Abraham to Skins?

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Commanders | Potential landing spot for Abraham?
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:06:25 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Jets have talked with the Washington Commanders about a potential trade involving DE John Abraham, the Jets' franchise player.

Could this be Ramsey?

AtlCB

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Jets have talked with the Washington Commanders about a potential trade involving DE John Abraham, the Jets' franchise player.

Could this be Ramsey?
I would guess that it would be Ramsey, Arrington, and a draft pick.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:

Could this be Ramsey?

I think you have that right.

WFAN has been talking about this for a week and on Saturday reported that a trade is "imminent"

hockix

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I think you have that right.

WFAN has been talking about this for a week and on Saturday reported that a trade is "imminent"

They are already way over the cap.
How could they pay Abraham???

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:

Could this be Ramsey?

They'd have to give up more than Ramsey.

And they would have to shave quite a bit off of their cap to afford his salary.

I don't see it happening.

sago1

Reaction score
How can the Skins afford Abraham given their cap problem? If the CBA doesn't get done, they will be $20M over the cap & no cuts have been announced. Understand they must be under the cap by March 3, but will have 7 days after that to make adjustments. If they can't get it down, I though NFL will step in and void latest signed contracts until they get it done. Wouldn't that include Abraham?

VirusX

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:

Could this be Ramsey?

Why dont we call the skins the Yankee's.. They have a Steinbrenner clone for an owner. To bad the NFL doesnt work like that YET. Tag should be canned if we end up becoming uncapped.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
sago1 said:
How can the Skins afford Abraham given their cap problem? If the CBA doesn't get done, they will be $20M over the cap & no cuts have been announced. Understand they must be under the cap by March 3, but will have 7 days after that to make adjustments. If they can't get it down, I though NFL will step in and void latest signed contracts until they get it done. Wouldn't that include Abraham?

Two things come to mind.

First, the Commanders would be committing highway robbery if they landed Abraham for just Ramsey. Ramsey is essentially a young backup quarterback at this point. Unless I'm mistaken, he's essentially lost the starting job each time he has gained it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Secondly, I think an NBA-type trade may have to be made here to make this arrangement work, where the salaries match and all. Ramsey is making peanuts compared to Abraham's would-be salary. I think, like a poster mentioned above, they might have to throw in an Arrington type (in other words, big salary likely to be cut) to effectively pull the trigger on this.

If they don't, then you'd think it'd just mean even more releases on their part.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
CBA looks like it is getting close.

NFL | League moving closer to a labor deal?
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:29:18 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the NFL appears on the verge of reaching agreement on a new labor pact with its players union. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Monday, Feb. 27, that progress has been made. An agreement reached this week would likely delay the start of the free-agent signing period, which is scheduled to begin Friday, March 3. Jones said negotiations between the league and the NFL Players Association could continue until Thursday, March 2.

Be a pretty good D if they could get it done.

Abraham
Griffin
Salava
Daniels

Arrington
Marshall
Washington

Springs
Rogers
Taylor

All the more reason to get the O Line right.

Reaction score
the jets really don't have a lot of cap room, either... that's why they made all those cuts and are looking to trade Abraham... they can't get Penny to redo his deal, they might have to cut him... if they do that, then Ramsey very well might be a starter for them...

that value of Abraham for Ramsey would a good fit... the Skins would have to do a lot of moving and shaking to make Abraham fit, but it could be done... the Jets would get a starter and some cap relief...

I don't think the Jets would necessarily look to add on more salary from Washington, in fact, they might not be able to with out making more cuts...

boysfanindc

Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
the jets really don't have a lot of cap room, either... that's why they made all those cuts and are looking to trade Abraham... they can't get Penny to redo his deal, they might have to cut him... if they do that, then Ramsey very well might be a starter for them...

that value of Abraham for Ramsey would a good fit... the Skins would have to do a lot of moving and shaking to make Abraham fit, but it could be done... the Jets would get a starter and some cap relief...

I don't think the Jets would necessarily look to add on more salary from Washington, in fact, they might not be able to with out making more cuts...

CBA could mean a lot more room:

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

INDIANAPOLIS --

“We have a pretty tight timeframe here with the [league] year,” Jones said.
If a deal is not reached, then 2007 will be an uncapped year and a potential lockout would loom following the 2008 season. Without a deal, the 2006 salary cap will be between $92 million and $95 million. With a deal, it could be between $102 million and $104 million.

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
CBA could mean a lot more room:

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

INDIANAPOLIS --

“We have a pretty tight timeframe here with the [league] year,” Jones said.
If a deal is not reached, then 2007 will be an uncapped year and a potential lockout would loom following the 2008 season. Without a deal, the 2006 salary cap will be between $92 million and $95 million. With a deal, it could be between $102 million and $104 million.

personally, I don't wanna see it that high, yet... that bails a lot of these teams who spent too much previously out...

boysfanindc

Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
personally, I don't wanna see it that high, yet... that bails a lot of these teams who spent too much previously out...

I guess they have to give the union something.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
I would guess that it would be Ramsey, Arrington, and a draft pick.

Isn't there a huge cap hit for trading Arrington?

Do the Skins have any picks left to trade?

Honestly, I'd think that the Jets would be more likely to send him to Denver for a late first.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Isn't there a huge cap hit for trading Arrington?

Do the Skins have any picks left to trade?

Honestly, I'd think that the Jets would be more likely to send him to Denver for a late first.

I guess it depends how much they think of Ramsey Vs who (QB) will be there in the draft late first round. If they think highly of Ramsey, at least he is a vet and maybe you don't tank the first year like you would with a rookie.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
I guess it depends how much they think of Ramsey Vs who (QB) will be there in the draft late first round. If they think highly of Ramsey, at least he is a vet and maybe you don't tank the first year like you would with a rookie.

The Jets are also rumored to be after the #1 overall pick b/c they want Leinhart. It'd make more sense to me that they do the Abraham deal for picks and then use those picks to get up to #1.

clayman

Reaction score
Losing Arrington via trade or cutting loses money for the Skins....he isn't going anywhere unless a new CBA occurs and they get a silly amount of compensation.