FEATURED A tribute to our dear friend CouchCoach

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I did not realize this either.
I somehow missed this critical announcement post of his.
If there was an announcement posted, I never saw it. There was another mod who passed away in August 2009. The announcement of his passing was posted on a different board I was posting on at the time. That’s how I found this board.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am sad to announce we have recently lost an irreplaceable member of our fan community here at The Zone. Michael Baer, aka “CouchCoach” has passed away after a long illness which was confirmed by his son today. Like me, many of you have noticed his absence of late and missed his always fun and interesting insights here.

I have known CC for over a decade going back to the days of the old Cowboys forum on the team site. He was always gracious and funny with a sharp and insightful wit and a wise contributor to all the topics he visited.

Reading his posts were not only interesting and smile inducing, they also were often full of wisdom and insight to life itself. His writing style was incredibly witty, clever and off beat, often bringing insights into not only football but many topics of life. We communicated frequently through PMs the last year and a half talking about his health and the challenges he faced. He never lost his sense of humor or wit in the face of pain and decline.

Many times in the last year, Couch Coach wrote in great detail and eloquence in the “Morning Pops” thread of his long and difficult health journey. If you’ve never read them, it might be worth your time to revisit what he wrote and take note of how gracious he remained to the end.

His last post on our forum was made on Sept.19th when he welcomed a new member (which he often did) by simply saying, “Welcome to the best sports site.” It was the last thing he wrote here.

His kindness was always upfront. His humor was quick and top shelf; never at the expense of someone else and often self deprecating. He loved the Cowboys but had long ago let go of basing his happiness on their success.

One way we can ALL honor our dear friend is by following his example - don’t take yourself or your points on this forum too seriously. Being kind to our fellow fans is way more important than being right.

Any time any one of us takes the time to welcome a new member to the forum, or encourages someone here, or reminds us that life is more important than what happens to the Cowboys each week, we should remember Michael “Couch Coach” Baer.

Rest in peace brother. You are deeply missed.
Go Cowboys!
Well said, as expected, brother.

CC was my favorite poster from the first time we interacted, right up to the end. I'll miss him very much.

On the old site there was a steadily growing group of posters who took great pleasure in not taking anything seriously. When we saw a thread that was starting to get too serious, especially when bad vibes were happening, we'd hijack the thread with jocularity and nonsense.(Because that site was just a chaotic $*#@show, we weren't worried about getting benched.) We named ourselves the Post Jackers' Guild (PJG), and since jocularity and nonsense were CC's brand, we unanimously elected him "Grand Poobah" of the PJG, whether he wanted it or not...He gracefully accepted.

When the old site was inevitably shut down, most of us came here, and Reality was kind enough to make the transition easy for us, which is something CC greatly appreciated and respected. At first, there were a few people who didn't understand his sense of humor and came back at him harshly. He never let them bother him one bit, and after usually at least trying to express the innocuous nature of his post, he'd let it go; eventually they'd come around. That was the nature of my friend, CouchCoach, and I do truly consider him a friend - something I never would have expected to feel about someone I'd never met in person.

As the OP, Bobhaze alluded to, CC was always very open about himself, regarding his wife who'd passed many years ago, whom he clearly loved and missed so much, and regarding his (as he referred to it "The Monster") cancer. Oddly, it turned out to be the very same rare type that had taken his wife. He never showed any sign of self pity. In fact, he used his misfortune to help others cope with their own problems. That's who he was, to the best of my knowledge.

CC, you'll be greatly missed and loved by so many people who've never even seen your face...All hail the Grand Poobah!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CC was my favorite poster from the first time we interacted, right up to the end. I'll miss him very much.

On the old site there was a steadily growing group of posters who took great pleasure in not taking anything seriously. When we saw a thread that was starting to get too serious, especially when bad vibes were happening, we'd hijack the thread with jocularity and nonsense.(Because that site was just a chaotic $*#@show, we weren't worried about getting benched.) We named ourselves the Post Jackers' Guild (PJG), and since jocularity and nonsense were CC's brand, we unanimously elected him "Grand Poobah" of the PJG, whether he wanted it or not...He gracefully accepted.

