CFZ A pre-season view of our strengths and weaknesses

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After one of the most unusual (and seemingly longest) off seasons ever, training camp is finally about to start. I thought it would be interesting to do a quick assessment of our strengths and weaknesses going into the upcoming 2022 season. Things can and probably will change as the season progresses.

STRENGTHS
  • Defensive playmakers- with Micah Parsons and Travon Diggs, we have two real defensive playmakers who can create sacks, turnovers and disrupt our opponents. Both have Star possibilities on the side of the ball we haven’t had many for far too long. IF Sam Williams and Jabril Cox develop we could have an excellent defense.
  • P Bryan Anger- an actual weapon for field position and one of the 3 best punters in the league. Avg a whopping 48 yds per punt last year and had 24 punts inside the 20. A 2nd team ALL PRO last year.
  • Dak Prescott- He’s not a top 5 QB but he’s better than way too many here give him credit for. Easily the best QB in the NFCE. If he has even a decent running game, he can be even more effective. We should be grateful we have a good starting QB. Most NFL teams don’t.
  • WRs Cedee Lamb and Michael Gallup- two good starting WRs though Gallup will start the year still recovering from knee surgery. If Kellen Moore will ever pull his head out and realize you have to find creative ways to get the ball in their hands, we could have a dynamic duo here.
  • Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn- the most competent coordinator we have and strong leader. He seems to understand how to utilize the talent he has and is not afraid to be aggressive (like his predecessors) If he can develop Sam Williams into something, we may have a really good D.
  • RBBC- (Running Back By Committee) if BOTH Zeke and Tony Pollard are used in equal measure, I can see this position being a real strength. If they keep Zeke as the “bell cow” this will not be a position of strength. Simply put, Pollard needs equal time.
WEAKNESSES
  • Offensive Line- Zack Martin will probably still be great. After that there’s a ton of question marks. Tyron Smith has become a guy who we’re lucky to get 10-12 games out of at the 2nd most important position on the field. Tyler Biadaz must show major improvement from last year, and are we sure Terrance Steele is as good as La’el Collins was? Rookie Tyler Smith has great raw talent but I can’t see him being instantly good. And the depth? Worrisome. If this group is
  • Defensive Line- the front four of DLaw, Gallimore, Odighizhua, and Dorance Armstrong cannot be considered top shelf. We can hope hope FA Dante Fowler can help with the pass rush and maybe rookie Sam Williams develops along with rookie John Ridgeway. That’s a lot of ifs and hopes. These guys need to be able to stop the run better or it’s going be a lot TOP for the opponents.
  • HC and Front Office- this may seem strange to list, but Mike McCarthy has been placed in a very difficult position by his boss. Jerry has never seemed to understand how he frequently undermines his HC with his big mouth. The way things stand, Big Mac has to feel like the wolves are at his door all season until he wins a playoff game…or two. That’s not a great dynamic to have in a locker room.
QUESTION MARKS (things that are unclear)
  • Have we found a Kicker?- I like the kid from Tech Jonathan Garibay. I think he’s going to be a good young K based on what I saw of him in college. But that’s obviously still in doubt until he proves himself in real situations.
  • Will Zeke return closer to his early 2021 firm?Or will he continue to slide?
  • Will Kellen Moore get his mojo back? He started the year last year on fire then DCs started throwing new wrinkles at him and he seemed lost. Will he regain his past touch?
Thoughts? What strengths and weaknesses do you see at this point? Question Marks?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Dak Prescott
- He’s not a top 5 QB but he’s better than way too many here give him credit for. Easily the best QB in the NFCE. If he has even a decent running game, he can be even more effective. We should be grateful we have a good starting QB. Most NFL teams don’t.

Given the weakness of the rest of the division, that's not something to proud of. And certainly not something to get excited about.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
After one of the most unusual (and seemingly longest) off seasons ever, training camp is finally about to start. I thought it would be interesting to do a quick assessment of our strengths and weaknesses going into the upcoming 2022 season. Things can and probably will change as the season progresses.

