating this ongoing problem with this team which has led to nearly a quarter century of playoff failure. Yes, we all know Jerry paid $147 mil for the Cowboys in ‘89, so technically he can drive this franchise off a cliff if he wants to. In fact, that’s exactly what he’s done.

But shouldn't we also say that’s stupid? There’s a reason 30 of the 32 owners in this league hire real football people to run their organizations. It’s why the last 23 Super Bowls have been won by owners who hire football people. It doesn’t work anymore, and we have over two decades of evidence to prove it.

Jerry is THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. He’s created this culture and lack of accountability. Sure Garrett is a bad coach. But without changing how this franchise is run and just turning around and hiring another coach with the same culture and lack of accountability...it’s like a new paint job on The Titanic. There will always be an iceberg. Hiring Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley or even Bill Belechick without changing the fundamentals of how this team is run will not save this team.

We’ve had nearly a quarter century of icebergs with 6 different coaches. And ONE GM. I know Jerry “has the right” to do what he wants, but shouldn’t we also recognize that If he doesn’t change, the results won’t either?

Doomsay

Reaction score
Hey if you like the way Jerry runs this thing, you should be happy. If divisional “championships” are evidence of accomplishment, I’m not going to try to argue with that kind of thinking. If that makes you happy, cool.

That’s not enough for me. Jerry is the biggest problem this team has and it’s as clear as can be. Until he changes his ways, how can we expect changes in results?
That's the kind of support that perpetuates Jones.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
IMO, When fans say, “Jerry owns the team...he can do whatever he wants with it”, they are perpetuating this ongoing problem with this team which has led to nearly a quarter century of playoff failure. Yes, we all know Jerry paid $147 mil for the Cowboys in ‘89, so technically he can drive this franchise off a cliff if he wants to. In fact, that’s exactly what he’s done.

But shouldn't we also say that’s stupid? There’s a reason 30 of the 32 owners in this league hire real football people to run their organizations. It’s why the last 23 Super Bowls have been won by owners who hire football people. It doesn’t work anymore, and we have over two decades of evidence to prove it.

Jerry is THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. He’s created this culture and lack of accountability. Sure Garrett is a bad coach. But without changing how this franchise is run and just turning around and hiring another coach with the same culture and lack of accountability...it’s like a new paint job on The Titanic. There will always be an iceberg. Hiring Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley or even Bill Belechick without changing the fundamentals of how this team is run will not save this team.

We’ve had nearly a quarter century of icebergs with 6 different coaches. And ONE GM. I know Jerry “has the right” to do what he wants, but shouldn’t we also recognize that If he doesn’t change, the results won’t either?
Nope, this classic needs a lot of Bondo work before a paint job.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Division champs...ooh..you're the champ among 4 teams.... what a true accomplishment! (and those 3 other teams have been near absolute garbage compared to the rest of the League to boot!)

Nope, that isn't an accomplishment...it's an embarrassment compared to what the Cowboys used to be. Jerry is definitely the problem.

How many playoff wins since their last SB win in how many years? That's all you need to know.
Agree but wouldn't you prefer to win it as opposed to the other 3? There is no Cinderella in the East but the Cowboys could be the least ugly stepsister.

nobody

Reaction score
Agree but wouldn't you prefer to win it as opposed to the other 3? There is no Cinderella in the East but the Cowboys could be the least ugly stepsister.

But if those other three teams got their act together, Dallas wouldn't even have as many vaunted Division championships as it does.... so is that truly a Cowboys accomplishment or Just Giants/Commanders/Eagles failures?

Of course I'd rather have that than nothing, but... Jerry keeps it from getting better than that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if those other three teams got their act together, Dallas wouldn't even have as many vaunted Division championships as it does.... so is that truly a Cowboys accomplishment or Just Giants/Commanders/Eagles failures?

Of course I'd rather have that than nothing, but... Jerry keeps it from getting better than that.
The East is not good and could have 3 coaching changes. At least I can give the Eagles a partial injury pass, the Cowboys don't have an excuse.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The East is not good and could have 3 coaching changes. At least I can give the Eagles a partial injury pass, the Cowboys don't have an excuse.
Jerral Wayne always has an excuse. He sells tickets with them every year. 2015 and 2017 are the most recent examples. When Romo went down JJ allowed the excuse that you can’t win any games with a backup. In 2017, when Tyron Smith and Zeke were out, the excuses for the team’s mid season collapse flowed like Johnny Walker Blue.

A good football executive would take responsibility for failure and make changes. A bad executive blames people at lower levels instead of holding himself accountable. Jerry is a salesman, and he sells excuses better than any football executive around. And the last person to beheld accountable for this team’s failures in this organization is anyone named Jones.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Why don’t you give us your definition? If you consider Jerry Jones an example of “a real football guy”, we have nothing else to discuss.

So, you got absolute nothing. You throw out some bogus term and you can't even define it or defend it. Just as I thought. You don't have a clue as to what a "real football person" is. You threw the term out there, you define it (if you can).

I explained to you that since Jerry Jones played the game in HS and college, has been a GM/Owner for over 30 years, dedicated his career life and passion to football, saw countless hours of tape on players, analyzed players with some of the best scouts and advisors in the business, spent a ton of hours with some of the greatest coaches and players in the business, and been the major decision maker on the biggest sport team in the world. That, son, is a "real football person." Not the definition of a "real football person" per se, but an example of one such real football person.

