A vision or philosophy is needed to build a winner

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don’t reach for need, and draft talented football players you will field a better team in the long run. We did the right think by drafting Lamb.

Right now the identity of this team is a blitzkreig offense with 3 or4 WR sets. We will have an attacking defense once the players figure it out and we get a few starters back. I like the aggressiveness this team is showing. It will pay off over time.
My question is, does this philosophy fit the talent of our players? For example, does that philosophy make Zeke an overpaid commodity this team doesn’t need.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The late great Notre Dame football coach Knute Rockne once famously said, “I don’t play my 11 best players- I play my best 11.”

I want to ask a serious question- What is this team built to be? Or what is this team trying to become? Honestly, I’m not at all sure.

Answering that question 4 years ago was not that difficult. In 2016, this team was built around a top OL and running game, built to impose its will on opponents by controlling the clock and wearing people out. The defense had the traditional “bend but don’t break” philosophy, taking few chances, while keeping everything in front of them.

Now? I’m not sure when I watch the 2020 version of the Dallas Cowboys what it is built to be. It seems like a bunch of players without a vision.

One way this franchise could get back to its glory days (even if we’re stuck with the Jones FO) is to have a simple and clear vision of what it is trying to be. Then draft and sign players that align with it. In other words, build a team that knows how to play together.

But unfortunately, the Jones boys have a bad habit of running this team like a fantasy football owner. Just draft some talented guys, especially flashy ones that sell jerseys and tickets, and see what happens.
Here are some steps this FO that can do to help turn this thing around:
  • Make a commitment to a vision of what you want to be as a team. A team is built, it is not just thrown together. All the great Cowboys teams of the past were built with a blueprint in mind.
  • Stop loading cap space with position players that are traditionally easier to find similar talent at a cheaper price. Like don’t sign Amari Cooper for big bucks. Having him right now is not the key to getting better. I know that’s not a popular opinion around here, but we could be 2-3 right now without Amari Cooper’s $20 mil a year salary.
  • Stop using high draft picks on guys with health risks or off field problems. Stop drafting guys in the first two rounds who have injury problems or behavioral issues! Jaylon Smith and LVE are very talented players but both had injury risks when drafted. Randy Gregory. Nuff said. Trysten Hill may eventually work out, but what an unnecessary risk in round two. Even before his injury, he’s been meh at best. These kinds of risky draft moves are stupid and they kill your chance to get better.
  • Talk less. Yes, no front office talks as much as these clowns in Jones costumes. Radio talk shows (2 per week), TV shows (1 per week) and any other time a camera or notepad appears, these guys start jabbering. Just shut up and work. This is the laziest front office in football. Work hard. Keep your mouth shut. That should be in granite on the walls at the Star.
If we are ever going to return to glory as team, it starts with a vision for the kind of team we want to be. Top to bottom. Then build it and shut up while you’re doing it. You can crow all you want while hoisting a Lombardi. There’s nothing quite like a bunch of rich guys with lifetime contracts with all the time in the world to be on radio or TV.

In other words- To the Jones FO: Stop playing fantasy football and get to work.

Great post Hazey. 25 years and still no div playoff win later says the Jones boys are simply incapable of building a team capable of a deep playoff run. There's so many things on the list to fix and do different but high on my list is to stop hiring and enabling coaches (head coach and assistant coaches) with zero experience and giving them a blank check on accountability. Garrett wasted 10 years here as he learned on the job and Kellen "The Hammer" Moore is the latest example of this. While we could have hired a real offensive coordinator, a real offensive coordinator with experience and skins on the wall, we are stuck with Moore who has proved nothing other than being yet another entitled ex-player who Jerry has adopted to be his next "chosen one". Moore will be the next Dallas head coach.

