Advanced analytics say we should not be worried about the Eagles D, but I still am

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Eagles have been the second worst defense in the league since week 4.

They're the 4th worst defense via EPA. (Commanders, Cardinals and Broncos are the only teams who are worse per EPA).

21st defense ranked DVOA.

They have given up the 9th most points in the league.

Their defense as a whole has given up 27 touchdowns and only has 6 interceptions (Which is a funny coincidence, Dak's stat line for the year is 26 TDs to 6 interceptions)

3rd Most passing yards given up. This one stick out because it isn't like they are blowing teams out and they're accumulating garbage yards. It is happening within the flow of the game.

This is a game the Cowboys SHOULD win, our defense just needs to play average and we should.
Every NFL game is tough if you don’t come to play.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Like playing the 9ers, it's going to all come down to scheme, in my opinion.

Here's an interesting stat for you. The Eagles are dead last when it comes to defense on 3rd downs. That's why they're in a hurry to add guys like Leonard.
That said, they're number 4 in rushing defense, so we probably ought not try to run on them too much.

On the flip side, in overall pass defense, they are number 29.

Total defense, they are at number 22.

So Dak should definitely be able to put a little something on them, especially with the right scheme.

We should know one thing this week: Sillydelphia will run early and often. I expect them to play-action pass, as well.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dallas will move the ball on Philly. I also think Philly is going to move the ball on us. It really is just going to come down to who makes the winning plays.

Last time, the Cowboys did not make those winning plays like the Schoon non-TD, Dak stepping out on the 2-pt conversion, failing to punch it in from the 6 yard line at the end of the game, etc.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Regular analytics do too. Philly is bottom 5 points and yards defensively vs the pass.
Do you remember Football Outsiders? In 2009, according to FO’s metrics, Philly was the vastly superior team according yet the Cowboys beat them three times. I guess that single anecdote is the source of my concern.

Creeper

Reaction score
It start with getting the Eagles DL blocked. The 49ers were successful. The Cowboys were not the last time they played and it cost them the game.

Then, you have to stop the Eagles offense. Again, the Cowboys were not successful in the 3rd quarter and the 49ers were after the 1st quarter.

This is a division game, a division rivalry. Throw away the stats.

Praxit

Reaction score
Doesn't mean they're not a good team.
Still got to bring your 'A"game

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you remember Football Outsiders? In 2009, according to FO’s metrics, Philly was the vastly superior team according yet the Cowboys beat them three times. I guess that single anecdote is the source of my concern.
This year, DVOA has Dallas significantly better than Philly.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Pre-snap motion, bunch formations and the quick passing game kills their D.

Dallas sticks to that script Philly will have a hard time stopping them.

Flamma

Reaction score

They're the 4th worst defense via EPA. (Commanders, Cardinals and Broncos are the only teams who are worse per EPA).

Their defense as a whole has given up 27 touchdowns and only has 6 interceptions (Which is a funny coincidence, Dak's stat line for the year is 26 TDs to 6 interceptions)

3rd Most passing yards given up. This one stick out because it isn't like they are blowing teams out and they're accumulating garbage yards. It is happening within the flow of the game.

This is a game the Cowboys SHOULD win, our defense just needs to play average and we should.
I'm worried about their D too. In our last game we had a 1st and goal from their 6 yard line. They did what they needed to do to stop us. That's why I'm worried.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have the talent to be much better when it matters. They seem to lack a DE and their LB & top DBs have been injured all year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Game will likely be closer than people think.

Also, if we keep bogging down in the RZ, then we will likely lose. McCarthy and company better have that crap figured out. Redzone failures cost us a W in Philly.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have Reddick on the edge and Sweat, both pretty to really good edge guys.

They abused Steele last game, especially Sweat.
I thought Reddick was a LB. Sweat is ok. The better Sweat is the guy Washington just traded to the Bears.

Dakota

Reaction score
Don't worry. There is nothing to be worried about. The eagles defense sucks. They can't cover, they can't tackle, their pass rush is declining and their run defense is now full of holes. Sit back in your lazy boy recliner, stuff your face with hot wings, pop open a few dozen cans of Natral Light, and enjoy the game. This game is already over. Enjot it!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
A lot more worried about their offense. Our defense hasn't done jack against good OLines.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I throw statistics out the window when it comes to division rivalry games. They hardly ever go as expected.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Their secondary has some good but vulnerable players (e.g. think Gilmore covering CeeDee Lamb), so Dak can't "give" them anything. As long as Dak, Pollard, Dowdle...etc...basically any ball carrier protects the ball, we should be fine moving the ball against their D.

Their D is opportunistic and Steele WILL whiff on a few blocks this week. If we can survive those near death moments, we should be fine.

To be honest, I'm worried about our D. Micah basically admitted that our game plans have been off as teams use this game to go off-script. Can't say I disagree, but that means we need to play a style where we can impose our will on the opposing team. I think having Micah rush as fast as he can every play is too easy to scheme up for other teams.