Add Gates to another Charger HOld out

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Chargers camp opens; Gates, Merriman absent=

NFL.com wire reports SAN DIEGO (July 29, 2005) -- All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates, who became a star in only his second NFL season, and top draft pick Shawne Merriman, who's supposed to add another element of nastiness to the defense, were no-shows for the San Diego Chargers' first full-squad practice of training camp.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, for one, understands why Gates is holding out for a big-money, long-term deal. He doesn't give Merriman the same benefit of the doubt.

"Antonio knows the offense. It's different between him and Shawne," Tomlinson said.

Gates didn't sign the contract the Chargers tendered him as an exclusive-rights free agent during the offseason, opting to hold out for a long-term deal the Chargers say they've been discussing since the middle of last season.

"He was here the whole offseason and they still didn't get a deal done," Tomlinson said. "The whole time he was working without a new deal. Obviously he had to resort to another tactic. Shawne's situation, he didn't show up for minicamp or anything."

Merriman, an outside linebacker drafted with the 12th pick overall, stayed away from all offseason workouts because of concerns he would get hurt before he signed a contract.

While Merriman can expect a big signing bonus once he agrees to a deal, Gates joined the Chargers in May 2003 as an undrafted rookie following a successful basketball career at Kent State and got a minimal bonus.

Last season, Gates had 13 touchdown catches to set the NFL single-season record for tight ends, breaking a mark shared by Mike Ditka, Wesley Walls, Todd Christensen and Jerry Smith. He was a big reason the Chargers went 12-4 and won the AFC West, with a team-high 81 catches for 964 yards.

"It's hard on people who don't get drafted," Tomlinson said. "They're obviously behind the 8-ball with guys who are drafted and they're looking for a fair deal. A lot of times guys tend to do whatever it takes to get a fair deal. Antonio's situation is no different."

Tomlinson entered the league as the No. 5 pick overall in the 2001 NFL Draft and held out for most of his rookie minicamp. In his first regular-season game, he rushed for 113 yards and two touchdowns.

Last summer, Tomlinson became the NFL's highest-paid running back when the Chargers gave him an eight-year deal.

Tomlinson said he spoke at length with Gates in the offseason about his situation.

"It's a tough decision because he loves football," Tomlinson said. "He wants to be here. It has to be real tough on him. He has to do what's the best thing for his family, but at the same time we would love to have Antonio here. I'm pretty sure he's going to get here as soon as he can."

Quarterback Drew Brees understands the business side of the NFL. He wanted the Chargers to commit to him as their QB of the future after his comeback season in 2004, but they stuck him with the "franchise" tag, which locks him up for this season only.

"I think he's got a good case," Brees said about Gates. "I'll just leave it at that."

General manager A.J. Smith offered few specifics on the talks with the agents for Gates and Merriman.

"We have open communication with both, so I've got nothing else to add," Smith said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I'll say it Merriman sucks he's risking his whole career for a few bucks. players who hold out start from behind and some never catch up and end up with short playing careers who get injured early on

parchy

Reaction score
I really hope Merriman understands what he's doing by holding out. When you see it from a 'normal' point of view (i.e. not from his POV), it really makes his hold out the dumbest thing he could possibly do.

jksmith269

Reaction score
parchy said:
I really hope Merriman understands what he's doing by holding out. When you see it from a 'normal' point of view (i.e. not from his POV), it really makes his hold out the dumbest thing he could possibly do.
You know if he'd attended minicamp even but he's not done anything with his team I doubt they have sent him a playbook yet so he is way behind and who knows how he's been working out if he has?

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I'll take anything that slows Merriman's development for week 1. Gates being a long holdout would be quite helpful too.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
I'll take anything that slows Merriman's development for week 1. Gates being a long holdout would be quite helpful too.
:hammer:

jksmith269

Reaction score
but at the same time I hate to see a player throw away something special because some dumb a is feeding you crap.... Like the postons do all their clients

JsnSA

Reaction score
Just wondering...but what DOES happen if a player gets hurt before he signs his contract?

Because if they dont get squat and just gets released...well then I can understand why Merriman would be afraid to even go to camp without the contract.

Lets face it...season ending camp injuries occur every year.

I know thats the kind of luck I would have...to get hurt before signing my contract and not get squat. I think I might want to do the same thing If I were him.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
JsnSA said:
Just wondering...but what DOES happen if a player gets hurt before he signs his contract?

Because if they dont get squat and just gets released...well then I can understand why Merriman would be afraid to even go to camp without the contract.

I know thats the kind of luck I would have...to get hurt before signing my contract and not get squat. I think I might want to do the same thing If I were him.

if he gets hurt he just might not get paid all the amount of money he would get paid if under contract, he still gets paid something i think, and then they might decide to lower his contract so then he would lose more money. But again mini camps are over, he needs to be on the field

jksmith269

Reaction score
JsnSA said:

the contract they sign during MC assures them the money that the previous years rookie at the same draft spot received as a mininium from what adamjt said a few months ago. if its career ending they have insurance for that but think about it if a player signs a contract and gets a career ending injury they lose all the money except the signing bonuses thats it.

JsnSA

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
the contract they sign during MC assures them the money that the previous years rookie at the same draft spot received as a mininium from what adamjt said a few months ago. if its career ending they have insurance for that but think about it if a player signs a contract and gets a career ending injury they lose all the money except the signing bonuses thats it.

I see. Well if thats the case then I agree the dude doesnt have much business holding out.

jksmith269

Reaction score
JsnSA said:
I see. Well if thats the case then I agree the dude doesnt have much business holding out.
I thought the same as you but adam set me straight about what a player is entitled to if he gets injured. and being in insurance a player should have DI insurance b4 stepping on the field IMO he Merriman could get 10mil in DI coverage and if he had a career ending injury and was out for a year he'd receive 10mil.

jcollins28

Reaction score
It would not be a NFL off season and t/c without at least 1 Charger holdout.

JDSmith

Reaction score
JsnSA said:

Also, just showing up doesn't mean he has to actually work out. He could have shown up and gone to meetings, met his fellow players and coaches and gotten his playbook while refusing workouts due to injury concerns. I'm sure if he did that everyone would have been much more understanding of his position. But he didn't even bother to show, as if he was afraid he'd trip and fall getting off the plane to SD.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:

Good insight.

Add to it a little tension with management of a few locker room leaders over the Gates situation and cook to a small boil.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Good insight.

Add to it a little tension with management of a few locker room leaders over the Gates situation and cook to a small boil.
Schottenheimer himself has been known to cause a little friction too.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Schottenheimer himself has been known to cause a little friction too.

Hey man I'm not picky, I'll grasp at any straw I see laying around in the name of a fast start.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Hey man I'm not picky, I'll grasp at any straw I see laying around in the name of a fast start.

Now that's what I like to see. Honest, unadalterated, statement of fact.

LOL....

I'm with you on this one.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
I'm with you on that. Call it the domino effect.