According to this article Stephen pulled the plug on Manziel

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

4,849 Messages
    5,212 Likes Received
    I don't see that this has been posted yet, so here goes. If this article is accurate, Jerry was about to pull the trigger on bringing Johnny Football to Big D when his son, Stephen, vehemently insisted that he didn't. If true, that's very interesting for a number of reasons. The most obvious is that it's a case of Jerry listening to someone and not being so stubborn as to insist he's God's gift to football mastermining. It's also evidence that maybe Stephen will end up being a pretty good GM when Jerry either retires or dies. I think most of us here at CZ thought the choice of Martin over Manziel was the right one. There's some chance Manziel lives up to his hype, but I'd doubt it. I suspect he's the next Brady Quinn, not the next John Elway, but no one knows for sure.

Here's an excerpt and a link:
    full story:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...first-round-story-stephen?eadid=SOC/FB/SNMain

2. SDCowboy

SDCowboy Well-Known Member

23,004 Messages
    16,354 Likes Received
    It has. Two other times. lol

65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

58,640 Messages
    59,791 Likes Received
    Made up nonsense.

I don't doubt for a second Jerry Jones lusted after Manziel, but this theatrical description is more than a little dumb.

4. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    You guys will believe anything anybody writes or says about Jerry. And that really is ANYTHING.

5. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Well-Known Member

851 Messages
    392 Likes Received
    Can you blame them? Jerry is always into something. ANYTHING is possible and believable when Jerry Jones is involved.

6. WPBCowboysFan

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    Yea, I can blame them. Many believe stuff that even Ray Charles could see wasnt true.

7. manster4ever

manster4ever Well-Known Member

3,869 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    I don't care who pulled the plug...just glad they saved Jerrah from himself. JF isn't going to do squat in this league.

8. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

3,141 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    How many of these threads will be created?

9. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

8,725 Messages
    6,809 Likes Received
    as many as the number one is closed and moved to a rant zone - which no one looks at before positng

10. WPBCowboysFan

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    So what are you saying, nobody pays attention to the Rant Zone?

11. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

8,725 Messages
    6,809 Likes Received
    pretty much

WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

8,052 Messages
    5,098 Likes Received
    its interesting on many levels. I agree its a sign that Jerry is moving away from mantra that 'he knows better'. But at same time it brings us to more critical point....does Stephan know what he is doing outside of salary cap responsibilities? If Manziel turns into good pro QB then there will be increasing pressure for Stephan to hire GM once Jerry moves into more of an observer.

13. Reverend Conehead

4,849 Messages
    5,212 Likes Received
    Dudes, I don't come to CZ every day, so I'm sorry that I did not know this had already been posted. Move the thread to the rant board if you want or just delete it.

14. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

10,000 Messages
    5,593 Likes Received
    Don't sweat it, you had a greater than 90% chance of a crazy Jerry story being eventually borne out by the facts.

Reverend Conehead likes this.
  15. Reverend Conehead

4,849 Messages
    5,212 Likes Received
    Part of it is that I desperately want Stephen Jones to turn out to be way smarter than his father. I think many of us want that. Off the top of my head, I can't think of someone who was better than his father in the NFL, but I'm sure there's someone. Wade Phillips wasn't better than Bum. Both Peyton and Eli Manning have had more success than their father, Archie, but I strongly suspect that's simply because they've played on better teams. I suspect Archie Manning was every bit as talented as his sons, but he just played on awful teams. Brian Griese was definitely worse than his father, Bob.

But if anyone can think of a son who outdid his father in the NFL, please speak up. We Cowboy fans need to believe Stephen will be better than Jerry.