about coaches going for the win instead of OT

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Vermeil with Larry johnson last week
gruden yesterday

How would you feel right now if I told you Bill was going to do the same?

I actually liked both calls before hand, maybe its bc im young and i gamble, and I always go for it on Madden.

But after the Skins first penalty, I was thinking Alsott could get you 1 yard, I liked that attitude Gruden and Vermeil had

TheHustler

Reaction score
Depends. On the road I would go for it. I believe home teams win OT a large percentage of the time. At home, I would go for the tie.

AtlCB

Reaction score
The Chefs and the Yuccanears were playing horribly on defense in those games. They would have had a 50% chance to win if they went for the tie (based on the results of the coin toss). They both had better than a 50% chance to make the 2 pt. conversion. Based on the percentages, they both made the correct decision.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
i think that if I were a coach, and you asked me if I would like to have the ball on the 2 for one play before the coin flip that starts overtime, I'd take it - win or lose. There's little difference gong for 2 to win before overtime starts in most cases.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I would say go for the tie.

But your basically at the mercy of a coin.

I can see you not going for it for the 2 point, bc its a tough range, probably too long for a run unless stupid Skins players get a penalty. And its crowded for a pass

But if were at the 1 with 10 seconds left down 17-20 I want to think we could get it.

But that also depends on the game to that point, and if I trust my D. I love this D but late game scenarios have been a problem

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
gruden yesterday

I actually liked both calls before hand, maybe its bc im young and i gamble, and I always go for it on Madden.

But after the Skins first penalty, I was thinking Alsott could get you 1 yard, I liked that attitude Gruden and Vermeil had

With Vermile I think he saw a Raiders defense that looked winded and took advantage of it by going for it

Gruden went for the extra point but when the skins jumped offsides and Tampa got the ball on the one I think he had to go for it with a back like Alsott. I think you have to look at the entire picture before you make the call but in both of those cases I think the coach made the right choice. Granted you fail and your second guessed all week long

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Gruden went for the extra point but when the skins jumped offsides and Tampa got the ball on the one I think he had to go for it with a back like Alsott.

Why didn't Gruden decide to go for it after the Skins' first penalty? I haven't seen him explain that one. When Washington got flagged for delay of game, the Bucs chose to take the penalty on the kickoff, then just tried to kick the extra point. It wasn't until the second penalty that the Bucs took the yardage and went for two.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
its a gutsy call. But it would really depend on the situation. But as one of my old coaches used to tell us,, if we can't get one yard when we want to,, we dont deserve to win anything. Its 3 feet,, don't seem like alot,, but man it can be as big as a mile sometimes. I would have been tempted to give caddy the ball, with alsott lead blocking,, or a play action bootleg, option pass. But that's just me,, took some guts to just line up man to man and say here we come, stop it if u can.

and the way this O line as played most of the year,, don't look for BP to make that call anytime soon.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
1st and 3 versus 1st and 1 - Might have been why we did it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Why didn't Gruden decide to go for it after the Skins' first penalty? I haven't seen him explain that one. When Washington got flagged for delay of game, the Bucs chose to take the penalty on the kickoff, then just tried to kick the extra point. It wasn't until the second penalty that the Bucs took the yardage and went for two.

Granted, I guess the longer he had to think about it the more inclinded he was to go for it. I will say Alstott from 1 yard out is better than 50/50

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
gruden yesterday

If I were a HC I wouldn't have a punter or place-kicker on the team, just a guy to kick off after we score TDs. I would always go for it on 4th down and never kick a FG but that's just me. I realize that that would never fly in the NFL but that is how I play, we never punt even on 4th & long inside our own 5. We almost always make it too.