CFZ A Positive Take on Offseason

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
First, let me say that while I’m disappointed in losing Cooper and Gregory and Wilson and happy we kept DLaw, Schultz, Hooker, and hopefully Kearse, on paper and in the media, it’s been a bad off-season, especially regarding optics, for the Dallas Cowboys. The positive I’m trying to see and that I believe can take place I give no credit for to the front office. I’m not suggesting they have a new plan…lol. It’s clear that they don’t know what they are doing, and any positive vibes around Stephen that he has been a positive factor on keeping Jerry in line has blown up in his face.

So this is just me trying to see the positive.

I’m not totally blown by this off-season…..yet. What we were doing in recent years wasn’t getting it done. Huge contracts beyond player production wasn’t working. Too many super stars who weren’t very super; not enough grinders; not enough solid grunts and depth; not enough accountability, availability, or responsibility.

For whatever reason, attitude, QB, play-calling, doesn’t matter - Cooper’s production wasn’t even close to what we were paying. He and his contract are gone.
We all wanted to see a great success story with Gregory and kept hoping for the best. We saw the effort this year, but even if you ignore the offsides and foolish penalties, no one can argue that his actual production was worth the contract we offered. Try to forget that Stephen looks like a fool, Gregory had not earned or even showed enough to warrant that chunk of the pie.
DLaw….one of my favorites, but even he saw the handwriting on the wall and came through with a contract suggestion that is much more in line with his ability and helps the team.

Von Miller? Not me because I don’t believe he makes us better enough as a team over the next 2-3 years to make us SB favorites. Anything can happen in any particular year, but we are not a team ready to add this guy or that guy to keep up with the Rams, Chiefs, Bills.

I think we keep Kearse, and with that, I actually like the fact that we are not paying superstar money to players that are not superstars. What we are doing is resigning and paying guys who are actually making a difference, being very productive on the field, and helping us win games more than hurting us.

The defense made HUGE strides last year. Keeping a very productive Kearse and signing Hooker for 2 years on a cheap contract, along with Donovan Wilson keeps us young at safety with guys who all seem to be on the rise. If we have DLaw, Armstrong, Gholston, and perhaps a FA/draft pick, along with Parsons, I like our pass rush. Our young DTs should be better. Shore up the LB spot, and I like the idea of now building on a defense that was showing surprising signs as a strength.

Stop counting on the offense to score 35 points to win games. Build up the OL and get back to running the ball! Add a 3rd receiver. Control the ball, the clock, and hit chunk plays off play-action.

Focus on young players who are productive and are not aging. Don’t spend money and lock up aging or undependable players just because of talent. As the defense becomes a force and the run game returns, then be ready to sign the 1-2 free agents that help you win a title.

I’m staying positive and refraining from judging the roster until after free agency and the draft, but I see a philosophy that I like better than what we’ve seen in recent years, though I know it’s not by design, but more the Jones’s stumbling into it over their own mistakes.

giphy.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
First, let me say that while I’m disappointed in losing Cooper and Gregory and Wilson and happy we kept DLaw, Schultz, Hooker, and hopefully Kearse, on paper and in the media, it’s been a bad off-season, especially regarding optics, for the Dallas Cowboys. The positive I’m trying to see and that I believe can take place I give no credit for to the front office. I’m not suggesting they have a new plan…lol. It’s clear that they don’t know what they are doing, and any positive vibes around Stephen that he has been a positive factor on keeping Jerry in line has blown up in his face.

I’m not totally blown by this off-season…..yet. What we were doing in recent years wasn’t getting it done. Huge contracts beyond player production wasn’t working. Too many super stars who weren’t very super; not enough grinders; not enough solid grunts and depth; not enough accountability, availability, or responsibility.

For whatever reason, attitude, QB, play-calling, doesn’t matter - Cooper’s production wasn’t even close to what we were paying. He and his contract are gone.
We all wanted to see a great success story with Gregory and kept hoping for the best. We saw the effort this year, but even if you ignore the offsides and foolish penalties, no one can argue that his actual production was worth the contract we offered. Try to forget that Stephen looks like a fool, Gregory had not earned or even showed enough to warrant that chunk of the pie.
DLaw….one of my favorites, but even he saw the handwriting on the wall and came through with a contract suggestion that is much more in line with his ability and helps the team.

Von Miller? Not me because I don’t believe he makes us better enough as a team over the next 2-3 years to make us SB favorites. Anything can happen in any particular year, but we are not a team ready to add this guy or that guy to keep up with the Rams, Chiefs, Bills.

I think we keep Kearse, and with that, I actually like the fact that we are not paying superstar money to players that are not superstars. What we are doing is resigning and paying guys who are actually making a difference, being very productive on the field, and helping us win games more than hurting us.

The defense made HUGE strides last year. Keeping a very productive Kearse and signing Hooker for 2 years on a cheap contract, along with Donovan Wilson keeps us young at safety with guys who all seem to be on the rise. If we have DLaw, Armstrong, Gholston, and perhaps a FA/draft pick, along with Parsons, I like our pass rush. Our young DTs should be better. Shore up the LB spot, and I like the idea of now building on a defense that was showing surprising signs as a strength.

