A Plus Pretenders

Blitzen

Reaction score
This team has put together one of the best pretender squads the NFL has ever seen. They beat every single tier 3 team-a couple exceptions in the past 15 years (this goes back to the Garrett era). They beat about half the tier 2 squads. They lose almost every game versus the tier 1 squads.

The business model is exceptional. The current playoff format means this squad will make the playoffs much more frequently than they miss. Having a GM and front office that are not burdened to produce more playoff success allows the current model to be the perpetual model.

Most fans don’t seem to care much about playoff success-just a take it or leave it approach. The front office has obliged the demand for regular season success-mission accomplished. The model will do next to nothing in the playoffs against the best squads that are actually contenders (and making the playoffs does not make a team an actual contender). Let’s run it back one more time!

Aven8

Reaction score
It seems very accurate for sure. The only thing I’ve often wondered is how can we beat the Giants, Jets, and Rams by 30 or more, and the other playoff contenders barely get by sometimes against the same teams? It’s odd.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This team has put together one of the best pretender squads the NFL has ever seen. They beat every single tier 3 team-a couple exceptions in the past 15 years (this goes back to the Garrett era). They beat about half the tier 2 squads. They lose almost every game versus the tier 1 squads.

The business model is exceptional. The current playoff format means this squad will make the playoffs much more frequently than they miss. Having a GM and front office that are not burdened to produce more playoff success allows the current model to be the perpetual model.

Most fans don’t seem to care much about playoff success-just a take it or leave it approach. The front office has obliged the demand for regular season success-mission accomplished. The model will do next to nothing in the playoffs against the best squads that are actually contenders (and making the playoffs does not make a team an actual contender). Let’s run it back one more time!
Some people actually enjoy the sport and appreciate the game played out. Not all sell out their souls for vanity.

Winning is great in sport. No one questions competition.

Not all sell out respect for unearned glory just watching...no, sport can be appreciated for the competition.

:popcorn:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Don't disregard "hanging around the rim".
1_wbNNcrnHi1mGScmc36gK0w.0.gif

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
It seems very accurate for sure. The only thing I’ve often wondered is how can we beat the Giants, Jets, and Rams by 30 or more, and the other playoff contenders barely get by sometimes against the same teams? It’s odd.
Or how we have more energy for a Thanksgiving game than for a home playoff game. Not just Green Bay, but two years ago against the 49ers when they trudged out of the tunnel like someone took their lunch money. It's all so stupid, and such an unthinkable culture.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wondered that as well. Has to be psychological.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A lot is made of them supposedly not caring about winning.

I think they desperately want to win but don’t have a single clue how to get there.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I actually believe it has to do with the way Quinn’s defense excelled and offensive strategy when leading.

The defense was built to punish teams that attempted to pass themselves back into games-turnovers and sacks flowed heavy once the team led by two or more scores. The offense did not follow the grind it out once way ahead strategy. They would take advantage of teams stacking against the run and start going over the top even while leading big.

RS12

Reaction score
When your business prints a 460 million dollar a year profit there is little incentive to change. As we the older fan dies off there wont be many left that know the difference between football team and marketing organization.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If some fans only care about this, then they are fair weather fans if they can't enjoy how the season unfolds. And the excitement of possibly making the playoffs.
They whine 364 days a year waiting for that one game on the 365th day.

And this goes for all sports. But those fans only seem to exist on here. Look at all sports pro and college, and see stadiums and arenas filled on every broadcast, or at least the majority except some lower level colleges.

Those fans enjoy the games and the ride to possible playoffs. Enjoy the season as it unfolds. Yes criticize but it does not need to be Debbie downer 24/7/365.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

You been eavesdropping on the Cowboys front office again?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When your business prints a 460 million dollar a year profit there is little incentive to change. As we the older fan dies off there wont be many left that know the difference between football team and marketing organization.
Just like younger fans now do not know the difference between real football or any sport, and fake fantasy football and sports.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Some people actually enjoy the sport and appreciate the game played out. Not all sell out their souls for vanity.

Winning is great in sport. No one questions competition.

Not all sell out respect for unearned glory just watching...no, sport can be appreciated for the competition.

:popcorn:
I would hope that a professional football team is constructed with people that prioritize winning the SB above all other priorities. The teams that do win the big prize consistently value that trait highly in their personnel. This team values being competitive-it’s great for business. I never said you cannot enjoy competition as a fan-nor is everything all or nothing.

Anyone still following this team would probably take 1 SB win and 9 straight losing seasons over 10 straight seasons of one and done in the playoffs after 12-5 regular seasons. At least I think they would-otherwise you are correct-and those fans do not care about SB wins for the team they cheer for.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I would hope that a professional football team is constructed with people that prioritize winning the SB above all other priorities. The teams that do win the big prize consistently value that trait highly in their personnel. This team values being competitive-it’s great for business. I never said you cannot enjoy competition as a fan-nor is everything all or nothing.

Anyone still following this team would probably take 1 SB win and 9 straight losing seasons over 10 straight seasons of one and done in the playoffs after 12-5 regular seasons. At least I think they would-otherwise you are correct-and those fans do not care about SB wins for the team they cheer for.
Christ, that is what sport is. Sport gets my respect from the start...it involves sacrifice and team commitment. Miss anything there?

Dallas hasn't just had a run of bad teams and not fully capable to win it all.

Implying that is a lie.

I like the Cowboys and have loved being a fan. Not solely based on finish. I loved the 'Lil General' from the start. Washington gave him to Dallas. Then Dallas got Don Perkins.

Blitzen

Reaction score
If some fans only care about this, then they are fair weather fans if they can't enjoy how the season unfolds. And the excitement of possibly making the playoffs.
They whine 364 days a year waiting for that one game on the 365th day.

And this goes for all sports. But those fans only seem to exist on here. Look at all sports pro and college, and see stadiums and arenas filled on every broadcast, or at least the majority except some lower level colleges.

Those fans enjoy the games and the ride to possible playoffs. Enjoy the season as it unfolds. Yes criticize but it does not need to be Debbie downer 24/7/365.
Bro-we are all following the same team. Just because we emphasize the shortcomings of the team does not make us negative all the time.

A team that tells its fans that it cares nothing about playoff success is something pretty toxic (and they tell it with their actions-the most important communicator). That’s all I’m saying-take it easy and don’t act like anything we say here is epic.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The defense forcing turnovers and special teams helped a great deal in those three games.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Christ, that is what sport is. Sport gets my respect from the start...it involves sacrifice and team commitment. Miss anything there?

Dallas hasn't just had a run of bad teams and not fully capable to win it all.

Implying that is a lie.

I like the Cowboys and have loved being a fan. Not solely based on finish. I loved the 'Lil General' from the start. Washington gave him to Dallas. Then Dallas got Don Perkins.
Yeah, and the ultimate goal stays the same. When we fans describe what we would prefer the team to do-its not coming from some place that actually believes one fan can decide anything significant.

Posting is all just for fantasy and time wasting.

I don’t follow because I believe that Dallas has a chance at the prize. I’m sorry if you are so deluded to believe Dallas has been fully capable to win it all only to fall short of even reaching the final four going on three decades. I follow because I still get some level of entertainment from the games and enjoy the distraction and reason for gatherings.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bro-we are all following the same team. Just because we emphasize the shortcomings of the team does not make us negative all the time.

A team that tells its fans that it cares nothing about playoff success is something pretty toxic (and they tell it with their actions-the most important communicator). That’s all I’m saying-take it easy and don’t act like anything we say here is epic.
Nothing ever is. I did not say it was, nor acted like it.