According to Fisher, Carr be could signed to the Practice Squad

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the "coach on the field" thing and the "stashing a player" thing, but I really don't get the idea that someone like Terrence Steele or the 4th TE adds more to the roster.
He probably would not be active for several weeks anyway because he has not had any practice time in this scheme.

That would be an even bigger issue if they're really considering him at Safety.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't make sense to me. You're going to sign a veteran at the end to be your 5th corner? There are too many corners on short term deals already and I'd hate to see a young player cut for a guy at the end.
If Carr is really being signed to the practice squad, then he is not stopping anybody's progress or causing the team to lose any young players.

He was 16 games starter last season.

Carr has started every game since game #1 of his rookie season which was 2008.

If that type of player will sign for a low cost then it's great depth regardless of practice squad or 53 man roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Carr is really being signed to the practice squad, then he is not stopping anybody's progress or causing the team to lose any young players.

He was 16 games starter last season.

Carr has started every game since game #1 of his rookie season which was 2008.

If that type of player will sign for a low cost then it's great depth regardless of practice squad or 53 man roster.

I’m fine with him on the practice squad.

Dreski

Reaction score
I had posted this in another thread but I think the thread got deleted. But I feel like he was signed as basically a back up(cuz injuries happen) but they are keeping him on the practice squad, so we can keep one of our rookies on the team.

On top of the 4 practice squad players that we can choose not to be poached by another team, that’d give us another rookie that is safe from being poached(by being on the 53 man roster) while also having a veteran back up not taking up a roster spot

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Steele I can understand with Collins out. They must like McKeon enough to not want to expose him to waivers. Never saw that value in him as a prospect, but I also haven't seen him in camp either
They didn't want to expose Ben Dinucci to the waivers either. They must really be impressed with these young guys. Let's hope that pans out for the team someday.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
They're paying him 8 million for the season...

Whaaaaa?

If its truly 8 mil, I expect him to be staring at S very quickly. Like week 2.

To look on the bright side, Carr was a solid starter on a very good defense last year, and he would be replacing a guy that only started for us, on our meeehhh defense, when Jeff Heath went down - its an improvement.

Plus, in this new scheme, the Ss seem to be all hybrid CBs, with very little run support duties. He actually may be ok for us in that role, better than Thompson, for sure.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Whaaaaa?

If its truly 8 mil, I expect him to be staring at S very quickly. Like week 2.

To look on the bright side, Carr was a solid starter on a very good defense last year, and he would be replacing a guy that only started for us, on our meeehhh defense, when Jeff Heath went down - its an improvement.

Plus, in this new scheme, the Ss seem to be all hybrid CBs, with very little run support duties. He actually may be ok for us in that role, better than Thompson, for sure.

Totally agree, the league is way more of a passing league now so a veteran converted CB at the position is likely to be a good move. And on top of it he is a lock to be a leader for a young group of DBs that needs one.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I meant from a players perspective.

As a team, if you can sign guys, then sure.

I say that being fully unaware of the rules mind you.

A vet on a couch or a PS? The latter sounds better. In both cases, they can be called up to anyone's 53, but in the latter they're still training with a team and so more ready for the call.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I had posted this in another thread but I think the thread got deleted. But I feel like he was signed as basically a back up(cuz injuries happen) but they are keeping him on the practice squad, so we can keep one of our rookies on the team.

On top of the 4 practice squad players that we can choose not to be poached by another team, that’d give us another rookie that is safe from being poached(by being on the 53 man roster) while also having a veteran back up not taking up a roster spot

Veteran reserve players in case of injuries. Great opportunity this year, and I hope we use all 6 veteran spots that way.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
They're paying him 8 million for the season...

Where did you get that?

So we signed Carr to be a backup at 8 million. While we let Jeff Heath walk for 4 million to the Raiders.

Just doesn't make any sense.