Stop counting on the offense to score 35 points to win games. Build up the OL and get back to running the ball! Add a 3rd receiver. Control the ball, the clock, and hit chunk plays off play-action.

Focus on young players who are productive and are not aging. Don’t spend money and lock up aging or undependable players just because of talent. As the defense becomes a force and the run game returns, then be ready to sign the 1-2 free agents that help you win a title.

I’m staying positive and refraining from judging the roster until after free agency and the draft, but I see a philosophy that I like better than what we’ve seen in recent years, though I know it’s not by design, but more the Jones’s stumbling into it over their own mistakes.

This is not a successful offseason to date.

For example, with the remaining FA DEs, Lawrence, Golston, Basham, Armstrong is a middling bunch of edge players. Even throwing in Parsons in there part time.

erod

Reaction score
So what’s the point of coming here? Why watch games, wear the hats and jerseys, or fuss over the details of a game played by millionaires, employed by billionaires? If there’s absolutely no hope, no chance, no reason to think there’s ANYONE competent at the wheel, why bother?
I only mildly care anymore, if that.

I'm just stating facts about a team I've followed since the 70s. I remember when this was a great franchise, before the hillbillies turned it into a freak show.

ESisback

Reaction score
I only mildly care anymore, if that.

I'm just stating facts about a team I've followed since the 70s. I remember when this was a great franchise, before the hillbillies turned it into a freak show.
Most hyped, most polarizing—America’s Team is, sadly, a reflection of America. Slumping.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score

Give me some of your happy pills.

Kumbaya

Reaction score
I think the Best thing about this off-season for Cowboy fans is watching what the other teams in the NFC East are doing….not much, except making Cowboy fans snicker.

The Three Stooges…

1. Washington adding Wentz is comical.
2. Eagles trying to add Watson, then pissing off Hurts is comical.
3. Giants trying not to be obvious in showing how little they trust both Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley is comical.

The grass is always greener….

k

Big_D

Reaction score
I’m trying to stay positive but the moronic duo make it extremely difficult. This team is run with the utmost incompetence!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McC gets a positive on his statement to make penalties job1 with the loss of guilty parties 1, 2 and 5. Williams, Collins and Gregory.

Carter

Reaction score
All i can smell is freeing up the books, sucking, fireing McCarthy next season, drafting high next year and getting Sean Payton to take over in 2023.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Worrying about cap, salary, etc. is akin to rich people convincing the working class that giving raises can't be done because we didn't hit metrics while turning a 12% profit vs. 15%. The cap is NOT real. Winning the draft by "value" is NOT the goal.

The GOAL is to acquire talent that helps you win football games. This whole cap management myth is a relic of 15 years ago when everyone was trying to replicate the Belichek system. I'm not suggesting reverse course and try to replicate the Rams system (the Cowboys have too often gotten in trouble trying to copy other strategies), but sometimes you need to know when to press or take some chances. Yeah, you may lose, but who cares - the price of winning is losing.

Right now it feels like the front office is approaching talent acquisition the same way that Dak approaches the passing game when he's playing at his worst - afraid to pull the trigger/take a risk because it may bite you. But oh well - sometimes you have to squeeze it into a tight window and make play. Go make a play, front office.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only positive so far is that after 17 games we get a break from wondering if the boys can beat their next opponent untill 2023.

morasp

Reaction score
They made big improvements over the previous year but our defense is nowhere near playoff caliber and needs a lot of work. The offense for San Franciso was supposed to be their weakness and we made look like a Super Bowl contender.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Why is everyone convinced we are going to sign Kearse? If we were/are going to sign him then why isn't he signed already? It seems to me they are doing what they always do. They are waiting to see what he gets on the open market nd then they will decide to match it or not. This is what they did with Gregory and they lost him. It sounds like they are doing the same thing with their other free agents. I would have made Gregory a priority over Gallup. I like Gallup but I think Gregory has the potential to impact the defense more than Gallup the offense. We can quibble over this, but I think the point is the Cowboys are not being aggressive in building a winning team. The are letting everyone else buy up all the best merchandise while they wait for the bargain basement sale to start. It is a losing strategy.
The difference is Kearse publicly wants to run it back with Dan Quinn. As long as we don’t low ball him, he will resign. We don’t need to compete with ourselves. He’s a one year wonder to the rest of the league who have to figure out if they can use him the same way or if he’s a product of the system. Very valuable to us, but S’s that play nickel LB and cover TEs are not of high money value to most teams.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

350.png

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If IF we sign Wagner or Hicks to play LB, I think we will see a lot more of Parsons at RDE than we saw this year, as well as more blitzing from OLB position.

MLB53

Reaction score
Absolutely, need players not those that are getting fat off ONE GOOD YEAR

birdwells1

Reaction score

You speak of youth several times in your post but most teams that make deep runs have "talented" youth and experienced veteran players. The Cowboys spend most of their offseason on the draft so they have the youth part down but free agency is where you add talented veteran players. The Cowboys fail on that part.