A story about the 2020 season and a story about Mike McCarthy

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To make my point clear, let me start with the story of this season. Dak went down with his horrific injury against the Giants in Mid-October in a game we ended up winning. The season was already difficult at this point, but this was a much needed divisional win. However, this win was soured by the loss of Dak. The next game, we get taken to the cleaners by the Cardinals on Monday Night in what was arguably the worst showing that this team has had in a while. That was until the following week when we get taken to the cleaners by Washington. During that game, enter Ben DiNucci as Dalton left with an injury. We went on from there to another QB in Gilbert who nearly beat the then undefeated Steelers in a valiant effort before we'd come back to Dalton. Going into the last 4 games, of this season, we were 3-9 and sitting at the 3 or 4th overall pick. Many of us, including me truthfully, were begging for the "tank" to continue. However, the tank was not to be the story of the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. In the craziest of seasons in one of the worst years in history, the Cowboys reeled a 3 game winning streak. Going from one of the worst teams to arguably looking like a playoff team. Most importantly, McCarthy has done this with FOUR different QBs. He's won FOUR games with a backup QB. Something that the previous coach couldn't do. Oh, and in a season with no real offseason. Yet, this team is red hot right now. Even if we miss the playoffs, this is impressive, and McCarthy deserves A LOT of credit. More importantly, while our draft spot is getting lower, the CONFIDENCE of this team is growing. I have no idea what will happen next week. I certainly hope we make the playoffs. I think we could be a quietly dangerous team in the playoffs. This team has been playing like they've got nothing to lose. We've quietly become a team that is finding an identity while playing with a backup QB. Our defence is getting takeaways. The team is understanding the scheme that McCarthy is implementing. They are confident in themselves. Even if we miss the playoffs, this is important because it could make us a VERY dangerous team next year. Let's say, hypothetically, we beat the Giants and the WFT beats Philly. Sure, we'd finish 6-10 and in second place in a horrible division. Sure, it might've been nice to pick 4th overall. However, the confidence that this team is exhibiting is MUCH more important than picking 4th overall. This confidence and ability that this team is showing can feed into us becoming one of the most DANGEROUS teams going into next season.

To illustrate this, I shall give you all an example. Let me tell you all a story about Mike McCarthy. In 2006, McCarthy took over the Packers as HC. They went 8-8 and missed the playoffs that year. Ironically, they finished that season in 2nd place. They were 4-8 with 4 games remaining on their schedule. Yet, they won their final 4 games including a convincing 30-19 win over the 49ers in San Francisco against a good young QB by the name of Alex Smith (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Green_Bay_Packers_season) who finished the season 7-9. The next season, the Packers roll to an impressive 13-3 record. They had the same record as us that season. We were the 1 seed because we beat them on the Thursday Night game in which TO did his popcorn celebration. This was only their second loss of the season. They went on to the NFC Championship where they lost to the eventual SB Champion NY Giants. This was the final game for Brett Favre in a Packers uniform. Not saying we'll be exactly like the Packers were then, but this is not the first time that McCarthy has started his first year with a new team and had a rough year to start. Who knows where we will finish next season? And we still have a game to go! Who knows where we'll finish this season and what confidence THAT will bring going into next season?

I daresay, if we get some key pieces on defence fixed, have Dak back healthy next season, and a full offseason including preseason games and in person OTAs, we will be quite the contender going into next season. Furthermore, this might be just the season our team needs going into our future with McCarthy. This shows our team what it takes to win games and be a dangerous team. No matter what, the players that played on this team this season can point to this season to say, "No matter what, we can do this! We can start in a huge hole and make this kind of rally." I think we should be excited as a fan base.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great post. There is always a transition when a new coaching staff comes in and the pandemic and a huge rash of injuries (probably interrelated) made this year a complete disaster. Its actually pretty impressive what the team has done in the last month with the amount of talent they have remaining.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Great post. There is always a transition when a new coaching staff comes in and the pandemic and a huge rash of injuries (probably interrelated) made this year a complete disaster. Its actually pretty impressive what the team has done in the last month with the amount of talent they have remaining.

