Aaron Donald vs Larry Allen in his prime?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Tough, tough question.......

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...nU8nsQl-5e2EspuPOdpK1KydykNySvFNAwpUf4sJKsBJc

Mailbag: Aaron Donald vs. Larry Allen In His Prime?
Jul 08, 2022 at 09:00 AM

I love seeing some of the historic plays in Cowboys history you guys have been putting on the website, especially the one of Larry Allen's tackle to prevent the pick-six. I would love nothing more than to be able to see Allen in his prime go toe-to-toe with Aaron Donald of the Rams. Head-to-head, who do you think wins that battle? — RANDY CHILDS / NORTH GRAFTON, MA

Nick: Wow, that's a tough one. Especially tough because there's never a right answer there. Just like with any competition, they both would probably win at times in the game. But overall, I've got to go with Larry Allen, just because of his pure strength. Not saying Donald isn't strong and he's definitely quick, but Allen could certainly move for a big guy, too. I think Allen would be able to handle Donald most of the time, but it would be a fun matchup to watch.

RS12

Reaction score
Are we talking one on one drills like at the Senior Bowl? Game conditions? Zack Martin handled Donald in one on ones in Senior Bowl drills. Actual game is another story. Donald an all time great often times lines up in gaps and moves all over the line and wins on quickness. I doubt if you lined both up in their prime Donald would line up right directly in front of LA. LA would win the vast majority of those reps.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I would take Larry in that matchup because he is every bit as quick and fast as Donald but 50 pounds heavier and much stronger. Larry dominated a lot of guys with Donald's level of ability. Several of them are already in the Hall of Fame.. but can be found on the business end of a Larry Allen pancake..

HanD

Reaction score
i'm sure AD would win some or a few on quickness but beyond that LA had power and size over AD and was pretty quick himself.

i'd say run plays LA for sure and a few pass plays to AD.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This question disrespects Larry Allen. People that never saw him play need to shut up.

This happens a lot with folks of a younger generation attempting to compare players from bygone eras to current guys. It's natural to think that because "athletes get bigger, stronger, faster every year" that the current guys are the best. The only problem is that the biggest, fastest and strongest are almost never actually the best. And that goes for any era. Donald is not the biggest, strongest or fastest at his position.. but he is the best. People continually underrate the fact that it is what's inside a dude is what makes him great. Far more than his physical traits. Those don't hurt, but they simply do not tell the whole story.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This question disrespects Larry Allen. People that never saw him play need to shut up.
Larry Allen in my favorite Cowboys player ever and I don't see how this is considered disrespect at all.

I'd go out on a limb and say more people would have Donald as the best DT ever before they'd have Allen the best G ever.

They are both all times greats and it's actually more respectful to be compared to each other. Because the talent on both sides is recognized.

jnday

Reaction score
Allen would expose Donald’s smaller size and would wear him out over the course of a game. There are linemen in the league right now that handles Donald well and none of them come close to being as good as Allen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tough, tough question.......

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...nU8nsQl-5e2EspuPOdpK1KydykNySvFNAwpUf4sJKsBJc

Mailbag: Aaron Donald vs. Larry Allen In His Prime?
Jul 08, 2022 at 09:00 AM

I love seeing some of the historic plays in Cowboys history you guys have been putting on the website, especially the one of Larry Allen's tackle to prevent the pick-six. I would love nothing more than to be able to see Allen in his prime go toe-to-toe with Aaron Donald of the Rams. Head-to-head, who do you think wins that battle? — RANDY CHILDS / NORTH GRAFTON, MA

Nick: Wow, that's a tough one. Especially tough because there's never a right answer there. Just like with any competition, they both would probably win at times in the game. But overall, I've got to go with Larry Allen, just because of his pure strength. Not saying Donald isn't strong and he's definitely quick, but Allen could certainly move for a big guy, too. I think Allen would be able to handle Donald most of the time, but it would be a fun matchup to watch.
LA would drive him all the way to the sidelines.

They would move Donald to the other side...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Allen would expose Donald’s smaller size and would wear him out over the course of a game. There are linemen in the league right now that handles Donald well and none of them come close to being as good as Allen.
And I don't think anyone EVER got the best of Larry in his prime.

conner01

Reaction score
I think they would equally get the best of each other.

Both are all time greats.
I would feel sorry for the players around them
I wouldn’t want to get caught up in that battle for sure
Though Donald would get some wins I think Allen would get more
Allen played against some mighty good players and stopped them all day. But Donald is easily an all time great

starfan1

Reaction score
LA will win that match up but Donald will occasionally break through because he’s an all time great but Larry was agile for being the beast he was

we may not see another Larry Allen IMO but we will see another Donald

starfan1

Reaction score
I would feel sorry for the players around them
I wouldn’t want to get caught up in that battle for sure
Though Donald would get some wins I think Allen would get more
Allen played against some mighty good players and stopped them all day. But Donald is easily an all time great
Ya didn’t he frustrate the minister of defense a lot ?