A tough matchup for the Cowboys

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we had a chance. Justin Fields isn't any good and Aubrey can make FGs from 70 yards out.
I hear and love your love for them, but they haven't shown much in these games they were here, which leads me and others to feel that it wouldn't have mattered. We struggled with running QB's, we struggle taking down Qb's for sacks, we get there and ALMOST take them down

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear and love your love for them, but they haven't shown much in these games they were here, which leads me and others to feel that it wouldn't have mattered. We struggled with running QB's, we struggle taking down Qb's for sacks, we get there and ALMOST take them down
I think we would have lost wither way b/c Field and Najee Harris are going to be a problem running the ball. But, you never know when a player like Micah can come up with a play and maybe the defense scores some points. I expect Pittsburgh to beat us by 20 points.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we would have lost wither way b/c Field and Najee Harris are going to be a problem running the ball. But, you never know when a player like Micah can come up with a play and maybe the defense scores some points. I expect Pittsburgh to beat us by 20 points.
looooooool 20 points yikes!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s all about starting fast. We are a completely different team with the lead early.

We are the underdog so don’t expect to win but wouldn’t count us out. We have a shot.

If we don’t turn it over should be in it.

CWR

Reaction score
The matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday night sets up to be a huge challenge both as a team and in the individual matchups. The Steelers are a tough, physical team on both sides of the ball, which has proven to be a real challenge for the Cowboys for years.

STEELER STRENGTHS
  • Stopping the run. The Steelers defense averages giving up less than 90 yards per game on the ground and only 3.7 yards per carry. They have run the 3-4 defense for decades have been one of the most consistent teams to stop the run in the NFL.
  • TJ Watt is arguably the best pass rusher in this league on a consistent basis. He moves around a lot to frustrate blocking schemes. He is disruptive in all phases of defense.
  • Steelers defense only gives 262 yards per game after 4 games. They are currently ranked 2nd in total defense and only give up 13 ppg.
  • The Steelers have been able to run the ball fairly well this year averaging about 129 yards per game. They don’t have a big play running back but they pound defenses with lots of short runs and are committed to especially with the lead. QB Justin Fields is a good runner but not a good passer.
STEELERS WEAKNESSES
  • QB Justin Fields is not a good passer. He’s mobile and can run but if his team gets behind more than a TD he’s way less effective.
  • The Steelers offense only averages 317 ypg, currently ranked 17th, two spots below our offense which is ranked 15th.
  • If the Steelers get behind, they don’t have a great ability to comeback because their passing game is not that great.
  • The Steelers have not been that great at home going back to last year. In their last 10 home games, they are 6-4. Sunday night’s game will only be their second home game this year.
I think the absolute keys to a Cowboys win in this game are:
  • Cowboys need to score first. The Steelers defense is devastating with a two score lead.
  • Find a way to limit TJ Watt’s pass rush. (Easier said than done)
  • Get some turnovers somehow. Fields has a tendency to throw picks under pressure so we may need to blitz more with Parsons and DLaw out.
  • Cowboys must be willing to take chances on both sides of the ball. Playing conservative against a team that is way more physical plays into their hands.
I expect this to be a very physical game and potentially low scoring. If the Cowboys get behind early, it plays right into the Steelers strengths. We are going to find out quickly Sun night how tough the Cowboys are both physically and mentally.
I don't know I agree with all. They run the ball because they stay with it. They aren't particularly good at it, but they are committed. Fields is a different threat though and we may struggle to contain him.

On offense we can't run anyway, so I'm not sure strength vs weakness matter that much.

If we are going to win it's going to have to be the QB getting it done.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know I agree with all. They run the ball because they stay with it. They aren't particularly good at it, but they are committed. Fields is a different threat though and we may struggle to contain him.

On offense we can't run anyway, so I'm not sure strength vs weakness matter that much.

If we are going to win it's going to have to be the QB getting it done.
The Steelers are an average team IMO that is supremely coached. They haven’t had a QB since Big Ben yet Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season.

You’re right that they don’t a lot of things well but they know who they are as a team. They’ve run the same 3-4 defense for decades and they are not afraid to just play smash mouth football on offense.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Some say the same scared stuff no matter who we play. It will be tough, but we can win.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The next three games will be tough matchups. We’re going to be challenged just to go 1-2. I like our chances against Pittsburgh better than I do Detroit and San Francisco.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The Steelers are middling at running the ball, even with Fields.
They do run a lot though. That's what their per game average is indicative of. Their running average is nothing impressive.
Fields as a passer seems to be the bigger threat, with the Steelers.

Either way, their offense isn't scary.

Defense is their strength, though they kind of sucked last week.

75boyz

Reaction score
Kinda simple really.
Be a hard nosed, tough opponent who can run the football and play above average defense and you've got a real good chance of beating the Cowboys.

And if you've got a good coach or QB, or both, your odds are even better.

rambo2

Reaction score
The matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday night sets up to be a huge challenge both as a team and in the individual matchups. The Steelers are a tough, physical team on both sides of the ball, which has proven to be a real challenge for the Cowboys for years.

STEELER STRENGTHS
  • Stopping the run. The Steelers defense averages giving up less than 90 yards per game on the ground and only 3.7 yards per carry. They have run the 3-4 defense for decades have been one of the most consistent teams to stop the run in the NFL.
  • TJ Watt is arguably the best pass rusher in this league on a consistent basis. He moves around a lot to frustrate blocking schemes. He is disruptive in all phases of defense.
  • Steelers defense only gives 262 yards per game after 4 games. They are currently ranked 2nd in total defense and only give up 13 ppg.
  • The Steelers have been able to run the ball fairly well this year averaging about 129 yards per game. They don’t have a big play running back but they pound defenses with lots of short runs and are committed to especially with the lead. QB Justin Fields is a good runner but not a good passer.
STEELERS WEAKNESSES
  • QB Justin Fields is not a good passer. He’s mobile and can run but if his team gets behind more than a TD he’s way less effective.
  • The Steelers offense only averages 317 ypg, currently ranked 17th, two spots below our offense which is ranked 15th.
  • If the Steelers get behind, they don’t have a great ability to comeback because their passing game is not that great.
  • The Steelers have not been that great at home going back to last year. In their last 10 home games, they are 6-4. Sunday night’s game will only be their second home game this year.
I think the absolute keys to a Cowboys win in this game are:
  • Cowboys need to score first. The Steelers defense is devastating with a two score lead.
  • Find a way to limit TJ Watt’s pass rush. (Easier said than done)
  • Get some turnovers somehow. Fields has a tendency to throw picks under pressure so we may need to blitz more with Parsons and DLaw out.
  • Cowboys must be willing to take chances on both sides of the ball. Playing conservative against a team that is way more physical plays into their hands.
I expect this to be a very physical game and potentially low scoring. If the Cowboys get behind early, it plays right into the Steelers strengths. We are going to find out quickly Sun night how tough the Cowboys are both physically and mentally.
It also could be played in a thunderstorm. It's a big and interesting game. A 3rd win would be huge. Hopefully, Carson is ready to play and they actually give Luepke and Flournoy some touches. Hopefully, they get some big plays from Rico, Turpin, and Tolbert. Hopefully, the Cowboy edge at qb pays off.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Steelers are not beating the Cowboys by 20 points.