A question about the Jordan Phillips trade

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
I know part of the trade is that if he's on the team for the first two games the trade goes through. But what if we pull the fast one and cut him before the season and then just resign him. I don't think he has to clear waivers. would that just void the trade?:muttley:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I know part of the trade is that if he's on the team for the first two games the trade goes through. But what if we pull the fast one and cut him before the season and then just resign him. I don't think he has to clear waivers. would that just void the trade?:muttley:
You buying that?

HanD

Reaction score
Now you're thinking like Jimmy and the Herschel trade

blueblood70

Reaction score
All that because of what a sixth round pick we're gonna lose if he's on the team that's nonsense if he only comes in for 10 to 15 snaps a game it's worth that trade...

rambo2

Reaction score
They aren't cutting him.

John813

Reaction score
If we pulled that, his rights would go back to the Giants. He would not be a FA for us to sign.

No, he was traded and his rights are only for the Cowboys. The conditions of the pick swap are what would not go through. There is no try before you buy in the NFL or player loaning lol.
It's semantics for the conditions of the picks being swapped or not.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
No, he was traded and his rights are only for the Cowboys. The conditions of the pick swap are what would not go through. There is no try before you buy in the NFL or player loaning lol.
It's semantics for the conditions of the picks being swapped or not.
But this is try before you buy. Because if he's not on the team for the first two games of the season the trade is voided. And like the other poster said his rights would probably go back to the giants. I guess.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
All that because of what a sixth round pick we're gonna lose if he's on the team that's nonsense if he only comes in for 10 to 15 snaps a game it's worth that trade...
You're missing my point. I'm asking if we can have our cake and eat it too. Have the player and the draft picks by doing some shenanigans. I was not implying that we should just cut him to get our pick back. Otherwise there would be no point in the trade to begin with.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
If we pulled that, his rights would go back to the Giants. He would not be a FA for us to sign.
That makes sense. Otherwise there would be nothing keeping us from pulling some shenanigans............ But I had to ask

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If he's worth keeping, it's best we don't get cute. DL depth is actually looking good for once. I'd rather not mess that up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What do you mean by "we?" Are you inquiring about the team cutting him, or someone on this website? The Cowboys' team isn't likely to cut him and then attempt to re-sign him. That would be absurd. On the other hand, if someone on this website attempted doing so without proper identification, it likely wouldn't work to start with. Even attempting to do so by one of us would be fraudulent, and therefore, illegal. Would you want to risk that?

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
But this is try before you buy. Because if he's not on the team for the first two games of the season the trade is voided. And like the other poster said his rights would probably go back to the giants. I guess.

The trade itself can't be voided. He's a member of the Dallas Cowboys. The pick swap gets voided.

Only a few times has a trade been reversed and the player(s) sent back/"voided". One such time was Duane Thomas being traded to the Patriots but the commissioner undid the trade and he was back with the Cowboys. That was in large part cause he refused to report to the Pats.

If he's cut by the 53 cut down, week 1, week 4, 15 etc, he's an unrestricted free agent.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
What do you mean by "we?" Are you inquiring about the team cutting him, or someone on this website? The Cowboys' team isn't likely to cut him and then attempt to re-sign him. That would be absurd. On the other hand, if someone on this website attempted doing so without proper identification, it wouldn't work to start with.
I have no idea what this means. How could someone on cowboys zone cut a player:huh:

conner01

Reaction score
But he’d be a FA to sign with any other team he wanted. Plus no team would want to trade with you if you scammed them.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
But he’d be a FA to sign with any other team he wanted. Plus no team would want to trade with you if you scammed them.
Of course that would be the downside. The trade would be voided but there would be no way to guarantee he would resign with us. Because it was a trade and we did not sign him as a free agent there's no way to know what his actual market value would be. Also it wouldn't "technically" be a scam. But it would almost be worth it to see the look on the Giants Fan's faces if we did that.:laugh: and as the other poster said if we did cut him his rights might just revert back to the giants.