I am also sick of seeing the pattern of players getting their big payday here and then their production and effort plummets (Zeke, DLaw, J Smith). The challenges for our players and coaches in this flawed Jones system is such an uphill battle with so many obstacles in place to actually winning. There is hope but it remains a dim flicker of light where everything has to go our way to win. The referees, schedule, NFL conspiracies against us, etc are not the reason we haven't won anything in 25 years, it's the only constant over that period: the fingerprints of the Jones boys and their inability to learn anything about football. Jerry is so gifted as a business man and salesman that that is the extent of his talents and there is no room for being a gifted football architect like Jimmy was. But we will still use the only thing us fans have left which is hope. But the great Dan McDowell (The Ticket Dallas Radio) has said many times about our franchise, "hope is not a strategy".

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The late great Notre Dame football coach Knute Rockne once famously said, “I don’t play my 11 best players- I play my best 11.”

I want to ask a serious question- What is this team built to be? Or what is this team trying to become? Honestly, I’m not at all sure.

Answering that question 4 years ago was not that difficult. In 2016, this team was built around a top OL and running game, built to impose its will on opponents by controlling the clock and wearing people out. The defense had the traditional “bend but don’t break” philosophy, taking few chances, while keeping everything in front of them.

Now? I’m not sure when I watch the 2020 version of the Dallas Cowboys what it is built to be. It seems like a bunch of players without a vision.

One way this franchise could get back to its glory days (even if we’re stuck with the Jones FO) is to have a simple and clear vision of what it is trying to be. Then draft and sign players that align with it. In other words, build a team that knows how to play together.

But unfortunately, the Jones boys have a bad habit of running this team like a fantasy football owner. Just draft some talented guys, especially flashy ones that sell jerseys and tickets, and see what happens.
  • Make a commitment to a vision of what you want to be as a team. A team is built, it is not just thrown together. All the great Cowboys teams of the past were built with a blueprint in mind.
  • Stop loading cap space with position players that are traditionally easier to find similar talent at a cheaper price. Like don’t sign Amari Cooper for big bucks. Having him right now is not the key to getting better. I know that’s not a popular opinion around here, but we could be 2-3 right now without Amari Cooper’s $20 mil a year salary.
  • Stop using high draft picks on guys with health risks or off field problems. Stop drafting guys in the first two rounds who have injury problems or behavioral issues! Jaylon Smith and LVE are very talented players but both had injury risks when drafted. Randy Gregory. Nuff said. Trysten Hill may eventually work out, but what an unnecessary risk in round two. Even before his injury, he’s been meh at best. These kinds of risky draft moves are stupid and they kill your chance to get better.
  • Talk less. Yes, no front office talks as much as these clowns in Jones costumes. Radio talk shows (2 per week), TV shows (1 per week) and any other time a camera or notepad appears, these guys start jabbering. Just shut up and work. This is the laziest front office in football. Work hard. Keep your mouth shut. That should be in granite on the walls at the Star.
If we are ever going to return to glory as team, it starts with a vision for the kind of team we want to be. Top to bottom. Then build it and shut up while you’re doing it. You can crow all you want while hoisting a Lombardi. There’s nothing quite like a bunch of rich guys with lifetime contracts with all the time in the world to be on radio or TV.

Point no. 3 is the key, and the biggest reason this team hasn't had greater success. When the team has a really glaring need, like DT this year, they pick up two guys that are both past their prime and had health issues. So one gets hurt the first day of practice and the other can no longer get the job done. Need a great linebacker? Take a guy that you KNOW won't play for at least a year, and likely will take another year to get back to his prime, if he can even do that, and another one with known neck issues. Need a safety? Get a guy who's never been more than a bit above average, and find out after he gets here he can't even stick on this poor defense.

Problem is JJ got great success out of the Haley pick, so now he thinks he can do that whenever he wants, but that's not realistic.

As to points 1, 2 and 4:

IF the Cowboys have a vision, we wouldn't necessarily be told what that is, I think they have a vision but can't execute it. Could be the wrong vision, too.

Every team pays some players big bucks on position players, JJ does that a bit too much but I'm not sure that has a big part in the past 26 years. A few less wouldn't hurt, though.

Talk, as they say, is cheap. Jerry really doesn't say all that much, though he talks a ton. Most of what he says is just mindless blather, even when he says stuff like "Dak's our guy", you know that could change, much as he loved Romo when Dak did well in 2016, it's "adios Tony". Meaning he's in the moment, not sure it really means a lot.

