Abraham Franchised Again

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
The Jets will franchise John Abraham for the second year in a row according to Vela's blog. Man he's gotta be steamin! Also some interesting comments on Fabini and Sowell.

Can't seem to copy and paste the article so I'll just post the link...

http://blog.theboys.com/

Eddie

Reaction score
That just puts the Jets another $8 mil in the hole.

I'd be expected a wholesale purge of Jets personnel.

Fabini could very well be a Cowboy soon. :laugh2:

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Personally I think it would be a loss of moral for that team if another player "jetted" the Jets to follow Parcells again, espcially a player of Abrahams stature. What's that say about the Jets in general and the direction they're headed? I would not be surprised if this is partially what they're thinking by slapping that tag on him the last two years in a row. They just can't risk it with seemingly all team loyalty in Parcell's hands even though he hasn't coached there in half a decade.

I'm happy they're slapping him with it again. I have no doubt he'd be on the first plane to Dallas otherwise, and personally I don't want him here. An aging, injury-plagued, high-price player is absolutely what we do not need. Especially another one of Bill's ex's who would undoubtedly come right in and take playing time from one of our younger players. We're not talking WR where the youth option just isn't there for us, it's there on D though and I want to use it.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Aren't they like 20 mill over the cap. The ball is in Abraham's court not New Yorks. All he has to do is have is agent refuse to agree to any long term deals with other teams. The Jets will have to remove the frachise tag sooner or later.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
austintodallas said:
The Jets will franchise John Abraham for the second year in a row according to Vela's blog. Man he's gotta be steamin! Also some interesting comments on Fabini and Sowell.

Can't seem to copy and paste the article so I'll just post the link...

http://blog.theboys.com/

I understand that he would be upset that he couldn't even see what the open market offered him, but by franchising him they are required to pay him the average of the top 5 defensive ends in the game. Given his injury history, I don't know how many teams would have offered him a salary equal to the average of the top 5. That is a lot of money to be "steamed" about, and he doesn't have to go somewhere else and prove that he was worth the big money the other team spent on him.

Easy for me to say, but I think he ought to be happy with what he's got.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Keep the cap, continue to share revenue, but get rid of these tags! At the very least there should be a minimum number of times you can tag the same player.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Diehardcowboy said:
Since they franchised him last year, doesn't he get 120% of the top five average?

I think the rule is he gets either a 20% raise from last year's salary.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Keep the cap, continue to share revenue, but get rid of these tags! At the very least there should be a minimum number of times you can tag the same player.
I completely agree as it is very unfair to the players who want to get a good contract and secure their future for many years to come.

Eskimo

Reaction score
chinch said:
good news, i'd rather steal pennington and sit him out a year

I think Pennington's arm is being held on his body by a wad of bubblegum now. The chances that he recovers and is able to implement the type of downfield passing game BP prefers is very unlikely.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
I completely agree as it is very unfair to the players who want to get a good contract and secure their future for many years to come.

Actually that is wrong. It is advantageous to both the player and team to work out a long term deal. Take for example a player who is franchised at a cost of 7 million to the team.

That 7 million is going to be paid to the player for 1 year. But that deal costs the team far more in cap money than would a long term deal - if that same player signed for 5 years at 45 million -- with say 14 million of that in SB, the team actually ends up in FAR better cap shape.

The tag motivates teams to make a long term deal -- they use it as a last resort - doesn't hurt the players as much as it hurts the team.

ghst187

Reaction score
why do the Jets refuse to cut ties with Abraham when A) the Jets can't afford waterboys this season and Abraham has a monster salary with a franchise tag B) he quit on the team in the PLAYOFFS
If we were talking about a QB like Tom Brady or P Manning maybe I could see reasons to keep a guy, but Abraham is just a DE.

Eskimo

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
why do the Jets refuse to cut ties with Abraham when A) the Jets can't afford waterboys this season and Abraham has a monster salary with a franchise tag B) he quit on the team in the PLAYOFFS
If we were talking about a QB like Tom Brady or P Manning maybe I could see reasons to keep a guy, but Abraham is just a DE.

Ultimately, this has to be a ploy to induce a sign-and-trade type deal for a QB - the perfect scenario for the Jets was the proposed move for Rivers because Rivers' salaries are still small and the Chargers would be on the hook for the signing bonus on their cap.

david_jackson

Reaction score
Abraham should just sign the offer....the Jets have then guaranteeed the contract for the year and anyone who trades for him would have to absorb the real salary onto this years salary cap. Eventually the Jets would be forced to budge and let him seek a trade on his terms...where he negotiates. I think the Jet don't believe he will sign early, so they could withdraw later. He should just do a Woodson.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Abraham will be dealt. He won't be wearing a Jets uniform next year. Some time will ante up a 1st for him; no one will give them the standard two first round picks for a franchised player but the Jets know that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Denver sends the Skins pick for him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Avery said:
Abraham will be dealt. He won't be wearing a Jets uniform next year. Some time will ante up a 1st for him; no one will give them the standard two first round picks for a franchised player but the Jets know that.

The only problem is Denver is up pretty hard against the cap themselves.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Avery said:

Why would they do that? They have Ekuban.