CFZ Adversity measures greatness

CCBoy

Reaction score
This team has lacked the same things for years despite different players and coaches.
Accountability, really...make them focus until the team produces a game changing play...period. No excuses with out being confronted.

You see, boss, they shot and killed two of my crew members...naw, not happening there.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Thus far if you are to measure greatness based on this units ability to handle adversity there’s no need for a 25’ tape, a 12’ tape measure, or even a yard stick. Best to get yourself a common 12” straight edge ruler and don't expect much of a measurement with that.

Good news is that there’s time to rewrite the script. Continually setting the bar lower and lower can make for a great story.

Pretty sure I’m just trying to sell that story to myself.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I just don't believe our guys have "mental toughness". I truly wished they did. But, I'm not seeing it. I would love nothing more than the boys to prove me wrong. But, as of now, it's not there.
This. If anyone watched the Ravens last night, that is an example of a very tough, mentally and physically well coached ball club. They hit the niners in the jaw (at home) last night on both sides of the ball. They won the trenches and kept smacking them around. Sadly, much like the niners did to us earlier this year. John Harbaugh always has tough D and O lines.
We don't have that makeup at all.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Discipline and execution
AWOL 28 years and counting
You absolutely have perspective there...just save money and don't draft or do training camps. Now THAT'S the ticket.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
You had great coaches and great orgs counting Jimmy as GM back then. We have neither of that anymore. Used to be an honor to wear the "STAR" now it's just another helmet..

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All five of the greatest Cowboys teams in team history had one of the most important qualities of a truly great team: The ability to learn from and overcome adversity. Every one of those teams that raised a Lombardi had to overcome some major disappointments and adversity. It was part of what made them great. Greatness finds a way to overcome adversity.

Here’s what those teams had to overcome:
  • 1971 team- the Cowboys of the mid to late 1960s had lost heartbreaking close conference championship games, and despite often being considered “the most talented“ team in the league, they had the reputation of choking in the biggest games. They had made it to a SB in 1970, only to have 4 turnovers in a 16-13 loss in SB V to a much less talented colts team. In 1971, the Cowboys started 4-3, then rolled off 10 straight wins to win SB VI.

• 1977 team- This team had acquired Heisman winner Tony Dorsett in the ‘77 draft and looked unbeatable. They had a dominating defense and the offense became great too with Dorsett behind Roger S. But in late Nov, the offense looked putrid in back to back losses to the cards and Steelers, scoring 30 points in two games. They went on tear after that winning 7 straight including a 27-10 whipping of Denver in SB12.

• 1992 team- the core of this team had suffered mightily in 1989-90, losing 24 of 32 games. Most of the players later talked about how much the adversity of those tough years made them hungry to get better. The team certainly got better talent-wise but they also worked hard and used their setbacks as motivation to get better. This core went on to win 3 of the nest 4 SBs.

• 1993 team- this team was highly favored going into ‘93 but they stumbled out of the gate while Emmitt S was in a holdout, losing first two. When Emmitt came back, they rattled off 7 straight wins. But in Nov, the offense went south for two straight weeks losing back to back games to the falcons and the dolphins, scoring 28 points combined in those losses.As They started Dec, they were 7-4. They won 8 straight including a dominant win over the bills in SB 28.

• 1995 team- this team still had a great core, but they had to overcome the drama of the fight between Jimmy and Jerry which resulted in Jimmy’s exit in Feb.of ‘94. His replacement, Barry Switzer was very lax in his control of the team. The ‘94 team had been disappointed by their NFC championship game loss to SF in which some questionable calls were made by the refs. During the ‘95 season, the team often struggled and lost back to back games in Dec scoring a combined 34 points in those games. The rattled off 5 straight wins including a SB 30 win over Pitts.
Bottom line: If you want to be great, you have to be more than talented. You have to be able to overcome all adversities, including bad officiating calls, bad luck, unlucky bounces, a starter being out, etc. Adversity measures greatness.
Bob...

has this team this year, last year, the year before...

Shown you any toughness?

When people claim "trouncing" a dysfunctional LOSER team in the 1st round of playoffs is a crowning lifetime achievement, you know we SUCK hard. Just not great at all. We beat losers, then got destroyed by winners.