When the old site was inevitably shut down, most of us came here, and Reality was kind enough to make the transition easy for us, which is something CC greatly appreciated and respected. At first, there were a few people who didn't understand his sense of humor and came back at him harshly. He never let them bother him one bit, and after usually at least trying to express the innocuous nature of his post, he'd let it go; eventually they'd come around. That was the nature of my friend, CouchCoach, and I do truly consider him a friend - something I never would have expected to feel about someone I'd never met in person.

As the OP, Bobhaze alluded to, CC was always very open about himself, regarding his wife who'd passed many years ago, whom he clearly loved and missed so much, and regarding his (as he referred to it "The Monster") cancer. Oddly, it turned out to be the very same rare type that had taken his wife. He never showed any sign of self pity. In fact, he used his misfortune to help others cope with their own problems. That's who he was, to the best of my knowledge.

CC, you'll be greatly missed and loved by so many people who've never even seen your face...All hail the Grand Poobah!
What an absolutely great tribute RW. Thank you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If there was an announcement posted, I never saw it. There was another mod who passed away in August 2009. The announcement of his passing was posted on a different board I was posting on at the time. That’s how I found this board.
There was no official announcement. He kept us apprised of his condition in the "Morning Pops" thread in the MembersZone.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wow, that's a real kick in the gut. Couch and I shared a couple of personal pep talks with each other when our spirits were down. He was a great guy and will be sorely missed. I'm truly saddened by this news. My condolences go out to his family. I have no doubt he enjoyed today's win with a great view and exceptional company. Rest In Bliss, my fellow Cow Pokes fan. We will meet again. ;)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Well said, he was a truly great poster. He was a lot of fun to chat with on here and the old forum. You, he, StarHart, and a few others were among the first on the old forum to accept me for who I really am, and I really appreciate it.

ESisback

Reaction score
I am sad to announce we have recently lost an irreplaceable member of our fan community here at The Zone. Michael Baer, aka “CouchCoach” has passed away after a long illness which was confirmed by his son today. Like me, many of you have noticed his absence of late and missed his always fun and interesting insights here.

I have known CC for over a decade going back to the days of the old Cowboys forum on the team site. He was always gracious and funny with a sharp and insightful wit and a wise contributor to all the topics he visited.

Reading his posts were not only interesting and smile inducing, they also were often full of wisdom and insight to life itself. His writing style was incredibly witty, clever and off beat, often bringing insights into not only football but many topics of life. We communicated frequently through PMs the last year and a half talking about his health and the challenges he faced. He never lost his sense of humor or wit in the face of pain and decline.

Many times in the last year, Couch Coach wrote in great detail and eloquence in the “Morning Pops” thread of his long and difficult health journey. If you’ve never read them, it might be worth your time to revisit what he wrote and take note of how gracious he remained to the end.

His last post on our forum was made on Sept.19th when he welcomed a new member (which he often did) by simply saying, “Welcome to the best sports site.” It was the last thing he wrote here.

His kindness was always upfront. His humor was quick and top shelf; never at the expense of someone else and often self deprecating. He loved the Cowboys but had long ago let go of basing his happiness on their success.

One way we can ALL honor our dear friend is by following his example - don’t take yourself or your points on this forum too seriously. Being kind to our fellow fans is way more important than being right.

Any time any one of us takes the time to welcome a new member to the forum, or encourages someone here, or reminds us that life is more important than what happens to the Cowboys each week, we should remember Michael “Couch Coach” Baer.

Go Cowboys!
CC was a friend and a mentor, a wordsmith, a comedian and a deep thinker. I admired him immensely, and I liked to think we were in the same ballpark. We weren’t. He was the Grand Poobah of The Postjacker’s Guild, not by his own hand, but because every other “member” couldn’t imagine anyone else with the title. Over the years we had many interesting discussions. I’ll never forget them. Or Coach.

Love you brother. RIP.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Go Cowboys!
God bless him ......I will miss him. He always treated me with respect, and respect him.

ESisback

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing. Fortunately I was able to say my goodbyes a few weeks ago while he was in Hospice.

Michael was a good friend and Allie in these forums for over 15 years. He will be dearly missed , never forgotten and irreplaceable.

Unfortunately in this anonymous setting we don’t often get to know other members personally. Michael shared some of his personal life with us as I did many years ago myself which some was used against me in the early days . He PM years ago advising not to divulge as much and provided his name and since I retired turned out we don’t live that far apart.

These forums will never be the same again.
RIP
Good tribute my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.