Abraham trying to return and QC with ailing mother

ravidubey

Reaction score
Looks like Quincy is being a drama-king again and Abraham is trying to get back. What's the deal criticizing Abraham when he's hurt?

Healthy Pennington Returns to Practice

By Eric Allen

A day after missing practice with flu-like symptoms, New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington returned to work Thursday.

“It was just a normal sickness, something that everyone deals with – not just me,” Pennington told reporters after the club’s workout. “It is winter time and the flu season. It was just a 24-hour virus and I feel fine now.”

Pennington was sent to the Trainers’ Room Wednesday by New York head coach Herman Edwards. The fifth-year signal caller felt sick during the team’s walk through and spent the rest of the afternoon inside.

“Although we are athletes and we perform and play, you still have to deal with everyday things,” he said. “Everyone gets sick and everyone has to deal with sicknesses.”

Fortunately for the Green & White, Pennington felt better this morning.

“I was just hoping I could get better,” Pennington said. “I was hoping that it just was one of those quick things, which it was. Other than that, you just hurry up and get fluids and get as much as rest as you can and concentrate on what you have to do.”

"He had a good practice today," added Edwards. "He threw the ball well and that’s a good sign."

There were no restraints placed upon Pennington as he was able to participate in all of his normal drills. After he finished his brief media session, he actually returned to the practice field to throw more balls.

“I went through the whole practice and everything,” Pennington said. “I’m fine. Everything is fine. It was just a normal sickness. It wasn’t anything that wasn’t routine or out of the ordinary.”

After a dramatic 20-17 OT victory in San Diego last weekend, the Jets will now face the 15-1 Steelers in Pittsburgh this Saturday. When the two clubs met in December, Pennington was victimized by three interceptions and led his club to only two field goals.

“It’s exciting because a lot of times you don’t get a second chance,” Pennington said. “You don’t get an opportunity to go back and play better and try to rectify the situation. I think our team is excited because we have a chance to go back and not only beat Pittsburgh, but bigger than that – be in the AFC Championship game and play for the Championship."

Despite saying he felt a bit awkward today, Pennington says his troops will be ready Saturday. The franchise passer is coming off a 279-yard, two touchdown performance in San Diego.

"I think our guys our focused," he said. "We have had a great week of practice and now we are just putting the finishing touches on our game plan and we’ll be ready to go.”

Brooks Bollinger, who played in the Green & White’s Week 12 win at Arizona, will backup Pennington in Pittsburgh. Quincy Carter has returned home and will not make the trip with his teammates.

"It’s a personal matter, and I really don’t get into that," Edwards said of Carter. "It’s family business, so I don’t know. You would have to ask Quincy when he comes back. I don’t want to speak on his behalf when it comes to family."

Edwards also said that it is unlikely DE John Abraham will suit up and play. The Jets were hoping to use the All-Pro in passing situations.

"He’s doing everything he can to try and come back and help us," Edwards said.

Injury Report
Jets
Out: QB Quincy Carter (personal)
Questionable: *DE John Abraham (knee)
Probable: LB Kenyatta Wright (foot)

Steelers
Questionable: LB Kendrell Bell (groin/flu)
Probable: *RB Jerome Bettis (ankle), *CB Ricardo Colclough (shoulder), *LB Clark Haggans (groin), *LB James Harrison (groin), *RB Verron Hayes (knee), *RB Duce Staley (hamstring) & *CB Deshea Townsend (Hand)
*Denotes players who practiced

jem88

Reaction score
I read that it had something to do with QC's mom being sick. If that's the case, then it hardly seems right to label him a drama queen.

ravidubey

Reaction score
jem88 said:
I read that it had something to do with QC's mom being sick. If that's the case, then it hardly seems right to label him a drama queen.

Would he have left if he were the starter? Maybe he has a legit reason, but with Quincy it's always something. I think he's played his last game as a Jet.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Would he have left if he were the starter? Maybe he has a legit reason, but with Quincy it's always something. I think he's played his last game as a Jet.
Hey maybe that means he'll be brought back to Dallas :banghead:

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
I think you give QC some slack until he gets back. Then you hammer him if it's a lousy excuse...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good grief...QC is not even on the team and you guys are roasting him. If all the reports are true, then he's down there taking care of his mom and his kids. Either way it's not our problem anymore...

Gaede

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Good grief...QC is not even on the team and you guys are roasting him. If all the reports are true, then he's down there taking care of his mom and his kids. Either way it's not our problem anymore...

some of you guys are ridiculous. He leaves town to take care of his MOTHER...

but then again, only losers abandon their sports teams when their mother's are sick

thewivil

Reaction score
He had to leave the team for personal matters, that doesn't mean he's AWOL.

Geez, people are always looking for ways to burn Quincy. :rolleyes:

ravidubey

Reaction score
thewivil said:

Because it's always something with this guy. I hope his mother's condition improves nonetheless, but Quincy has a job to do and the Jets' entire season could be on the line. If Pennington goes down, the Jets would be down to their 3rd string guy in the season's most important game.

It must be something very serious.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ravidubey said:
Because it's always something with this guy. I hope his mother's condition improves nonetheless, but Quincy has a job to do and the Jets' entire season could be on the line. If Pennington goes down, the Jets would be down to their 3rd string guy in the season's most important game.

It must be something very serious.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. God forbid someone in your family has a health problem and your employer won't let you go home to take care of it.

Add to the fact, he's the freaking BACKUP!!!!

jimmy40

Reaction score
thewivil said:

and Quincy was always looking for ways to burn.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. God forbid someone in your family has a health problem and your employer won't let you go home to take care of it.

Add to the fact, he's the freaking BACKUP!!!!

:clap2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Looks like Quincy is being a drama-king again and Abraham is trying to get back. What's the deal criticizing Abraham when he's hurt?