Fix no. 3 and I think the other 3 won't be that much of an issue. But no. 3 is Jerry, very much doubt that's going to change....

blueblood70

Reaction score
The vision was fine at the beginning of the year. Losing your two top tackles on the OL and your best 3T on defense hurts your battle on the line of scrimmage.

The philosophy was actually sound going into the year trying to copy the chiefs.

1) Have a dynamic offense that can kill you in multiple ways - check

2) Have athletic players on the defensive end - Tank, Jaylon, LVE and Aldon at least have athleticism on their resume - check

3) Employ an aggressive defensive scheme designed to maximize number of possessions - either get turnovers, sacks or die quickly. Don’t do the bend but don’t break while time bleeds.

The goal when you think you’re the most talented is like basketball up the number of possessions and trust over the length of the game that talent will win out.

The problem is that aggressive scheme causing turnovers only works when you have enough time to practice it. Think about Steve Spagnuolo/Jimmy Johnson’s Chiefs/Giants/Eagles defenses. They always had guys running free in secondary. The bet was you’d get them before they saw the open guy.

When you don’t have time to practice that and you lose 5 starters on defense then the scheme won’t work. On draft weekend the plan was sound. Everyone thought they’d at least get some minicamps or OTAs in June/July.

I can’t fault the FO for trying to maximize the talent instead of going into a shell like we saw last 6 years.
I agree hard to carry out vison with the off season, Injuries list of key players shocking, and instilling a new scheme..

the new staff will take more then 1 game , 4 games, 5 game s etc etc to convert a team ran by JG for 10years and get going toward a new vison..

im sorry but fans expectations were so far off its led to insane posts , its freaking brand new staff in crazy offseason and now season full of change on fly with injuries, no way to get traction on a new vision. will take few seasons ..Jimmys vision took 2-4 years but MM and Nolan got all of one game and the busts and firing narratives all came out.

FANS ARE THE ISSUE, FANS EXPECTATIONS ARE AN ISSUE, IM BETTING THEY HAVE VISION AND NEED A REALSITIC TIME FRAME TO IMPLEMENT IT..THE FANS WHO FEEL THIS WAS ALL A MISTAKE , THIS IS YOUR OWN ISSUES , NOT THE TEAMS ISSUES..

they have to PURGE this team and detox the old regimes imprint left here ..take more then one draft and off season to do so

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I have to go back to this draft, however. I, and others, who weren't all that thrilled with the Lamb pick were roundly ridiculed for saying so, the whole "you draft bpa", "our offense will be unstoppable", "you can't pass up that talent" and "Amari's a bust, need a better receivier".

So now we have a defense like a wet paper bag. Cee Dee's done great, no doubt, but a first round defensive pick would have served this team better...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have to go back to this draft, however. I, and others, who weren't all that thrilled with the Lamb pick were roundly ridiculed for saying so, the whole "you draft bpa", "our offense will be unstoppable", "you can't pass up that talent" and "Amari's a bust, need a better receivier".

So now we have a defense like a wet paper bag. Cee Dee's done great, no doubt, but a first round defensive pick would have served this team better...
nopt relaive the only other choice we had at that pick was the LSU DE and instead we brought in Aldon SDmith, Griffen, <]McCoy and Poe, they tried and im bettign lamb uis bigger contributor then that LSU DE would have been , Gregory will also be coming back so its moot argument and they did enough at DE to offset the Lamb pick..

I see your point but its not really relative to what our other pick would have been on the board..

i took a look and on team lie the Jags who needed a DE as they traded all their best ones , left Chiasson a golden opportunity to shine..hmm look down, look like taco Charton so far? that would have been the better choice? it was what was the choice left on the board at 17..they took Diggs next look's like growing pains but is starting at CB as rookie..but he looks solid to me.

who would you have taken in that spot given the choices left ? hindsight is special kind of talent but curious who would have made this defense this year not wet paper bag in the draft at 17?

