Advice on Buying a Car?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
2005 Forerunner SR5 2 wheel drive, base model with 3 options. The MRSP was 28,566 and the dealer invoice was 25, 546 at my dealership. I paid 750 below invoice with the rebate so I paid invoice for the car. After my trade in and the tag, title and tax, I walked out with 21,250. Not bad.

When I went through the non-internet way, the best deals I got were 23,000 and 22,500.

That's a sweet ride... congrats...

The car salesman HAS to hate the internet... :D

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
trickblue said:
That's a sweet ride... congrats...

The car salesman HAS to hate the internet... :D

Thanks man, yeah the internet sales guy said the car salesmen in the front were a dying breed because so many people have caught on to dealing with the internet fleet salesperson. And to be honest with you, if I didn't have a trade in, I would have just purchased the car from www.carsdirect.com. Their prices are even better.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Oh last thing I learned, I was kind of hostile toward my first dealers. No, I didn't say anything rude per say but I wasn't friendly and I was a little standoffish because I was told that's how you should act.

That didn't pay off. Car dealers are human too and if you piss them off they will let you walk (One dealer did and he never called or e-mailed me again). So today, I said everything I said to the last dealer in a joking and friendly way. It payed off. So i think it's possible to be direct and call people on their scams without being hostile or rude.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Congrats on the new car, it's much easier to joke around when you're prepared and they know it. I was going to add that the other mental tricks they try is with your credit report (Not that it mattered to you since you weren't financing with them), I've seen bosses show people's credit report to customers who weren't familar with the approval process/credit reports, etc. and all he had to do was point out late payments from 3-4 years ago, "Here's a 30 day late...another 30 day late...60 days here..." and by the time he's done the customer went from assured he would be approved to "oooh man, please - do I stand any chance of getting approved??? Help me!", by that time you'd better walk out because they have you and can get you to sign for any interest rate, 14%, 16%, etc.

Most banks only care about what you did in the past 2 years (Except for unpaid collections, bankruptcies, etc.) I would always pull my credit report before going out and getting an idea what your credit score is. Anything in the low 600's would need something down...unless you have a history of car loans and they're all good, in which case you shouldn't budge. 650 is pretty much a sure thing and 680 + is automatic. If you have a good payment history for 2 years then you have nothing to worry about. And finally, if they pull the stunt that "Cars are harder to get approved for than credit cards" then laugh. Cars, homes are secured loans, i.e. you don't pay they take away your car, home, etc. Credit cards are unsecured, thereby harder...