CFZ A pre-season view of our strengths and weaknesses

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I'm worried about the offensive line. I know they aren't flashy picks in the draft, but I think we need another first round OL next season as well. Tyrone is on his last leg. Martin isn't getting any younger.
I agree, but getting rid of Williams who was by far the weakest link was addition by subtraction, regardless if he is ready right away, his physicality and size already upgraded the middle. I am far more concerned with the Dline, for the same reason we are weak up the middle.

morasp

Reaction score
I see some strengths and some question marks

Unknowns
How will Lamb do as WR1 with more attention from opposing defenses?
Was Dak's below average performance in the second half of the season only due to health issues?
Offensive line OC, LG, LT Tyron's health, Tyler's development
Run defense IDL is made up of late day 2 and day 3 picks will one of them step up? At DE losing Gregory and a healthy and motivated Lawrence should be an upgrade.
WR3 Will Tolbert be as good as advertised? I think there's an above average chance that he will
WR2 will Washington be able to replace Gallup until he returns? I think he can

Strengths

Pass rush Strength
LBs strength
Secondary Strength
RB strength until injuries
TE Strength

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree, but getting rid of Williams who was by far the weakest link was addition by subtraction, regardless if he is ready right away, his physicality and size already upgraded the middle. I am far more concerned with the Dline, for the same reason we are weak up the middle.

I can't argue in regard to C.W. I can't see the rookie being any worse. The rookie isn't who I'm worried about. I'm more worried about Tyrone staying healthy. And the entire OL going forward.

Recently I've been watching regular season games I never got to see back in the late 70s where Randy White and Too Tall were in the backfield making tackles. That has momentarily taken my mind off our current soft underbelly at DT. If it's still a big issue this season, they're going to have to eventually address it in the draft.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke, is both a strength, weakness and question mark?
I was saying that Zeke is only a strength if he is part of the RBBC concept. If they try to feature him like it’s 2016, he can be a weakness. That’s the question, lol. How are they going to use him?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry being the only "star" at the ranch has been going on since the day he bought the team. Every coach who comes in knows this, I am sure he knew it and had no problem with it the money was good. It appears that all the problems and complaints about MM in Green Bay have resurfaced in Dallas. As for after the playoff loss did you have confidence in him? MM appears to be a guy who always has a scapegoat ready for his failures, one can only wonder who this years will be. Jerry isn't changing and MM much like JG isn't going grow a pair and say or do anything to jeopardize his job unlike Johnson or Parcells the money is too good. I lost all respect for MM in the first presser when MM said he lied to help get the job. Jerry has been and always will be the number one problem in Dallas not sure there are many who wouldn't agree with this and hiring MM and keeping him after last year's playoff loss is just another of his mismanagement of the team.
Brax, I agree- McCarthy’s preparation of his team for that playoff game against the 9ers last year was terrible. That gave me no confidence at all.

But if I owned this team and was the GM, I either needed at that moment to get rid of him or continue supporting him if I thought he were still good enough to be my HC. Like I said earlier, I’m not a big McCarthy fan, but if he’s going to be the HC, for the sake of the team the owner should not be undermining his HC. Jerry has never understood that and it’s one of the big reasons we’re 26 years into this playoff drought.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was saying that Zeke is only a strength if he is part of the RBBC concept. If they try to feature him like it’s 2016, he can be a weakness. That’s the question, lol. How are they going to use him?

I think they probably do RBBC. But at age 27 you would think he could handle a bigger load. I don't mean 400 carries, but you get the point.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What was unusual about this off season. The only really unusual thing, no players got in trouble. Other than Joseph being cleared by the police for a bad judgement hanging with the wrong people.
I think this off-season actually went pretty fast, for me anyway.

I disagree about the RBBC approach. It does not work. Zeke is the bell cow and the offense goes the way to OL goes all too often. Moore does need to pull his head out and realize this. Yes Pollard needs to be on the field more. But more so in the passing game, get him Into space. Not splitting the carries all the time. Go with which RB is doing the best vs. the defense at the time as in game adjustment. Which is something Moore has no concept of doing.

The run defense is the biggest concern for me. As well, the overall defense making stops at critical times, especially in the 4th quarter. Overall they should be better being the 2nd year under Quinn. Read and react approach, instead of think and react, as that slight hesitation can be the difference between a 1st down or not, or a big play or not.
The turnovers covered a lot of warts last season. Now is time to improve on that situation.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Its funny we are all worried about our O-line while most outlets are saying it may be our strongest unit with 2 HOF on it. Goes to show you how much a name can erase film to me, but they have a point why did our line under perform (In most of our eyes) so badly when they have as many or more good players than most lines in the league....again some here see what I see and thats an OC (my opinion) that will not change his scheme when the forever infamous "Beat the man in front of you" mentality will not work.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What was unusual about this off season. The only really unusual thing, no players got in trouble. Other than Joseph being cleared by the police for a bad judgement hanging with the wrong people.
I think this off-season actually went pretty fast, for me anyway.

I disagree about the RBBC approach. It does not work. Zeke is the bell cow and the offense goes the way to OL goes all too often. Moore does need to pull his head out and realize this. Yes Pollard needs to be on the field more. But more so in the passing game, get him Into space. Not splitting the carries all the time. Go with which RB is doing the best vs. the defense at the time as in game adjustment. Which is something Moore has no concept of doing.

The run defense is the biggest concern for me. As well, the overall defense making stops at critical times, especially in the 4th quarter. Overall they should be better being the 2nd year under Quinn. Read and react approach, instead of think and react, as that slight hesitation can be the difference between a 1st down or not, or a big play or not.
The turnovers covered a lot of warts last season. Now is time to improve on that situation.
Jazz, where I disagree with you is that RBBC’s don’t work. The winners of most of the recent SBs all used multiple RBs instead of one “bell cow”. Rams, TB, chiefs, pats, etc all used a RBBC.

Unless you have a young stud who can handle 20-25 carries a game, having multiple RBs is the best way to go. IMO, Zeke is no longer that kind of back. But using him and Pollard can be very effective.