K'LAVONCHAISSON
i

• HT/WT
    6' 3", 254 lbs
  • DOB
    7/25/1999 (21)
  • COLLEGE
    LSU
  • DRAFT INFO
    2020: Rd 1, Pk 20 (JAX)
  • STATUS
    Active
2020 SEASON STATS
  • SOLO
    150+
  • SACK
    Tied-112th
  • FF
    Tied-100th
  • INT

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Jerry is enamored with toys. Who wants to waste a good pick on a boring old safety?

Amari disappears too often to pay him $100 million. Paying a RB big money is almost always a bad idea, and DLaw told me all I needed to know when he used surgery as a negotiating tactic. It's a selfish move and he hasn't been the same player since. I would've dragged out the negotiations then called his bluff - make him a FA in mid-July while still in need of surgery.

But Jerry and Stephen like their guys so they've made it a habit of keeping the band together. That's fine when the band actually has some hit records, like the 90s, but it's been a questionable tactic this century. It's assured them that good, not great, players can keep you feeling like you're in contention even though they've never shown they can make a serious run to a SB. It's as if they think these players will improve if they get paid.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Great post. Its neither your first nor last.

Nice work.

I agree with what you're saying. If you take franchises like Pittsburgh and Baltimore, they have a certain philosophy, and they bring in players that fit the scheme. Theres a culture of expecting to play and conduct yourself a certain way or you're gone. There no nonsense and you certainly dont see the Rooneys conducting weekly radio shows discussing the team.

In Dallas, everything is reactionary. DT is a problem this year so they will try to plug that hole this offseason....meanwhile another hole pops up, and etc, etc...

They NEVER bring in second contract premium players. Literally never. Last one was Carr in 2012.

They choose to pay their own because they want to tell themselves how well they draft.

They overvalue talent based on Jerry's personal relationships with players all too often.

Theres so many layers to the dysfunction that it could be debated forever.....and I'm not sure Jerry doesnt like that.

He just wants to be a celebrity. His ego loves the attention.

I still dont know how someone could be so bad at something yet still command the attention he does.

But....I DO see your point, completely agree, and dont expect that the Cowboys will ever establish, much less maintain....that certain culture you're referring to.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry is enamored with toys. Who wants to waste a good pick on a boring old safety?

Amari disappears too often to pay him $100 million. Paying a RB big money is almost always a bad idea, and DLaw told me all I needed to know when he used surgery as a negotiating tactic. It's a selfish move and he hasn't been the same player since. I would've dragged out the negotiations then called his bluff - make him a FA in mid-July while still in need of surgery.

But Jerry and Stephen like their guys so they've made it a habit of keeping the band together. That's fine when the band actually has some hit records, like the 90s, but it's been a questionable tactic this century. It's assured them that good, not great, players can keep you feeling like you're in contention even though they've never shown they can make a serious run to a SB. It's as if they think these players will improve if they get paid.
I wanted that money spent on defense in the worst kind of way.

Only reason I dont keep saying it is because we couldnt have known how the draft went the way it did.

Anyone who watches Dallas games and thinks that Cooper isnt the 3rd best WR on this team isnt paying attention.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree hard to carry out vison with the off season, Injuries list of key players shocking, and instilling a new scheme..

the new staff will take more then 1 game , 4 games, 5 game s etc etc to convert a team ran by JG for 10years and get going toward a new vison..

im sorry but fans expectations were so far off its led to insane posts , its freaking brand new staff in crazy offseason and now season full of change on fly with injuries, no way to get traction on a new vision. will take few seasons ..Jimmys vision took 2-4 years but MM and Nolan got all of one game and the busts and firing narratives all came out.

FANS ARE THE ISSUE, FANS EXPECTATIONS ARE AN ISSUE, IM BETTING THEY HAVE VISION AND NEED A REALSITIC TIME FRAME TO IMPLEMENT IT..THE FANS WHO FEEL THIS WAS ALL A MISTAKE , THIS IS YOUR OWN ISSUES , NOT THE TEAMS ISSUES..

they have to PURGE this team and detox the old regimes imprint left here ..take more then one draft and off season to do so
It's tough to trust the brain trust around here....or that the real problem is gone.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post. Its neither your first nor last.