Healthy Pennington Returns to Practice

By Eric Allen

A day after missing practice with flu-like symptoms, New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington returned to work Thursday.

“It was just a normal sickness, something that everyone deals with – not just me,” Pennington told reporters after the club’s workout. “It is winter time and the flu season. It was just a 24-hour virus and I feel fine now.”

Pennington was sent to the Trainers’ Room Wednesday by New York head coach Herman Edwards. The fifth-year signal caller felt sick during the team’s walk through and spent the rest of the afternoon inside.

“Although we are athletes and we perform and play, you still have to deal with everyday things,” he said. “Everyone gets sick and everyone has to deal with sicknesses.”

Fortunately for the Green & White, Pennington felt better this morning.

“I was just hoping I could get better,” Pennington said. “I was hoping that it just was one of those quick things, which it was. Other than that, you just hurry up and get fluids and get as much as rest as you can and concentrate on what you have to do.”

"He had a good practice today," added Edwards. "He threw the ball well and that’s a good sign."

There were no restraints placed upon Pennington as he was able to participate in all of his normal drills. After he finished his brief media session, he actually returned to the practice field to throw more balls.

“I went through the whole practice and everything,” Pennington said. “I’m fine. Everything is fine. It was just a normal sickness. It wasn’t anything that wasn’t routine or out of the ordinary.”

After a dramatic 20-17 OT victory in San Diego last weekend, the Jets will now face the 15-1 Steelers in Pittsburgh this Saturday. When the two clubs met in December, Pennington was victimized by three interceptions and led his club to only two field goals.

“It’s exciting because a lot of times you don’t get a second chance,” Pennington said. “You don’t get an opportunity to go back and play better and try to rectify the situation. I think our team is excited because we have a chance to go back and not only beat Pittsburgh, but bigger than that – be in the AFC Championship game and play for the Championship."

Despite saying he felt a bit awkward today, Pennington says his troops will be ready Saturday. The franchise passer is coming off a 279-yard, two touchdown performance in San Diego.

"I think our guys our focused," he said. "We have had a great week of practice and now we are just putting the finishing touches on our game plan and we’ll be ready to go.”

Brooks Bollinger, who played in the Green & White’s Week 12 win at Arizona, will backup Pennington in Pittsburgh. Quincy Carter has returned home and will not make the trip with his teammates.

"It’s a personal matter, and I really don’t get into that," Edwards said of Carter. "It’s family business, so I don’t know. You would have to ask Quincy when he comes back. I don’t want to speak on his behalf when it comes to family."

Edwards also said that it is unlikely DE John Abraham will suit up and play. The Jets were hoping to use the All-Pro in passing situations.

"He’s doing everything he can to try and come back and help us," Edwards said.

Injury Report
Jets
Out: QB Quincy Carter (personal)
Questionable: *DE John Abraham (knee)
Probable: LB Kenyatta Wright (foot)

Steelers
Questionable: LB Kendrell Bell (groin/flu)
Probable: *RB Jerome Bettis (ankle), *CB Ricardo Colclough (shoulder), *LB Clark Haggans (groin), *LB James Harrison (groin), *RB Verron Hayes (knee), *RB Duce Staley (hamstring) & *CB Deshea Townsend (Hand)
*Denotes players who practiced
Bad article....every other one reported that he was home to be with his seriously ill mother, which is why they aren't sure when he'll return....I don't call that being a drama queen.

Mash

Reaction score
The title to this thread is the lowest I've seen on this board....I'm been here for awhile now and this one takes the cake as the most pathetic title and post.

If my mom was seriously ill....I would be by her side...day and nite....Like most of you....family is the #1 priority.

Screw work.....especially football.....Quincy is doing the right thing....and he is doing what any normal son would do. Football is just a game...family is life.

My prayers go out to Quincy mother and his family.....

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Go to the Jets site. Edwards says Carters mother is sick. Carter is where he should be.

Now Abraham on the other hand. Edwards was asked if it was a serious injury and he said that when he was a player he never missed a practice or a game.
He said that every player is different. He just sounded miffed.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ravidubey said:

Hating Quincy is one thing, it's a hobby that never seems to lose its fascination for some of y'all... but to label him a "drama king" because he went home to tend to his sick mother??

Man, that's just pathetic... and won't you feel like the cosmic idiot if the lady turns out to be TERMINALLY ill.. here's hoping that's not the case, but if it is, then yeah, I rather think that Quincy would still be with her even if he was the starter...

If his mother is really, seriously ill, then his place is near her... where would YOU be, if your mother was quite sick??

I know we're not supposed to flame in this board, but I simply have to note that your post disgusted me...

ravidubey

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Hating Quincy is one thing, it's a hobby that never seems to lose its fascination for some of y'all... but to label him a "drama king" because he went home to tend to his sick mother??

Man, that's just pathetic... and won't you feel like the cosmic idiot if the lady turns out to be TERMINALLY ill.. here's hoping that's not the case, but if it is, then yeah, I rather think that Quincy would still be with her even if he was the starter...

If his mother is really, seriously ill, then his place is near her... where would YOU be, if your mother was quite sick??

I know we're not supposed to flame in this board, but I simply have to note that your post disgusted me...

I deserved this for jumping the gun on Quincy. I hadn't realized how seriously ill his mother was and hope she recovers. I don't trust Quincy Carter as a leader, but it gives me no right to criticize him for doing what any rational human being would do in his stead. Prayers for the Carter family.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I deserved this for jumping the gun on Quincy. I hadn't realized how seriously ill his mother was and hope she recovers. I don't trust Quincy Carter as a leader, but it gives me no right to criticize him for doing what any rational human being would do in his stead. Prayers for the Carter family.
we all make mistakes.