Abraham now unsure whether he will play

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Jets defensive end John Abraham is unsure whether he will play in the wild-card game against San Diego on Saturday because of his sprained right knee.

Coach Herman Edwards said two days ago the Pro Bowl player would go against the Chargers. But Abraham was limited in practice Wednesday and said afterward he wanted to wait and see how he felt Thursday before making a decision. He is listed as probable on the injury report.

Abraham has missed the last month with a sprained lateral collateral ligament.

"I have to weigh my options," Abraham said. "I don't want to put myself in a situation where I'm going to need surgery if I go out there and get hurt again. It's different when you put pads on. Right now I'm just trying to go through the motions."

Abraham is in a tough spot because of his contract situation. He can become a free agent in March if the Jets elect not to franchise him. If Abraham gets hurt again, it would damage his status.

"I want to be here for my team, but I'm in a catch-22 situation," Abraham said. "Either way whatever I do is going to factor in my life whether we move on or we lose. If I feel like I'm at the percentage I think I can play at, I'll play. If I don't, then I can't."

Abraham said he will play if he is at 80 percent or better. Edwards said Abraham moved around decently at practice, but conceded the decision is up to Abraham.

"The player always has to protect himself," Edwards said. "You don't really have a lot of options."