A plan for Day Two...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
With one pick in the third, one at the start of the fourth, and one at the start of the sixth, here's how I'd attack the draft board if I was drafting for the Cowboys... these players are rated in order of my preference, and naturally some of the earlier players listed may well be off the board by pick 91:

ROUND THREE/ROUND FOUR (pick 91/pick 100)

DT Red Bryant, Texas A&M... a Casey Hampton clone for the NT position...

CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa... after drafting a CB early, it's unlikely the Boys would draft another here, but they reportedly really like Godfrey...

DT Marcus Harrison, Arkansas... a nice consolation prize if Bryant is off the board already, but he may be gone too...

WR Early Doucet, LSU... WR would make sense at this point, Doucet is about the best WR left...

S Josh Barrett, Arizona State... a poor man's Darren Woodson...

DT/DE Dre Moore, Maryland... perfect for the 3-4...

WR Andre Caldwell, Florida... another WR prospect with some potential...

WR Marcus Monk, Arkansas... Jerry can make up for never drafting any Razorbacks, in a big way... besides Felix Jones, there's Marcus Harrison, Monk and Peyton Hillis who might fit the Cowboys needs in this range...

FB Peyton Hillis, Arkansas... a versatile FB that the Cowboys are reported to be high on, he could even play RB for the Boys in a pinch...

OG Oniel Cousins, UTEP... a tackle who projects to guard in the NFL, the Boys like him...

QB Josh Johnson, San Diego... a small school QB who could provide a solid backup for Tony Romo for the next few years...

OLB/DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech... I don't see the Boys going LB at this point, but they like Ellis...

CB Zack Bowman, Nebraska... before he got hurt, he graded out as a possible first rounder, so he'd be a steal in the late 3rd/early 4th round range... again, though, I'm not sure the Boys would go for another corner in this draft...

FS/CB Quintin Demps, UTEP... a big play safety with some experience at corner... not strong against the run, but very good in coverage...

DE Kendall Langford, Hampton... has the computer numbers you look for in a 3-4 DE...

FB Owen Schmitt, West Virginia... a throwback fullback, hardnosed as they come...

WR Will Franklin, Missouri... a sleeper that I like, and I've read the Cowboys do too...

DT Ahtyba Rubin, Iowa State... if you want to grab a quality NT, better do it now, the crop's getting thin...

DT Frank Okam, Texas... I just don't know if he's well-suited to play in the 3-4 defense...

DT/DE DeMario Pressley, North Carolina State... a 3-4 "tweener"... the Cowboys like him...

S Thomas DeCoud, Cal... a special teams demon who has played some CB in college...

The players in bold fonts are favorites of mine... Bryant and Barrett might not be realistic options, the rest stand a fair to middling chance of being on the board at pick 91... I'd really like to grab a WR at this point, and either a S or a FB...

ROUND SIX (pick 167)

QB Erik Ainge, Tennessee... the Cowboys are in the market for a backup QB, and reportedly like Ainge...

CB Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin... would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder if he hadn't suffered a devastating knee injury back in January... might not be able to play at all in 08, so picking him here would be tantamount to "redshirting" him... with the relatively low number of picks the Boys have in this draft, I don't know if they'd be willing to go that route, but this late in the draft, they might be willing to gamble on him recovering fully from that injury by 2009...

OLB/DE Tommy Blake, TCU... would have also gone higher in this draft if he hadn't battled depression issues this last season... the Boys seem to like him, and he'd be a terrific value if he's still on the board here...

OT King Dunlap, Auburn... a huge (6-8) tackle that the Boys have shown an interest in...

OG/C Chris McDuffie, Clemson... huge, and can back up at all 3 interior line positions...

C Doug Legursky, Marshall... durable starter in college, has good size... I'd really like to see the Boys add a candidate to back up Gurode at center...

OLB/DE Kenny Iwebema, Iowa... another player the Boys have shown an interest in...

OG/OT Chad Rinehart, Northern Iowa... a big offensive lineman with some versatility...

