Admitted Zimmer Apologist

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Is it me or has Bill allowed Zim to talk this year? I'm reading lots of quotes from him on the official website ... and The Ticket was broadcasting sound bytes from him. My favorite quote is "you have to be a man to play in the 3-4" :flex: . I'm glad he recognizes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
Is it me or has Bill allowed Zim to talk this year? I'm reading lots of quotes from him on the official website ... and The Ticket was broadcasting sound bytes from him. My favorite quote is "you have to be a man to play in the 3-4" :flex: . I'm glad he recognizes.

He is the DC despite what some want to believe. I'll maintain if Bill did not have any faith in Zimmer he would not be here.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I heard him on the ESPN training camp show last night talking about the 34, and he basically said, "Good players can play either scheme and good coaches can coach either scheme." Said he'd immersed himself in this for five months now, and while he may not know every nuance, he feels good about having a solid grasp of it now and is comfortable coaching it.

For the record, I'm not really a Zimmer basher or apologist... I'm just glad he's not coaching the secondary any more. ;)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I heard him on the ESPN training camp show last night talking about the 34, and he basically said, "Good players can play either scheme and good coaches can coach either scheme." Said he'd immersed himself in this for five months now, and while he may not know every nuance, he feels good about having a solid grasp of it now and is comfortable coaching it.

For the record, I'm not really a Zimmer basher or apologist... I'm just glad he's not coaching the secondary any more. ;)

I have no problem with Zimmer coaching the secondary if he isnt doing double time with the whole defense.

Zimmer did a good job with the secondary when that was his sole responsibility.

In the league last year there was only one other DC who doubled as a position coach and that was the guy in Minny and his defense didnt do too well.

Now with Bowles able to concentrate on his guys and Zimmer able to focus on the overall it bodes much better for all involved: the coaches AND the players

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Do you think he was the one responsible for Deion's play? :)

Of course he was it was Zimmers scheme that set Deion free, everyone knows its alway the scheme. ;)

aikemirv

Reaction score
Zimmer does not teach his corners to play the ball- Deion came in playing the ball and nobody was messing with his style. I don't like Zimmer as a secondary coach at all!

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
SO blame Zimmer for any failures, but only credit players with success :laugh:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Zimmer does not teach his corners to play the ball- Deion came in playing the ball and nobody was messing with his style. I don't like Zimmer as a secondary coach at all!
Then how did we get those picks in the Super Bowl in 1995?

BP has tlaked this off-season alot about CBs having a nose for the ball and mentionned Aaron and Henry as having that in them. Some guys are too busy chasing cars to go get picks but guys like Derek Ross gettign 5 picks her eina short span show Zimmer has never not taught playing the ball.

aikemirv

Reaction score
jterrell said:

BP has tlaked this off-season alot about CBs having a nose for the ball and mentionned Aaron and Henry as having that in them. Some guys are too busy chasing cars to go get picks but guys like Derek Ross gettign 5 picks her eina short span show Zimmer has never not taught playing the ball.

You certainly are not talking about the picks that Larry Brown got in the SB - the gifts from Odonnell are you, because those really don't count for much in my book.for the last 10 years we have been looking at CB's that do not turn and look for the ball while it is in the air, period, with the one exception of Derek Ross, who by the way was called a "street Player" by BP.

Derek Ross came in as a rookie as a ball hawk, Zimmer did not teach him that. Sell that to somebody else!

blindzebra

Reaction score
jterrell said:

It's just like occupy and engage. We had to play run first because we were giving up 200 yard games left and right. Some would make you believe we were playing run first on every down, every distance.