Exactly, and I forgot to mention how this oline has come together through the great job that Philbin has done. Our entire oline had been gashed! Things couldn't have been worse about a month ago. Yet now, we look surprisingly dangerous. And that's with a MOUNTAIN of adversity facing this team. Not only did we have the usual transition that comes with changing coaches, but we had a pandemic cancel our offseason programs basically and lost the heart and soul of this team to injury midseason. Yet the team has fought valiantly! I must say, I am DAMN PROUD of this team! Regardless of what we do next week and regardless of if we make the playoffs or not next season, this team DESERVES credit! I'm DAMN proud that this team has been as valiant. I'm EXCITED for how we progress going into next season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To make my point clear, let me start with the story of this season. Dak went down with his horrific injury against the Giants in Mid-October in a game we ended up winning. The season was already difficult at this point, but this was a much needed divisional win. However, this win was soured by the loss of Dak. The next game, we get taken to the cleaners by the Cardinals on Monday Night in what was arguably the worst showing that this team has had in a while. That was until the following week when we get taken to the cleaners by Washington. During that game, enter Ben DiNucci as Dalton left with an injury. We went on from there to another QB in Gilbert who nearly beat the then undefeated Steelers in a valiant effort before we'd come back to Dalton. Going into the last 4 games, of this season, we were 3-9 and sitting at the 3 or 4th overall pick. Many of us, including me truthfully, were begging for the "tank" to continue. However, the tank was not to be the story of the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. In the craziest of seasons in one of the worst years in history, the Cowboys reeled a 3 game winning streak. Going from one of the worst teams to arguably looking like a playoff team. Most importantly, McCarthy has done this with FOUR different QBs. He's won FOUR games with a backup QB. Something that the previous coach couldn't do. Oh, and in a season with no real offseason. Yet, this team is red hot right now. Even if we miss the playoffs, this is impressive, and McCarthy deserves A LOT of credit. More importantly, while our draft spot is getting lower, the CONFIDENCE of this team is growing. I have no idea what will happen next week. I certainly hope we make the playoffs. I think we could be a quietly dangerous team in the playoffs. This team has been playing like they've got nothing to lose. We've quietly become a team that is finding an identity while playing with a backup QB. Our defence is getting takeaways. The team is understanding the scheme that McCarthy is implementing. They are confident in themselves. Even if we miss the playoffs, this is important because it could make us a VERY dangerous team next year. Let's say, hypothetically, we beat the Giants and the WFT beats Philly. Sure, we'd finish 6-10 and in second place in a horrible division. Sure, it might've been nice to pick 4th overall. However, the confidence that this team is exhibiting is MUCH more important than picking 4th overall. This confidence and ability that this team is showing can feed into us becoming one of the most DANGEROUS teams going into next season.

To illustrate this, I shall give you all an example. Let me tell you all a story about Mike McCarthy. In 2006, McCarthy took over the Packers as HC. They went 8-8 and missed the playoffs that year. Ironically, they finished that season in 2nd place. They were 4-8 with 4 games remaining on their schedule. Yet, they won their final 4 games including a convincing 30-19 win over the 49ers in San Francisco against a good young QB by the name of Alex Smith (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Green_Bay_Packers_season) who finished the season 7-9. The next season, the Packers roll to an impressive 13-3 record. They had the same record as us that season. We were the 1 seed because we beat them on the Thursday Night game in which TO did his popcorn celebration. This was only their second loss of the season. They went on to the NFC Championship where they lost to the eventual SB Champion NY Giants. This was the final game for Brett Favre in a Packers uniform. Not saying we'll be exactly like the Packers were then, but this is not the first time that McCarthy has started his first year with a new team and had a rough year to start. Who knows where we will finish next season? And we still have a game to go! Who knows where we'll finish this season and what confidence THAT will bring going into next season?

I daresay, if we get some key pieces on defence fixed, have Dak back healthy next season, and a full offseason including preseason games and in person OTAs, we will be quite the contender going into next season. Furthermore, this might be just the season our team needs going into our future with McCarthy. This shows our team what it takes to win games and be a dangerous team. No matter what, the players that played on this team this season can point to this season to say, "No matter what, we can do this! We can start in a huge hole and make this kind of rally." I think we should be excited as a fan base.

hilarious.....everyone wanted MM and Nolan fired an now all of a sudden they are hailed. Never gets old on here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While I was calling for Nolan to be fired, I have been saying all season to be patient with Mike McCarthy. I said give him time.
Nolan has had the least to work with and let’s be honest here......it’s been mostly the defense that has made this run possible.

Dalton and the offense looked the best they have all season, finally

Havic

Reaction score
I think MM deserves 3 years to get this team right. Nolan has a much tighter lease. After week 5 I wanted him gone, now I'm willing to be a little more patient with him considering over the past 3-4 weeks we are the best in the league at forcing turnovers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like what Aikman said about adversity revealing character and not creating it.

When the rat in the root cellar reared his ugly head, this could have really gone south as we've seen in the past but it only got legs as long as the team would allow that and they came to McC's side and I believe that has helped them make progress and that's what this has been, it's not great and seldom good but it is progress.

This was beginning to look like a wasted year and had they even considered tanking it would have been. They fought through some tough challenges and they have something to build on, not rebuild.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think MM deserves 3 years to get this team right. Nolan has a much tighter lease. After week 5 I wanted him gone, now I'm willing to be a little more patient with him considering over the past 3-4 weeks we are the best in the league at forcing turnovers.

Agreed about all of them. McCarthy should get at least 3, and Nolan should stay through at least next season. Now I think I'm starting to see why McCarthy brought him in.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like what Aikman said about adversity revealing character and not creating it.

When the rat in the root cellar reared his ugly head, this could have really gone south as we've seen in the past but it only got legs as long as the team would allow that and they came to McC's side and I believe that has helped them make progress and that's what this has been, it's not great and seldom good but it is progress.

This was beginning to look like a wasted year and had they even considered tanking it would have been. They fought through some tough challenges and they have something to build on, not rebuild.

Exactly, we now can build with what we have. It's not a wasted season at all. It's a season of discovery.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Howdy fur man