A true story about our OLine.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm more worried about our interior linemen than our tackles, and you should be too. We know what we have with Flo, and between Pettiti and Colombo, we have something. Our issue is if Gurode is smart enough to win the job from our backward running center, if Rivera wants to play like he did in Green Bay, or if Kosier can prove to be the FA steal we hope he is.

Because Bledsoe is going to get smacked from the middle, not the edges.

I have spoken.

sago1

Reaction score
Agree that our opponents will try coming up the middle to get to Bledsoe. After all, they can't double both TO & Glenn and still cover Witten/Fasano & keep an eye on JJ so best course of defense is to come after Bledsoe.

As far as our OL is concerned, I don't think we will know what we have until after the 3rd preseason game or more likely in the first game against the Jags. At this point it's even possible our starting OL could even be
Adams/Kosier/Gurode/Riveria/Colombo. On the other hand, that could change several times before the end of TC. I'll guess we will have to wait until latter part of preseason before really knowing who our starters will be.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Addendum - in our division, our backs and H-B/TEs will be important here as well.

Drew/our OL are at their worst when teams blitz up the middle. The two best opponent defenses in our division specialize in coming at you up the middle, shooting the gaps and confusing guys (like Gurode, who is confused by shiny objects).

And I'm not trying to be doom and gloom - really, I'm not. But we can't simulate in practice what those teams do , because they are so different than us in what they do on offense.

Just a little dark thought to add to all the good news for today. It's still a good day. Go, and be cheerful.

MiStar

Reaction score
Our biggest problem is depth. If we loose Flozell, Kosier, or Rivera we could be in a lot of trouble. I for one am convinced that our current offensive woes are largely due to the talent of our defense.

One must wonder what the Bear's training camp looked like last year.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Rivera has looked good and Kosier at least looks good running plays. Al w/ his extra ten has to be better than last year.

Put it this way:

Petitti 2005< Petitti 2006 or Colombo 2006 (development and offseason has to help)
Rivera 2005 < Rivera 2006 (another season away freom major injury)
Johnson 2005 < Johnson 2006 ( + 10 lbs of lower body weight)
LA2005 < Kosier 2006 ( let me say, we should have gotten rid of him 3 years ago)
Tucker 2005 < Flo 2006 ( Tucker, need I say more)

I am not saying we are the best OL ever, but we have enough to give our weapons time to get open. Thats all we need.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
dmq said:
Rivera has looked good and Kosier at least looks good running plays. Al w/ his extra ten has to be better than last year.

Put it this way:

Petitti 2005< Petitti 2006 or Colombo 2006 (development and offseason has to help)
Rivera 2005 < Rivera 2006 (another season away freom major injury)
Johnson 2005 < Johnson 2006 ( + 10 lbs of lower body weight)
LA2005 < Kosier 2006 ( let me say, we should have gotten rid of him 3 years ago)
Tucker 2005 < Flo 2006 ( Tucker, need I say more)

I am not saying we are the best OL ever, but we have enough to give our weapons time to get open. Thats all we need.

I hope you're right. But honestly, we said the same thing last year before training camp - that no WAY could our OL be worse a year later.

And it actually was.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Im not convinced this unit is any better than that sorry state of affairs we fielded in the last season. I am willing to wait, but I do not see any improvement in the quality of the players. We still have the same issues, a question mark on the RT, an unknown quantity that could either put up a great game or get beat like a drum at LG, the same group at center, another unfortunate year of Rivera, and Flo who is....well Flo. They will be by far the weekest link on the team.

wileedog

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I hope you're right. But honestly, we said the same thing last year before training camp - that no WAY could our OL be worse a year later.

And it actually was.

I liked to think last year formed a baseline.....

Cause God it sucked.

I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that there is no way this line will be worse than last year.

Book it.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
iceberg said:
it can when it's queso.

mmmmmmmmmmmm - queso....

Now I agree queso is mucho delicioso and better than some pudding like tapioca, and vanilla, but banana pudding with little cookies in it mmmmmm

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I really think folks need to get to the point where they stop thinking about Gurode being a starting center.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I really think folks need to get to the point where they stop thinking about Gurode being a starting center.

But is Johnson at center any less of a revolting thought?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
abersonc said:

I'd like to get to the point where I stop thinking of either Gurode or Johnson as the starting center.

You want something crazy? I liked Matt Lehr better than both of them.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Somebody has to start and Johnson is still being pushed back until he is in Bledsoe's lap...10 pounds of muscle or no 10 pounds of muscle. If Dre can hold up in the middle then so be it.

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'm more worried about our interior linemen than our tackles, and you should be too. We know what we have with Flo, and between Pettiti and Colombo, we have something. Our issue is if Gurode is smart enough to win the job from our backward running center, if Rivera wants to play like he did in Green Bay, or if Kosier can prove to be the FA steal we hope he is.
Because Bledsoe is going to get smacked from the middle, not the edges.

I have spoken.

Excuse me for asking, but why is post entitled "A true story about our OLine"?

The only true story is that this thread is just more whining......

Have some more whine with your queso, cheese, and pudding, boyz.....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Somebody has to start and Johnson is still being pushed back until he is in Bledsoe's lap...10 pounds of muscle or no 10 pounds of muscle. If Dre can hold up in the middle then so be it.

What's better? Pushed back or not knowing who to block? Pushed back or failing to make the right line calls to adjust?

Center is about more than being physically dominant -- the center's calls affect the entire line - and on that end, Johnson is clearly the better option.

I'd wait to see how Al does in an actual game -- centers often team with a G on blocks -- that one on one stuff may not do his game justice.

Obviously, I'd far rather see Al's head on Gurode's body. But Bill will always go with the brain.