Video: A treat for the Zeppelin fans

Hardline

Reaction score
This was a home movie made in 1970 at Headley Grange where the 4th Zeppelin album was recorded.
What you are hearing is a very raw rehearsal of the legendary song Stairway to Heaven.

R-4214501-1358742947-5907.jpeg.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I heard an interview with Jimmy Page, saying that while they were on the farm recording the album, a Black Dog would follow him around when he was playing. I wonder if that German Shepherd is the "black" dog.

Hardline

Reaction score
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I heard an interview with Jimmy Page, saying that while they were on the farm recording the album, a Black Dog would follow him around when he was playing. I wonder if that German Shepherd is the "black" dog.
I would bet you are right. That truck in the video was used to record Rolling Stones albums.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The guy at the 1st of the video is Richard Cole who was their road manager and 2nd in command under Peter Grant. The album was officially released with no title and their no mention of a title or artist on the record front or spine at all, Page wanted the music to stand on its on with no mention of the band. They were however allowed to pick out their own symbols which is why the album is often called ZOSO. Four sticks was actually recorded with 4 sticks in Bonham's hands 2 in each hand. When the Levee Breaks was recorded they used a big open hallway with the mics set 2 far away. Page always believed in "distance makes depth" when recording and there was no better example than Levee.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I saw the band at knebworth in 1979, the highlight of my gig going life. Seen some great bands before and after that gig but nothing will ever beat that day.

Bet it was awesome, sometimes when a band has a less than stellar performance its called "their Knebworth" which is a nods to Zeppelins performance. While still good it didn't hold a candle to the earlier stuff notably 71-75.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Jimmy Page visits Headley Grange

I saw Page and Plant on twice No Quarter Tour in the early 90's, one of the greatest concerts I ever saw ...

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Bet it was awesome, sometimes when a band has a less than stellar performance its called "their Knebworth" which is a nods to Zeppelins performance. While still good it didn't hold a candle to the earlier stuff notably 71-75.
You can see the gig on their zeppelin dvd. I'm by the tree to the right of the stage!
It might not be in the top ten but i thought it was great. In the uk we didn't get to see much of zep, their previous big tour was in 75 and as a schoolboy i could not afford to go even if i could get a ticket. I saw the stones around then and beleve me zep were in another league.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
You can see the gig on their zeppelin dvd. I'm by the tree to the right of the stage!
It might not be in the top ten but i thought it was great. In the uk we didn't get to see much of zep, their previous big tour was in 75 and as a schoolboy i could not afford to go even if i could get a ticket. I saw the stones around then and beleve me zep were in another league.

That had to be a wonderful experience, the last time Zeppelin came to Oklahoma was spring of 77 and I wasn't allowed to go to concerts at the age of 13. Since then I have managed to see Plant 3 times solo, Page with the Firm in 86 and Page/Plant in 98. All stellar performances.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was a home movie made in 1970 at Headley Grange where the 4th Zeppelin album was recorded.
What you are hearing is a very raw rehearsal of the legendary song Stairway to Heaven.

R-4214501-1358742947-5907.jpeg.jpg
I want to spend Thanksgiving there. Very Fallish looking. I probably should say Autumnish since that is England and Fallish isn't a word.