STRENGTHS
  • Defensive playmakers- with Micah Parsons and Travon Diggs, we have two real defensive playmakers who can create sacks, turnovers and disrupt our opponents. Both have Star possibilities on the side of the ball we haven’t had many for far too long. IF Sam Williams and Jabril Cox develop we could have an excellent defense.
  • P Bryan Anger- an actual weapon for field position and one of the 3 best punters in the league. Avg a whopping 48 yds per punt last year and had 24 punts inside the 20. A 2nd team ALL PRO last year.
  • Dak Prescott- He’s not a top 5 QB but he’s better than way too many here give him credit for. Easily the best QB in the NFCE. If he has even a decent running game, he can be even more effective. We should be grateful we have a good starting QB. Most NFL teams don’t.
  • WRs Cedee Lamb and Michael Gallup- two good starting WRs though Gallup will start the year still recovering from knee surgery. If Kellen Moore will ever pull his head out and realize you have to find creative ways to get the ball in their hands, we could have a dynamic duo here.
  • Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn- the most competent coordinator we have and strong leader. He seems to understand how to utilize the talent he has and is not afraid to be aggressive (like his predecessors) If he can develop Sam Williams into something, we may have a really good D.
  • RBBC- (Running Back By Committee) if BOTH Zeke and Tony Pollard are used in equal measure, I can see this position being a real strength. If they keep Zeke as the “bell cow” this will not be a position of strength. Simply put, Pollard needs equal time.
WEAKNESSES
  • Offensive Line- Zack Martin will probably still be great. After that there’s a ton of question marks. Tyron Smith has become a guy who we’re lucky to get 10-12 games out of at the 2nd most important position on the field. Tyler Biadaz must show major improvement from last year, and are we sure Terrance Steele is as good as La’el Collins was? Rookie Tyler Smith has great raw talent but I can’t see him being instantly good. And the depth? Worrisome. If this group is
  • Defensive Line- the front four of DLaw, Gallimore, Odighizhua, and Dorance Armstrong cannot be considered top shelf. We can hope hope FA Dante Fowler can help with the pass rush and maybe rookie Sam Williams develops along with rookie John Ridgeway. That’s a lot of ifs and hopes. These guys need to be able to stop the run better or it’s going be a lot TOP for the opponents.
  • HC and Front Office- this may seem strange to list, but Mike McCarthy has been placed in a very difficult position by his boss. Jerry has never seemed to understand how he frequently undermines his HC with his big mouth. The way things stand, Big Mac has to feel like the wolves are at his door all season until he wins a playoff game…or two. That’s not a great dynamic to have in a locker room.
  • Have we found a Kicker?- I like the kid from Tech Jonathan Garibay. I think he’s going to be a good young K based on what I saw of him in college. But that’s obviously still in doubt until he proves himself in real situations.
  • Will Kellen Moore get his mojo back? He started the year last year on fire then DCs started throwing new wrinkles at him and he seemed lost. Will he regain his past touch?
Thoughts? What strengths and weaknesses do you see at this point? Question Marks?
I am in total agreement with you on the OL.
How we did not address this in free agency is beyond me.
We have no quality depth to speak of.
This is knowing that Tyrone has not played a complete season since 2015.
Unbelievable

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

STRENGTHS
WEAKNESSES

I see our pass rush as a strength and our run defense as the weakness. I think our front 7 overall is good.

Oline is such a toss up. I think the Oline surpises this year until Tyron goes down, then it goes in the toilet again.

Brax

Reaction score
After one of the most unusual (and seemingly a longest) off seasons ever, training camp is finally about to start. I thought it would be interesting to do a quick assessment of our strengths and weaknesses going into the upcoming 2022 season. Things can and probably will change as the season progresses.

STRENGTHS
WEAKNESSES
Biggest liability on the team is the HC. Until that is fixed does it really matter.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Question marks we have about this team include... who will play and how will they play.