Give me Peyton Hillis, Will Franklin and Tommy Blake, and I'll consider Day Two of the draft to have been a rousing success... I'd even substitute Quintin Demps for either Hillis or Franklin, and still be happy...

jjktkk

Reaction score
I like all of your picks. I would even pick TCU's Blake in the 4th round. I believe he is over his depression problems and he does have 1st round talent. I think he has good character and IMO it never hurts if the Boys draft a native Texan.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Trade down in the 4th and 6th for additional picks.

3rd Round
WR Mario Manningham_not only great value, talent-wise, but probably the most NFL ready WR in the entire draft

4th Round
OLB Curtis Johnson_complete package, comparable to Charles Haley, both in pass rush production and intensity; run stopping demon too

5th Round (acquired via trade)
NT Frank Okam_smart but inconsistent mammoth of a DLineman w/ run stopping ability of a Red Bryant/Ahtyba Rubin plus greater pass rush potential.

6th Round
RB/Slot Danny Woodhead_faster and better wiggle than Felix Jones; great hands-could be Wes Welker-like in the slot

7th Round (acquired via trade)
TE/FB Kolo Kapanui_better run after the catch ability than Bennett + has ability/experience blocking/running out of the backfield (ran in the 4.6's when he was under 270)

------

Would not mind Peyton Hillis in the 4th either. That would change my 7th round preference to OLB Andy Studebaker or CB Jack Ikweguonu.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I'd love if we got Okam, he could have been a first round pick had he come out early

Woods

Reaction score
Great post, SB.

The remaining players I like include,

Red Bryant - We can then move Ratliff to DE. I think Spears is probably gone next year anyway. It takes at least a year to groom a DT. I think BP also said it's a tough position to play at a high level as a rookie.

P Hillis - Again, I know a LOT of people would complain with this pick, but good grief, our offense would have yet another weapon. Plus, this guy could start at FB. And, I think Hillis could get a few snaps in as a short yardage back as well.

E Bennett - He's just been super productive in college. But I think he'll be gone by our 3rd rounder.

M Monk - Again, his upside is significant.

K Burton - I think the Cowboys really like this player as well. Very productive player who made 143 catches the past two years as a starter.

L Hawkins - I think he could eventually be a solid number 2 or number 3 guy at WR.

C Godfrey at CB - I think he may also be gone by our 3rd round pick.

And not that we would necessarily draft a RB so early after F Jones, but if K Smith is still there at 92, I would not be shocked if JJ pulled the trigger. This guy is ranked 44 on Goose's overall board as well. And again, this is a player that we have shown interest in.

Woods

Reaction score
One other player we could look at in the 4th round is Beau Bell at ILB.

But I admit that probably depends on what the staff really thinks about Carp and Burnett backing up Z Thomas.

Given that Z Thomas was injured last season and is up there in age, we may look for our next thumper, and Bell fits the bill.

Man, I really wish we had our 5th rounder! Yes, I'm greedy. :)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
cute to bad there is no plan. Jerry Jones obv woke up this morning look at ESPN and winged it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anthony Collins..........Marcus Harrison...

Smith22

Reaction score
Most of your choices look good, especially Bryant, Doucet and Monk.

Okam IMO looked awful and uninterested at the combine. No thanks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
3rd round I want Markus Monk. 4th round give me Owen Schmitt. 6th round roll the dice on Tommy Blake. Ainge wouldn't bother me either.

I'd be pretty happy overall.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2056905 said:
3rd round I want Markus Monk. 4th round give me Owen Schmitt. 6th round roll the dice on Tommy Blake. Ainge wouldn't bother me either.

I'd be pretty happy overall.

Morning Hos..........:)

silverbear

Reaction score
jjktkk;2056470 said:
I like all of your picks. I would even pick TCU's Blake in the 4th round. I believe he is over his depression problems and he does have 1st round talent. I think he has good character and IMO it never hurts if the Boys draft a native Texan.

To be honest, it seems to be a coin toss as to whether he'll even be drafted... some draft gurus think yes, most seem to think no... so the Cowboys' very early sixth round pick would be likely to be sufficient if they are indeed interested in him, I think...

And I sure do think he'd be a pretty good value there...

silverbear

Reaction score
BAT;2056523 said:
Trade down in the 4th and 6th for additional picks.