Nice work.

I agree with what you're saying. If you take franchises like Pittsburgh and Baltimore, they have a certain philosophy, and they bring in players that fit the scheme. Theres a culture of expecting to play and conduct yourself a certain way or you're gone. There no nonsense and you certainly dont see the Rooneys conducting weekly radio shows discussing the team.

In Dallas, everything is reactionary. DT is a problem this year so they will try to plug that hole this offseason....meanwhile another hole pops up, and etc, etc...

They NEVER bring in second contract premium players. Literally never. Last one was Carr in 2012.

They choose to pay their own because they want to tell themselves how well they draft.

They overvalue talent based on Jerry's personal relationships with players all too often.

Theres so many layers to the dysfunction that it could be debated forever.....and I'm not sure Jerry doesnt like that.

He just wants to be a celebrity. His ego loves the attention.

I still dont know how someone could be so bad at something yet still command the attention he does.

But....I DO see your point, completely agree, and dont expect that the Cowboys will ever establish, much less maintain....that certain culture you're referring to.
Excellent post! Pitt and Balt are great examples of teams that have a proactive vision. The Jones FO is always trying to plug holes instead of building with a vision.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

“Fans are the issue...” LOL. Like we as fans are the only thing standing in the way of success for this team? That’s like saying customers of the restaurant are the reason its food tastes bad. It can’t be the chef.

To your question, “Who would you have taken” in the 2020 draft...? Well first of all, this post isn’t about who they drafted this year. It’s about having a clear vision for team building. If you’re making this exclusively about this year’s draft, I would welcome seeing your analysis in a different thread. At the moment I am not interested in analyzing this year’s draft 5 games into the season.

And if you like the direction of this team, that’s fine. I’m not here to change your mind about how you feel about how this team is being built. If you’re happy with it, cool.

blueblood70

Reaction score
“Fans are the issue...” LOL. Like we as fans are the only thing standing in the way of success for this team. That’s like saying customers of the restaurant are the reason it’s food tastes bad. It can’t be the chef.

To your question, “Who would you have taken” in the 2020 draft...? Well first of all, this post isn’t about who they drafted this year. It’s about having a clear vision for team building. If you’re making this exclusively about this year’s draft, I would welcome seeing your analysis in a different thread. At the moment I am not interested in analyzing this year’s draft 5 games into the season.

And if you like the direction of this team, that’s fine. I’m not here to change your mind about how you feel about how this team is being built. If you’re happy with it, cool.

yes they are an issue ie their own expectations have them thinking nothings changed after judging the new staff after only really one game and its all started with the whining and crying week after week, day after day and hour after hour around here..

sorry man but yes OWN IT, Fans creating their own expectations and being disappointed in theres alone..

a relaist would see a new staff in the offseason was going to take more then one season to correct 10yrs of an imprint left by the old staff..

so yes Fans disappoint themselves with all world expectations..some of you have no vision that the problem, have some patience and lets see how Mm and staff adjust , draft, and build a new team and judge after. Most college coaches that are new to staff have to get there players recruited and in and takes 3-4 years to purge the old players and fully implement a plan for their schemes..

you cant build your vison without time to do so..

so yes fans were unrealistic and being overly harsh this season and it took one game.. so laughable and sad..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
JG was a vision/philosophy guy.

This stuff doesn't matter much to pro athletes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG was a vision/philosophy guy.

This stuff doesn't matter much to pro athletes.
It matters if you want to win. Pro athletes aren’t running the drafts and player acquisition. Front offices build teams. Players play. You have to have a vision or philosophy of what kind of team you want to be, otherwise it’s just fantasy football.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It matters if you want to win. Pro athletes aren’t running the drafts and player acquisition. Front offices build teams. Players play. You have to have a vision or philosophy of what kind of team you want to be, otherwise it’s just fantasy football.
Not really. Teams all want to do the same thing, and players are mostly interchangeable, outside of the "stars." You never pass on a "star" to get a system guy.

The only real nuance is man vs. zone DBs or power vs. zone OL. A WR is a WR, a RB is a RB, an Edge is an Edge, etc. etc.