A question about the Jordan Phillips trade

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Of course that would be the downside. The trade would be voided but there would be no way to guarantee he would resign with us. Because it was a trade and we did not sign him as a free agent there's no way to know what his actual market value would be. Also it wouldn't "technically" be a scam. But it would almost be worth it to see the look on the Giants Fan's faces if we did that.:laugh: and as the other poster said if we did cut him his rights might just revert back to the giants.
This part is impossible. He would be subject to waivers like everyone else cut.

conner01

Reaction score
Of course that would be the downside. The trade would be voided but there would be no way to guarantee he would resign with us. Because it was a trade and we did not sign him as a free agent there's no way to know what his actual market value would be. Also it wouldn't "technically" be a scam. But it would almost be worth it to see the look on the Giants Fan's faces if we did that.:laugh: and as the other poster said if we did cut him his rights might just revert back to the giants.
Don’t think a 6th rnd pick is gonna make or break them

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
This part is impossible. He would be subject to waivers like everyone else cut.
He is a vested veteran. So part of the year he would have to go through waivers and the other part of the year he wouldn't. Someone on here can tell us when that is. I think it's after week 6 all cut players have to go through waivers but I could be wrong.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He is a vested veteran. So part of the year he would have to go through waivers and the other part of the year he wouldn't. Someone on here can tell us when that is. I think it's after week 6 all cut players have to go through waivers but I could be wrong.
I think it's after the trade deadline.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I know part of the trade is that if he's on the team for the first two games the trade goes through. But what if we pull the fast one and cut him before the season and then just resign him. I don't think he has to clear waivers. would that just void the trade?:muttley:
On the other hand, the Cowboys could opt to run like a professional organization.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Within about a week, Dallas traded for DT Jordan Phillips and signed two free agents in DE Carl Lawson and DT Linval Joseph. Some have personal connections to the Cowboys coaches; Joseph played several years under Mike Zimmer in Minnesota and Lawson had a year with assistant Paul Guenther in Cincinnati. All have considerable NFL experience and are good fits for Zimmer’s scheme.

A few weeks earlier, Dallas also added lesser-known pass rusher Al-Quadin Muhammad.

Even after the draft and the additions of DE Marshawn Kneeland and DT Justin Rogers, it was clear that the Cowboys were thin at both positions.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ine-carl-lawson-jordan-phillips-linval-jospeh

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have no idea what this means. How could someone on cowboys zone cut a player:huh:
As far as I know, we couldn't and that's surely a good thing.:thumbup:

Obviously, I misinterpreted your OP. My humble apology for that.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
As far as I know, we couldn't and that's a very good thing . . .:thumbup:

Obviously, I misinterpreted your OP. My humble apologies for that.
Last off season I penned a very long thread that described exactly entering into leadership ground covered in Parson's posting about...

OXNARD, Calif. — Leadership is what Micah Parsons is after in 2024 because, after all, if the pride starves, the lion has failed. It's something he feels can take the Dallas Cowboys to the next level in their mission to finally end a decades-long championship drought, and he's put a lot of time this offseason not only into trying to perfect his physical form, but also his mental one.

It's a version of Parsons that appears more enlightened and self-aware than in his first two seasons with the Cowboys and, to his own admission, an area he felt needed drastic improvement.

"I don't want it to be like, 'I didn't do everything I could to make everyone better around me,'" said the three-time All-Pro pass rusher. " Last year, I didn't check that box."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...ip-plan-to-check-that-box-for-cowboys-in-2024

On site and staff non-stop cried about the very same perspective and a chorus of cry babies.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Last off season I penned a very long thread that described exactly entering into leadership ground covered in Parson's posting about...

OXNARD, Calif. — Leadership is what Micah Parsons is after in 2024 because, after all, if the pride starves, the lion has failed. It's something he feels can take the Dallas Cowboys to the next level in their mission to finally end a decades-long championship drought, and he's put a lot of time this offseason not only into trying to perfect his physical form, but also his mental one.

It's a version of Parsons that appears more enlightened and self-aware than in his first two seasons with the Cowboys and, to his own admission, an area he felt needed drastic improvement.

