ADAM wasn't the CBA extension deadline in October?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Isn't the CBA extension deadline sometime in Oct to be able to keep 07 a capped year?

Why does an agreement have to be reached so early to keep 07 capped and is there anyway an extension reached after the deadline can keep 07 capped?

Lastly do you have any insight as to when or if we will have a CBA extension this season, considering the last owners meeting was cancelled (I think) due to owners being so far apart on a revenue sharing agreement to offer to the Players association?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Isn't the CBA extension deadline sometime in Oct to be able to keep 07 a capped year?

Why does an agreement have to be reached so early to keep 07 capped and is there anyway an extension reached after the deadline can keep 07 capped?

Lastly do you have any insight as to when or if we will have a CBA extension this season, considering the last owners meeting was cancelled (I think) due to owners being so far apart on a revenue sharing agreement to offer to the Players association?

There is no official deadline. The October "deadline" was Gene Upshaw's opinion that if it didn't get done at the owners meeting in October (Oct. 26-27), it would be too late. They need to get it done by the end of this season, though, since the 2006 season is uncapped. And once the players get to an uncapped season (and all of the "punishment" that comes with it, such as fewer players being eligible for free agency), it's going to be very difficult to convince them to go back to a cap -- at least until they get locked out.

VirusX

Reaction score
Oh good lord. The NFL will be like baseball.. Jerry better get deep pockets so we can buy all our SB's like the Yankee's... Lol

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
There is no official deadline. The October "deadline" was Gene Upshaw's opinion that if it didn't get done at the owners meeting in October (Oct. 26-27), it would be too late. They need to get it done by the end of this season, though, since the 2006 season is uncapped. And once the players get to an uncapped season (and all of the "punishment" that comes with it, such as fewer players being eligible for free agency), it's going to be very difficult to convince them to go back to a cap -- at least until they get locked out.

Thanks Adam

I thought 2006 season would still have a cap and 2007 be the first uncapped season. Not the first time I've been wrong and won't be the last...