A tough matchup for the Cowboys

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday night sets up to be a huge challenge both as a team and in the individual matchups. The Steelers are a tough, physical team on both sides of the ball, which has proven to be a real challenge for the Cowboys for years.

STEELER STRENGTHS
  • Stopping the run. The Steelers defense averages giving up less than 90 yards per game on the ground and only 3.7 yards per carry. They have run the 3-4 defense for decades have been one of the most consistent teams to stop the run in the NFL.
  • TJ Watt is arguably the best pass rusher in this league on a consistent basis. He moves around a lot to frustrate blocking schemes. He is disruptive in all phases of defense.
  • Steelers defense only gives 262 yards per game after 4 games. They are currently ranked 2nd in total defense and only give up 13 ppg.
  • The Steelers have been able to run the ball fairly well this year averaging about 129 yards per game. They don’t have a big play running back but they pound defenses with lots of short runs and are committed to especially with the lead. QB Justin Fields is a good runner but not a good passer.
STEELERS WEAKNESSES
  • QB Justin Fields is not a good passer. He’s mobile and can run but if his team gets behind more than a TD he’s way less effective.
  • The Steelers offense only averages 317 ypg, currently ranked 17th, two spots below our offense which is ranked 15th.
  • If the Steelers get behind, they don’t have a great ability to comeback because their passing game is not that great.
  • The Steelers have not been that great at home going back to last year. In their last 10 home games, they are 6-4. Sunday night’s game will only be their second home game this year.
I think the absolute keys to a Cowboys win in this game are:
  • Cowboys need to score first. The Steelers defense is devastating with a two score lead.
  • Find a way to limit TJ Watt’s pass rush. (Easier said than done)
  • Get some turnovers somehow. Fields has a tendency to throw picks under pressure so we may need to blitz more with Parsons and DLaw out.
  • Cowboys must be willing to take chances on both sides of the ball. Playing conservative against a team that is way more physical plays into their hands.
I expect this to be a very physical game and potentially low scoring. If the Cowboys get behind early, it plays right into the Steelers strengths. We are going to find out quickly Sun night how tough the Cowboys are both physically and mentally.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys game plan is anything like what we’ve seen the first 4 weeks…conservative, uncomplicated and predictable, this game could get ugly quickly.

Big Mac better be reaching into his bag of tricks (if he even has one) to find some new wrinkles. Otherwise this could be over by halftime.

Hope not but man this offense has been so boring the first month.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We know the biggest thing and it's clearly Fields and Watt, if they don't have some kind of plan to neutralize these 2, it's going to be a long long long night. It makes me sick to my stomach saying Fields being good lol, but we shall see what happens!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, since we are on the National stage Sunday night, I fully expect the Dallas Cowboys to lose the game. I just don't see us winning that game. We just have too many weaknesses, and players out. Also, Bob, you forgot to mention one of the Steelers strengths is the refs!! LOL :grin:
They're at home too (Pitt) those stupid yellow towels will be waving, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to deal with all the crowd noise etc. When we have 3rd and long it's going to get real loud, DAK takes a sack!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys rookie OL will be experiencing lots of learning Sunday night.

Beebe has been better than Guyton so far this year. Beebe has shown good development in his pass-blocking; on 268 snaps, he has allowed just 2 sacks, 1 quarterback hurry, and 3 pressures. Guyton has struggled more, although he has been occasionally good too. He has allowed 4 sacks, 1 quarterback hit, and 6 quarterback hurries through 269 snaps.

These guys are going to have a big challenge Sun night.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The Cowboys rookie OL will be experiencing lots of learning Sunday night.

Beebe has been better than Guyton so far this year. Beebe has shown good development in his pass-blocking; on 268 snaps, he has allowed just 2 sacks, 1 quarterback hurry, and 3 pressures. Guyton has struggled more, although he has been occasionally good too. He has allowed 4 sacks, 1 quarterback hit, and 6 quarterback hurries through 269 snaps.

These guys are going to have a big challenge Sun night.
Comparing an OT to a C who is getting a lot more help isn't really fair, especially considering the edge talent that they've played against.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday night sets up to be a huge challenge both as a team and in the individual matchups. The Steelers are a tough, physical team on both sides of the ball, which has proven to be a real challenge for the Cowboys for years.

STEELER STRENGTHS
  • Stopping the run. The Steelers defense averages giving up less than 90 yards per game on the ground and only 3.7 yards per carry. They have run the 3-4 defense for decades have been one of the most consistent teams to stop the run in the NFL.
  • TJ Watt is arguably the best pass rusher in this league on a consistent basis. He moves around a lot to frustrate blocking schemes. He is disruptive in all phases of defense.
  • Steelers defense only gives 262 yards per game after 4 games. They are currently ranked 2nd in total defense and only give up 13 ppg.
  • The Steelers have been able to run the ball fairly well this year averaging about 129 yards per game. They don’t have a big play running back but they pound defenses with lots of short runs and are committed to especially with the lead. QB Justin Fields is a good runner but not a good passer.
STEELERS WEAKNESSES
  • QB Justin Fields is not a good passer. He’s mobile and can run but if his team gets behind more than a TD he’s way less effective.
  • The Steelers offense only averages 317 ypg, currently ranked 17th, two spots below our offense which is ranked 15th.
  • If the Steelers get behind, they don’t have a great ability to comeback because their passing game is not that great.
  • The Steelers have not been that great at home going back to last year. In their last 10 home games, they are 6-4. Sunday night’s game will only be their second home game this year.
  • Cowboys need to score first. The Steelers defense is devastating with a two score lead.
  • Get some turnovers somehow. Fields has a tendency to throw picks under pressure so we may need to blitz more with Parsons and DLaw out.
  • Cowboys must be willing to take chances on both sides of the ball. Playing conservative against a team that is way more physical plays into their hands.
I expect this to be a very physical game and potentially low scoring. If the Cowboys get behind early, it plays right into the Steelers strengths. We are going to find out quickly Sun night how tough the Cowboys are both physically and mentally.
Great post....and, you didn't even blame Jerry.
Salud and Go Cowboys!

Creeper

Reaction score

STEELER STRENGTHS
STEELERS WEAKNESSES
Good assessment of the game. TJ Watt against either of our tackles is a mismatch.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Steelers crowd will be rabid but tbf I see this as a comfortable Dallas win. Dallas defense can focus on the run and Fields won’t take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage.

24-13 Dallas

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well, since we are on the National stage Sunday night, I fully expect the Dallas Cowboys to lose the game. I just don't see us winning that game. We just have too many weaknesses, and players out. Also, Bob, you forgot to mention one of the Steelers strengths is the refs!! LOL :grin:
Oh this is SNF? Excellent. I'm one of the few around here that loves SNF.