Bottom line? Win. Have the mental toughness and discipline to play perfectly. You do not have to....but every play you do not...chips away at you greatness. How many plays do you let that happen?

We have to face the fact that we aren't great. We have shown it over and over and over. It doesn't matter what we fans think. But players, coaches, and execs.....are on full display.

We are not great nor do we want to be.

Mannix

Reaction score
All five of the greatest Cowboys teams in team history had one of the most important qualities of a truly great team: The ability to learn from and overcome adversity. Every one of those teams that raised a Lombardi had to overcome some major disappointments and adversity. It was part of what made them great. Greatness finds a way to overcome adversity.

Here’s what those teams had to overcome:
  • 1971 team- the Cowboys of the mid to late 1960s had lost heartbreaking close conference championship games, and despite often being considered “the most talented“ team in the league, they had the reputation of choking in the biggest games. They had made it to a SB in 1970, only to have 4 turnovers in a 16-13 loss in SB V to a much less talented colts team. In 1971, the Cowboys started 4-3, then rolled off 10 straight wins to win SB VI.

• 1977 team- This team had acquired Heisman winner Tony Dorsett in the ‘77 draft and looked unbeatable. They had a dominating defense and the offense became great too with Dorsett behind Roger S. But in late Nov, the offense looked putrid in back to back losses to the cards and Steelers, scoring 30 points in two games. They went on tear after that winning 7 straight including a 27-10 whipping of Denver in SB12.

• 1992 team- the core of this team had suffered mightily in 1989-90, losing 24 of 32 games. Most of the players later talked about how much the adversity of those tough years made them hungry to get better. The team certainly got better talent-wise but they also worked hard and used their setbacks as motivation to get better. This core went on to win 3 of the nest 4 SBs.

• 1993 team- this team was highly favored going into ‘93 but they stumbled out of the gate while Emmitt S was in a holdout, losing first two. When Emmitt came back, they rattled off 7 straight wins. But in Nov, the offense went south for two straight weeks losing back to back games to the falcons and the dolphins, scoring 28 points combined in those losses.As They started Dec, they were 7-4. They won 8 straight including a dominant win over the bills in SB 28.

• 1995 team- this team still had a great core, but they had to overcome the drama of the fight between Jimmy and Jerry which resulted in Jimmy’s exit in Feb.of ‘94. His replacement, Barry Switzer was very lax in his control of the team. The ‘94 team had been disappointed by their NFC championship game loss to SF in which some questionable calls were made by the refs. During the ‘95 season, the team often struggled and lost back to back games in Dec scoring a combined 34 points in those games. The rattled off 5 straight wins including a SB 30 win over Pitts.
We scored exactly 30 points in back to back losses too....but unlike the 77 team, we are gonna get bounced in the Wild Card game. It is a road game don't you know....so our HC and QB will not be overcoming any adversity....its in their DNA to fail when the lights are bright.

75boyz

Reaction score
We scored exactly 30 points in back to back losses too....but unlike the 77 team, we are gonna get bounced in the Wild Card game. It is a road game don't you know....so our HC and QB will not be overcoming any adversity....its in their DNA to fail when the lights are bright.
My beginning season opinion still stands.
Offensive playcalling and quarterback decisionmaking.
When you really break it down to the bare minimum requirements for this team to succeed this year, we are at the mercy of how this HC and QB perform their jobs in real time on game day..

Honorable mention goes to oline, defense and running game.
But this team's ultimate success rests on gameday decisions made by the playcaller HC and his QB.

jmo

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully this wasn’t meant to make comparisons of this team to our championship years ?

Probably more posturing to those who may not want to let go of the SB Hype or not ready to accept reality this era continues dishing out.
Greg I’m not comparing this team to any championship team until they do something. I was just pointing out that overcoming adversity is what every great team does. If this team wants to be great, they have to overcome a lot.

Will they? We will know in the next month.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
...yep, I just posted a post along this similar situations. They lack mental toughness. Is it players or coaching?
I think most teams could fit in the "they don't have mental toughness" category. Just the nature of the game today.