Video: Adapt or die: How the Cowboys exposed the Saints' biggest weakness

HungryLion

Reaction score

Very interesting video that basically comes down to the fact that New Orleans has a big tendency to target either Michael Thomas or Alvin Kamara on 3rd down -- and when you take them out of 3rd down plays, you essentially end their drive.

Going forward they'll need to fix this, otherwise we may have given the league a blueprint for slowing down their offense.

I hear what you’re saying.

That being said, I don’t necessarily agree with any of the “blueprint” arguments.

1. It’s easier said than done to stop players like and Michael Thomas.

Shoot for over a decade, teams knew Romo was going to Jason’s witten on 3rd down. And it was still very tough to stop.

2. Blueprints only work if you have access to the supplies they call for. Meaning a defenses personnel matters. You can recognize the need to stop players like Kamara and Michael Thomas. But at the end of the day. You need the players that can cover and tackle them.

aria

Reaction score
When I saw “expose their biggest weakness” I fully expected to open this thread and see a picture of Eli Apple, not even joking,

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't agree
The saints biggest weakness is that their QB is short
You keep him in the pocket and clog up his lanes and be physical with their receivers to knock them off their routes
Of course stop the run game
That is how we beat them
I was thinking the same thing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I love when they "exposure" themes come out. All you have to do is stop Thomas and be Kamara on third down? Who would have ever guessed?

He went into detail of how Dallas went about it though.

Lewis on Kamara was the game changer.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Probably a reason why Payton got Dez before his unfortunate injury. He knew that he they needed another target downfield.

TheHerd

Reaction score

Oh I get that, but everyone knows how to stop any offense. It's whether your players kick azz on the day as well, and if you even have the guys to do it.

Aven8

Reaction score

I heard that Lewis only played 9 snaps in that game. And almost had two picks and the matchup on Kamara was genius. This defense is looking more and more like the Hawks defense in its heyday.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe it was an accident, but it looked to me as if we cut off Drew's passing lanes. One of the reasons tall QB's are preferred is that a shorter QB is going to have fewer passing lanes due to height restrictions. Makes what Wilson does even more impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roughneck266

Reaction score
People act like having two go to’s on 3rd down is a handicap. Most teams have one, or none. Stopping Thomas & Kamara is not easy to do.
I agree. I think he makes it sound much easier than it actually is. The Cowboys defense played a phenomenal game. As far as other teams, I am not as sure as he is that many others could have done it. I don't think the LB situation we have in particular is as easy to duplicate as he thinks, not to mention the secondary play we had that day.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Maybe it was an accident, but it looked to me as if we cut off Drew's passing lanes. One of the reasons tall QB's are preferred is that a shorter QB is going to have fewer passing lanes due to height restrictions. Makes what Wilson does even more impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, if I recall, the announcers even said as much during the game. Short QB's do not like pressure from the middle, for that very reason.