A true story about our OLine.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
Excuse me for asking, but why is post entitled "A true story about our OLine"?

The only true story is that this thread is just more whining......

Have some more whine with your queso, cheese, and pudding, boyz.....
You are excused.

Nobody was whining. I was expressing a concern. My goal was to breakdown our weaknesses on the OLine and show that our tackles aren't the problems.

And the original post was speculation - I never said that anything was necessarily wrong.

We had a lot of good news come our way. But heaven forbid we continue to be critical about our team's weaknesses.

Here I'll make you feel better - everything is roses, the world is a beautiful place, our OLine will have 11ybillion pancakes, Hos won't kill any kickers this year, Winicki and Juke will finally feel free enough to take their relationship out of PMs, you will be annointed board God and Woody's Girl will come to and see that I really am the man of her dreams.

Is that enough Happy Talk With DangerousDave for you?:cool:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
abersonc said:
What's better? Pushed back or not knowing who to block? Pushed back or failing to make the right line calls to adjust?

Center is about more than being physically dominant -- the center's calls affect the entire line - and on that end, Johnson is clearly the better option.

I'd wait to see how Al does in an actual game -- centers often team with a G on blocks -- that one on one stuff may not do his game justice.

Obviously, I'd far rather see Al's head on Gurode's body. But Bill will always go with the brain.

For our purposes, both are bad, but in reality, Rivera is known to be pretty keen and correct Gurode.

What is bad is when a 1 or 2 tackle pushes back your zero gap into a QB who has bad footwork anyway while the 7 & 9 implode around him, keeping him from stepping up or laterally.

Parcells wants Johnson to do well, but the fact that Gurode is still here speaks volumes.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
Excuse me for asking, but why is post entitled "A true story about our OLine"?

The only true story is that this thread is just more whining......

Have some more whine with your queso, cheese, and pudding, boyz.....

mmmm pudding

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Here I'll make you feel better - everything is roses, the world is a beautiful place, our OLine will have 11ybillion sacks, Hos won't kill any kickers this year, Winicki and Juke will finally feel free enough to take their relationship out of PMs, you will be annointed board God and Woody's Girl will come to and see that I really am the man of her dreams.

Is that enough Happy Talk With DangerousDave for you?:cool:

Giving up 11ybillion sacks doesnt make me feel better Crown

scottsp

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'm more worried about our interior linemen than our tackles, and you should be too. We know what we have with Flo, and between Pettiti and Colombo, we have something. Our issue is if Gurode is smart enough to win the job from our backward running center, if Rivera wants to play like he did in Green Bay, or if Kosier can prove to be the FA steal we hope he is.

Because Bledsoe is going to get smacked from the middle, not the edges.

I have spoken.

I agree with much of this. For all of the potbanging and sunshine pumping, we haven't a clue as to how this unit will function. We won't have one until this club lines it up in real, live game action.

Everything is always hopeful at this point of training camp. But until this offensive line proves it can neutralize and sustain at the point of attack, we can't even begin to discuss second-level blocking and that sort of thing.

The questions raised are legitimate, IMO. Everyone knows the arrival of T.O. means less eight-in-the-box, but the point of attack blocking problems remain. And Dallas has those problems, until this unit proves otherwise.

I would agree about the interior vs. the edge guys, the tackles. But even those are question marks right now. Improved? Maybe. Logic says things should be better there, but we don't know. Depth? It's a luxury few teams, if any, have up front on that side of the ball. I worry about the first unit for now.

And that's saying a lot because there will be injuries there. There always are.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'm more worried about our interior linemen than our tackles, and you should be too. We know what we have with Flo, and between Pettiti and Colombo, we have something. Our issue is if Gurode is smart enough to win the job from our backward running center, if Rivera wants to play like he did in Green Bay, or if Kosier can prove to be the FA steal we hope he is.

Because Bledsoe is going to get smacked from the middle, not the edges.

I have spoken.

I must have imagined the 26 sacks from the edge last year. No doubt teams like to attack Bledsoe from the middle, but why bother when you can blow by the tackles.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, it's early, but at some point maybe we need to ask if we have a "legitimate" OL coach on this team. I watching some footwork and such and I don't see alot of improvment.:confused:

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
when I was robbing this house once, I heated a brick of cheese..... I NEED MY CHEESE!

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
noshame said:
Well, it's early, but at some point maybe we need to ask if we have a "legitimate" OL coach on this team. I watching some footwork and such and I don't see alot of improvment.:confused:
I'll buy that. Sparano hasn't impressed me either since he took over the OL.

sago1

Reaction score
This point was mentioned earlier on this board by someone else but is there any reason why Riveria couldn't make the calls instead of Gurode. This idea was posted on the board months ago & it was then mentioned that 1-2 teams had indeed done such a thing (don't recall which teams but think one of them might have been the Jets). I know the C is in ideal middle position to clearly see the whole field but, given Gurode's problems, maybe best solution lies with veteran player like Riveria. Okay, go ahead and shot this idea down.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sago1 said:
This point was mentioned earlier on this board by someone else but is there any reason why Riveria couldn't make the calls instead of Gurode. This idea was posted on the board months ago & it was then mentioned that 1-2 teams had indeed done such a thing (don't recall which teams but think one of them might have been the Jets). I know the C is in ideal middle position to clearly see the whole field but, given Gurode's problems, maybe best solution lies with veteran player like Riveria. Okay, go ahead and shot this idea down.

Good thought. However, there are a few issues. If it's noisy(crowd) sometimes the center will use a hand signal to make a call or adjustment, the whole line can't see the G.

Also the offside tackle and TE would have a difficult time hearing calls all of the time. Lastly, the center has the best view of the entire defense. Gotta watch those pesky LB's.

Otherwise, yes, it would be an easy fix.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Now I agree queso is mucho delicioso and better than some pudding like tapioca, and vanilla, but banana pudding with little cookies in it mmmmmm

00000000 - now i want some bananna nut bread!