3rd Round
WR Mario Manningham_not only great value, talent-wise, but probably the most NFL ready WR in the entire draft

I have read a number of articles that suggested that he's been removed from the Cowboys' board altogether because of the drug issue... but I figure he'll likely be off the board by pick 91 anyway...

4th Round
OLB Curtis Johnson_complete package, comparable to Charles Haley, both in pass rush production and intensity; run stopping demon too

A little early, I think... but the Boys like him, so it's plausible... I think your analysis of him was JUST a wee bit over the top, even though I do like him... let's remember he racked up those impressive numbers at the Division II level...

5th Round (acquired via trade)
NT Frank Okam_smart but inconsistent mammoth of a DLineman w/ run stopping ability of a Red Bryant/Ahtyba Rubin plus greater pass rush potential.

I'm a serious Horns fan, and doubt that he could be successful in a 3-4... he's not a bad player for the right system, to me the Cowboys' system does not look like a good match for his skillset... value-wise, though, this is about where I'd expect him to go... and of course, as a Horns fan it would suit me just fine if I was wrong about him, and he made the Boys' 53 man roster...

6th Round
RB/Slot Danny Woodhead_faster and better wiggle than Felix Jones; great hands-could be Wes Welker-like in the slot[/qutoe]

You could get him with that 7th round pick, he might not even be drafted... but he is indeed an interesting little waterbug, isn't he??

7th Round (acquired via trade)
TE/FB Kolo Kapanui_better run after the catch ability than Bennett + has ability/experience blocking/running out of the backfield (ran in the 4.6's when he was under 270)

I don't know why he was so painfully slow in his offseason workouts, but I had him on my list until he did that, now I might think about offering him an undrafted rookie free agent contract-- if I had reason to believe that he's really faster than the times he posted... honestly, though, I can't see the Boys spending another pick at TE in this draft...

Would not mind Peyton Hillis in the 4th either. That would change my 7th round preference to OLB Andy Studebaker or CB Jack Ikweguonu.

Either of your seventh round options would be better for the Boys than Kapanui, I think...

Man, I sound like I hated that draft, didn't I?? Really, the only pick I dislike is Manningham... I just don't care for him, and it's got nothing to do with his smoking some weed... I was bothered that he looked all those teams in the eye and lied to them, though...

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;2056683 said:
Great post, SB.

The remaining players I like include,

Red Bryant - We can then move Ratliff to DE. I think Spears is probably gone next year anyway. It takes at least a year to groom a DT. I think BP also said it's a tough position to play at a high level as a rookie.

P Hillis - Again, I know a LOT of people would complain with this pick, but good grief, our offense would have yet another weapon. Plus, this guy could start at FB. And, I think Hillis could get a few snaps in as a short yardage back as well.

E Bennett - He's just been super productive in college. But I think he'll be gone by our 3rd rounder.

M Monk - Again, his upside is significant.

K Burton - I think the Cowboys really like this player as well. Very productive player who made 143 catches the past two years as a starter.

L Hawkins - I think he could eventually be a solid number 2 or number 3 guy at WR.

C Godfrey at CB - I think he may also be gone by our 3rd round pick.

And not that we would necessarily draft a RB so early after F Jones, but if K Smith is still there at 92, I would not be shocked if JJ pulled the trigger. This guy is ranked 44 on Goose's overall board as well. And again, this is a player that we have shown interest in.

I can be briefer with this response than I usually am, but only because I liked everything you said... except I don't really care for Hawkins for the Boys... couldn't even really tell you why...

But that's some really good analysis there... your reasoning is sound...

And if you keep it up, I'm gonna have to have you killed... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;2056688 said:
One other player we could look at in the 4th round is Beau Bell at ILB.

But I admit that probably depends on what the staff really thinks about Carp and Burnett backing up Z Thomas.

Given that Z Thomas was injured last season and is up there in age, we may look for our next thumper, and Bell fits the bill.

Man, I really wish we had our 5th rounder! Yes, I'm greedy. :)

The Boys do like Bell... I reckon he's not too awful... LOL...