"I don't want it to be like, 'I didn't do everything I could to make everyone better around me,'" said the three-time All-Pro pass rusher. " Last year, I didn't check that box."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...ip-plan-to-check-that-box-for-cowboys-in-2024

On site and staff non-stop cried about the very same perspective and a chorus of cry babies.
Good stuff -- sometimes, it takes a reminder to help a guy get to ideas that are in his best interest to observe. I really like his response. ;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know part of the trade is that if he's on the team for the first two games the trade goes through. But what if we pull the fast one and cut him before the season and then just resign him. I don't think he has to clear waivers. would that just void the trade?:muttley:
1: If the Cowboys cut Jordan Phillips before game 1, then they do not owe the Giants anything.

2: As a vested veteran, Jordan Phillips would become an unrestricted free agent if cut.
- As an unrestricted free agent, he is free to sign with any team.
- He could re-sign with the Cowboys after game one (his choice).
- His salary is currently 1.2M on a one-year, non-guaranteed contract.
- Other teams might offer him more than 1.2M if they Cowboys cut him.

3: They could cut him, then sign him to the practice squad, then promote him to the 53 after game 1.
- He still wouldn't be "on the roster" with regards to the trade.
- Not certain what happens if they make him 1 of the 2 practice squad players that are active on game day.

Note 1: They often cut a player or two on cut day and then re-sign them a day later.
- They've done that with Special Teamer Goodwin a few times.
- After initial cuts, they can move players to short term IR, which frees up a spot for the cut player.
- This season, they can move 2 players to short term IR before cut day.
- Previously, if they put a player on protected-status IR before the season, he could not return to play that season.
- They could/can cut an injured player without protected status.
- The injured player can be claimed/signed by another team.
- If the injured player is not signed by another team, he reverts to IR until healthy.
- i.e. They have to pay him until he is healthy.

Note 2: Rookies must pass through waivers when cut.
- i.e. They have no choice if another team claims them.

Note 3: Vested Veterans become subject to waivers after the trade deadline.
- The trade deadline is after week 9 this season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
1: If the Cowboys cut Jordan Phillips before game 1, then they do not owe the Giants anything.

2: As a vested veteran, Jordan Phillips would become an unrestricted free agent if cut.

3: They could cut him, then sign him to the practice squad, then promote him to the 53 after game 1.
- Not certain what happens if they make him 1 of the 2 practice squad players that are active on game day.

Note 1: They often cut a player or two on cut day and then re-sign them a day later.
- After initial cuts, they can move players to short term IR, which frees up a spot for the cut player.
- Previously, if they put a player on protected-status IR before the season, he could not return to play that season.
- If the injured player is not signed by another team, he reverts to IR until healthy.

This provides more tools to retain players and also active during the season.

Rotation time on the field is what has to be protected in the defensive line.

Talent with on field time of 40 to 45% time on the field was sought and retained.

Odighizuwa is the starter for the 3 DT accounting for 54 to 60 % of the snaps there.
Musa is the regular starter for then 1 DT accounting for a slightly lower percentage of snaps.

But now with Phillips, apparently Joseph, and possibly Huggins, the Cowboys can attack this defensive tackle position in waves. Certainly, at their ages the Cowboys can't expect Phillips and at this point probably Joseph to become full-time starters at the tackle position. Last two years in Buffalo, Phillips started just 10 of 26 games played, with snap counts of 43 percent in 2022 and 44 percent in 2023.

Bigger is better. Experienced depth is a must. Keeping veterans fresh is imperative. So keep an eye on the waves of defensive tackles flowing inside, hoping to drown out their problems last year of stopping the run.

Welcome home the Cowboys' newest "committee."

By design now, they will attack play numbers by play design and the above.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-tackling-inside-with-a-new-committee

SoCalBoy

Reaction score

Great post.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You're missing my point. I'm asking if we can have our cake and eat it too. Have the player and the draft picks by doing some shenanigans. I was not implying that we should just cut him to get our pick back. Otherwise there would be no point in the trade to begin with.
I would think if we cut him and then re-signed him back that the Giants would protest the move, saying we did it just to void the trade, and the league would probably rule in New York's favor.

The league's not big on scams.