A New Wrinkles by Garrett I Liked

khiladi

Reaction score
One of the things Garrett did well was the tight-end screens he ran to counter-act the blitz, when the TEs were lined up on the line, acting as if they were going to block. They disguised it pretty well. Another wrinkle, besides the flares to Choice, was the short pass over the middle to Choice, which was slightly different than the Barber, check-down pass which we seemed to do all the time. It was a little reminscent of the pass Norv use to call for Emmitt.

This seems to be Jason's achilles heel this year, in my opinion. He often fails to adjust to the pressure, with quick passes like that. It seems to want to go for the kill everytime. As long as he keeps it up, I'll start to lighten up.

Smith22

Reaction score
I'm just glad we finally figured out how to run efficient screens. For years we seemed to have lost that page of the playbook.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Smith22;2497059 said:
I'm just glad we finally figured out how to run efficient screens. For years we seemed to have lost that page of the playbook.

Amen !:eek::

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I also liked the goalline series that resulted in a TD to Cricket.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
viman96;2497157 said:
I also liked the goalline series that resulted in a TD to Cricket.
Blah. Everyone and their momma knew that we were gonna run a draw on that First Down play.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Smith22;2497059 said:

Exactly. Imagine when Felix is running those.

But back to Garrett, a play from last year I'd almost forgotten is that play-action pass off the stretch handoff. Why don't we do that more often, as well simply handing it off on the stretch play? I'm tired of the shotgun every play.

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2497175 said:
Exactly. Imagine when Felix is running those.

But back to Garrett, a play from last year I'd almost forgotten is that play-action pass off the stretch handoff. Why don't we do that more often, as well simply handing it off on the stretch play? I'm tired of the shotgun every play.

That is one of the stinkers of Garrett, I've been complaining about. He rarely runs play-action, let alone play-action on the stretch hand-off, but he seemed to be doing it last night, during the third and fourth quarter I believe. I don't know how one can keep defenses off balance, especially in that type of offense, with play-action...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Achozen;2497168 said:
Blah. Everyone and their momma knew that we were gonna run a draw on that First Down play.

No matter if you approve :rolleyes:

The plays confused the Giants and that is all the matters.

First play shotgun draw
Second play strong I PA for TD

30yrheel

Reaction score
might as well run screens the way our line pass protects, but really, it's about time we used them more.

alancdc

Reaction score
Also love gettin the ball to Bennett on that little screen/dump off and having him run it. I would like for him to actually step OVER one of the guys laying on the ground since he is like 6'8", but love that play.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Achozen;2497168 said:

But review that play again. Watch TO's shoulders slump as he left the huddle early. I rewatched the game late last night and saw this and wondered if the Giants picked it up.

I like the bunch formation and wonder why we don't run that more often. Especially with Austin in the back so RoyUT and TO can take away the coverage and let Austin get the match-up we need.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Achozen;2497168 said:

And we got a TD to Anderson. Draw on first down or not, we got 7 points.