OFFENSE....
WR #2
TE #2
RT
C
Slot

DEFENSE...
LB #2
FS
DT -3t
DT -1t
CB #2
RDE

To start the season, I've got more question marks about the defensive side of the ball. Especially since all the question marks on defense represents starters.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggest liability on the team is the HC. Until that is fixed does it really matter.
I’m not a huge McCarthy fan. But anyone can see he’s being undermined at every turn. The owner made it clear publicly after that playoff loss he wasn’t sure if he had confidence in Mac.

Then later he decides to say he supports him. Meanwhile Jerry doesn’t mind having rumors about Payton coming here soon or mind paying Dan Quinn HC money to stay.

Whatever any of us think about Mike McCarthy as a HC surely we can at least agree he’s not getting a lot of support from his boss.

This can’t be good for this team.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'm worried about the offensive line. I know they aren't flashy picks in the draft, but I think we need another first round OL next season as well. Tyrone is on his last leg. Martin isn't getting any younger.

IMO even if you have 9 quality starters on O/D, it’s always a good idea to take more lineman in the first round, O or D. The hit rate of Olineman that early is super good, and most of the interior guys can move around if injuries occur.

Question marks we have about this team include... who will play and how will they play.

OFFENSE....
WR #2
TE #2
RT
C
Slot

DEFENSE...
LB #2
FS
DT -3t
DT -1t
CB #2
RDE

To start the season, I've got more question marks about the defensive side of the ball. Especially since all the question marks on defense represents starters.

do you believe Biadasz is a day 1 liability more so than Tyler Smith? It often takes 2-3 years for Olineman to come into their own; Biadasz you at least know what you’re getting

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As usual, great work, BH. I don't think getting back to his early 2021 mojo will be the answer for K Moore. I think his big problem is his inability or unwillingness to adjust things mid-season. I'm hopeful it was the plethora of injuries last year as there's a lot riding on his ability to change things up every week.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
IMO even if you have 9 quality starters on O/D, it’s always a good idea to take more lineman in the first round, O or D. The hit rate of Olineman that early is super good, and most of the interior guys can move around if injuries occur.

do you believe Biadasz is a day 1 liability more so than Tyler Smith? It often takes 2-3 years for Olineman to come into their own; Biadasz you at least know what you’re getting
Yes, I have more faith in Tyler Smith than Biadasz. I really can't explain it, it's more of a gut feeling than anything. But, Tyler is a day one starter, Biadasz may not be.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I have more faith in Tyler Smith than Biadasz. I really can't explain it, it's more of a gut feeling than anything. But, Tyler is a day one starter, Biadasz may not be.
I’ll have more faith in Tyler Smith when I see him play against NFL competition in the regular season. I have high hopes but hope doesn’t block, lol.

Brax

Reaction score
I’m not a huge McCarthy fan. But anyone can see he’s being undermined at every turn. The owner made it clear publicly after that playoff loss he wasn’t sure if he had confidence in Mac.

Then later he decides to say he supports him. Meanwhile Jerry doesn’t mind having rumors about Payton coming here soon or mind paying Dan Quinn HC money to stay.

Whatever any of us think about Mike McCarthy as a HC surely we can at least agree he’s not getting a lot of support from his boss.

This can’t be good for this team.
Jerry being the only "star" at the ranch has been going on since the day he bought the team. Every coach who comes in knows this, I am sure he knew it and had no problem with it the money was good. It appears that all the problems and complaints about MM in Green Bay have resurfaced in Dallas. As for after the playoff loss did you have confidence in him? MM appears to be a guy who always has a scapegoat ready for his failures, one can only wonder who this years will be. Jerry isn't changing and MM much like JG isn't going grow a pair and say or do anything to jeopardize his job unlike Johnson or Parcells the money is too good. I lost all respect for MM in the first presser when MM said he lied to help get the job. Jerry has been and always will be the number one problem in Dallas not sure there are many who wouldn't agree with this and hiring MM and keeping him after last year's playoff loss is just another of his mismanagement of the team.