You got nothing to discuss because you got nothing period. Maybe you can just tag whoever won the super bowl that year as "real football people."

ArtClink

Reaction score
What is your definition of "real football person?" What traits make a person a "real football person?" Played the game? 4 Year degree in _____? Former college scout? Or do you just want to cry about not having won a playoff game or whatever for however long? If you just want to have a good cry, I'll send you a box of tissues.

Bottom line: Jerry, Stephen, and the coaches and scouts are "real football people" who have dedicated their lives to football and are trying to put out a winner. We haven't got the super bowls in a long time. So, what. It is hard to win a super bowl. 31 Other teams with a hard salary cap and a draft where every team pools from the same group of players. The NFC East has historically been the toughest division in football to win for the past 40-50 years. The team record has been good for the past 30 years in general, the drafts have been good for the past 30 years. Just missing the ultimate prize, the SB.

I never said anything about a "real football person". My posts were simply results related (deep playoff runs) and it's really, really hard to NOT reach the NFC Championship game with 24 seasons to experiment with. It's so hard to do that only us, lions, and washington are the only NFC teams to fail to play in nfc championship game in 24 yrs. And we play in the salary cap era AND in one of the most watered down, lackluster group of teams I have ever seen in nfl history. There are so many bad teams!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A fan saying Jerry owns the team and can do with it what he wants doesn't perpetuate anything - that's just a statement of fact, and that's the case now and will continue to be the case whether anyone says it or not.

As for people saying "that's stupid", and that if the GM doesn't change, the results won't either, people say that all the time. You hang out here. You know that.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If "a new paint job" can get us to win the division and a playoff, Daboyz will pay for it! :lmao:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, you got absolute nothing. You throw out some bogus term and you can't even define it or defend it. Just as I thought. You don't have a clue as to what a "real football person" is. You threw the term out there, you define it (if you can).

I explained to you that since Jerry Jones played the game in HS and college, has been a GM/Owner for over 30 years, dedicated his career life and passion to football, saw countless hours of tape on players, analyzed players with some of the best scouts and advisors in the business, spent a ton of hours with some of the greatest coaches and players in the business, and been the major decision maker on the biggest sport team in the world. That, son, is a "real football person." Not the definition of a "real football person" per se, but an example of one such real football person.

You got nothing to discuss because you got nothing period. Maybe you can just tag whoever won the super bowl that year as "real football people."
I consider the last 24 seasons as a good testimony of Jerry’s ability to build a championship team. There isn’t another NFL owner in this league (other than the hapless Ben-gals owner)that would keep the same GM in place 24 years with three playoff wins. Zero. If you define Jerry a “football guy”, he’s certainly not been one that is held to a standard that 30 other GMs are held to.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A fan saying Jerry owns the team and can do with it what he wants doesn't perpetuate anything - that's just a statement of fact, and that's the case now and will continue to be the case whether anyone says it or not.

As for people saying "that's stupid", and that if the GM doesn't change, the results won't either, people say that all the time. You hang out here. You know that.
You’re right....many fans do say that too.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I consider the last 24 seasons as a good testimony of Jerry’s ability to build a championship team. There isn’t another NFL owner in this league (other than the hapless Ben-gals owner)that would keep the same GM in place 24 years with three playoff wins. Zero. If you define Jerry a “football guy”, he’s certainly not been one that is held to a standard that 30 other GMs are held to.

You are moving goalposts now. Still waiting for your definition of 'real football guy.'
Or, do you just want to rant against Jerry Jones and cry about the Cowboys not winning anything significant for a long time? Jerry Jones Derangement Syndrome.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Owner/President/GM/other business interests , the man wears too many hats to be full time at all of them. IDK I could be completely wrong ,but I don't think GM is a seasonal/part time gig.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What is your definition of "real football person?" What traits make a person a "real football person?" Played the game? 4 Year degree in _____? Former college scout? Or do you just want to cry about not having won a playoff game or whatever for however long? If you just want to have a good cry, I'll send you a box of tissues.

Bottom line: Jerry, Stephen, and the coaches and scouts are "real football people" who have dedicated their lives to football and are trying to put out a winner. We haven't got the super bowls in a long time. So, what. It is hard to win a super bowl. 31 Other teams with a hard salary cap and a draft where every team pools from the same group of players. The NFC East has historically been the toughest division in football to win for the past 40-50 years. The team record has been good for the past 30 years in general, the drafts have been good for the past 30 years. Just missing the ultimate prize, the SB.
What your missing is Jerry isn’t doing everything within his power to win or he’d hold the front office more accountable. He even admitted he’d of fired a GM with his record this era.

And by insisting on his “ jocks to socks” control is strangleholding football operations with his meddling and distractions while undermining the HC authority.

Jerry wants to win more than anyone BUT only his way. Jerry acts more in his best interest than that of Cowboys Football.

I’d venture to argue Jerry wouldn’t even be interested in owning the team if he couldn’t be hands on and why he wasn’t satisfied with winning championships with Jimmy since he didn’t receive the credit he’s pursuing for being a great Football Guy.

Jerry is a real football guy. And about half of the league should be embarrassed they haven’t been able to build and field better teams consistently but ultimately he becomes our greatest handicap, hindrance and obstacle by not bringing in more skilled football guys to assist him in front office and coaching staffs to contend against the more Elite staffs and teams around the league

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So...what are you gonna do about it? Besides creating idiotic messages on the internet?