After FA so far, what are remaining needs

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. It went real quiet afterwards and looks like he removed his Twitter account for some reason.

Just odd because he would have been a huge upgrade over what we had and for a lot cheaper.

I have trouble believing our new staff is comfortable with Chris Jones and his 41.6 average last year. Of course, looking at his numbers, he did average 44.5 the previous year so maybe there was a reason for his drop-off that they know about.

It's also possibly they don't see King as an option for some reason. I was trying to find some XFL stats on him. I found some from Feb. 17 that showed he was average 47.2 yards per punt.

At this point, I don't know if the plan is to give Jones another shot without more than maybe UDFA competition, draft a punter or wait until later to bring in a vet. King not having signed with a team yet tells me that he may be considered too much of a handful.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I believe that the priority is to strengthen the defensive line as much as possible in an effort to increase the pass rush pressure enough to cover for what is sure to be a secondary in transition in 2020, and likely 2021 as well. I think the hope isn't that a good enough rush will cover for lesser secondary play.

It could be. The priority may be pressure, pressure and more pressure to make the secondary have to cover for less time and force errant throws.

I feel like we're going to be taking a corner in one of the first two rounds, but it's clear that this coaching staff has targeted the defensive line as an area that needs to be fixed.

Of course, it's possible based on some of the free agent rumors that we were also targeting corners like Harris and Trufant and receivers like Emmanuel Sanders, so maybe those moves just were considered too costly and those positions now move up in priority in the draft.

Tussinman

Reaction score
If they did starting corner in round 1, borderline starting safety in round 2, and starting #3 WR in round 3 I would be happy

Bizwah

Reaction score
Corner. We lost Byron Jones and will likely lose either (or both) Lewis and Awuzie next season.

RDE. There's no way of knowing if Aldon Smith or Randy Gregory will be able to perform anywhere near the level they used to. Heck, neither of them have even been reinstated by the Commish. Crawford is coming off of double hip surgery. I like Armstrong, Jackson, and Jelks, but I don't want to count on them.

TE. Jarwin has some potential for sure. But outside of him, we really don't have an option here.

WR. Good year to need a WR. I certainly wouldn't run from a chance to draft one of the top WRs in the first round if one is available. I think our CB and DE need are greater, but if Ruggs or Lamb are there at 17.....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defense. They have positioned themselves to pick BPA on defense. Actually offense too, but the defense has more needs.

DE, DT (in the 3rd or 4th rounds now though), CB, S. the this not in any specific order. They can draft one of each in the 1st 3 rounds.
However if a DE, it is best in the 1st round. Also depends on what they think or if they think Smith & Gregory will shore up the RDE spot.

I think they can wait on slot WR to replace Cobb, unless one is BPA in the 3rd round. I could be ok with that, depending the defensive players they pick in rounds 1, 2, 4.

Rounds 5, 5, 7. They can go OL, TE, RB, WR, P, or what ever.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we have shores up the DL if we can get all the troubled players on board.

LB I think is still an issue with the injury history there.

CB we need a top corner to shore up this position imo but we could get by with what we have if we have shores up the DL as it looks let we may have.

safety is still an issue. Wood is solid but we could use a high draft pick at the other position.

on offense...

rb is solid but depth in the draft is so good that if one drops it would be tempting

wr also a strong position with lots of talent. Not a great need but could be too good to pass up

Qb. On the surface doesn’t look like a need but you never know about a hold out or future options

OL. Definitely a need. OT is a great need and C is also a need but it doesn’t seem to be a great selection this year.

TE. Would not hurt for depth.

The Cowboys need to add as much talent as possible within the salary cap system with only limited focus on specific positions.

Fans projections of need at this time of year are almost always wrong.

At this time in 2018 the OL looked like it would be great but then Frederick got the illness and Tyron/Martin both had injury issues.

At this time in 2019 LB looked like a team strength but scheme changes from having 2 D-Coordinators and the injury to Vander Esch plus DL issues made LB a problem position.

Last year picking an interior OL was questioned by many fans but now it appears to be a great decision.

CB seems like a big need but the Cowboys have 3 CBs with at least reasonable NFL ability. It's impossible to judge by 2019 because Kris Richard weakened coverage in an attempt to improve the horrid run defense. He put Awuzie into an impossible situation schematically. If not for the injury, CB Brown probably would have gotten a contract somewhere that would have shocked most fans. He has been much better than most fans/media opinions.

RDE might be great if Gregory and Aldon Smith show up and a rookie draft pick meets or exceeds expectations. On the flip side both Gregory and Smith could remain suspended and a rookie pass rusher might struggle due to playing too many snaps.

I'll repeat...the Cowboys need to add as much talent as possible within the salary cap system with only limited focus on specific positions.

Even obvious decisions are not always the best in retrospect. In 2017 RB Dalvin Cook fell to the 2nd round. If he had made it to the Cowboys pick and if they had drafted him fans/media would have exploded with criticism of the pick; however, flash forward to 2019 with Zeke holding out for a contract and that situation is much much different if Cook is on the roster. The Cowboys could have traded one of them and Zeke's agent would have been much less bold in having Zeke holdout. It is likely that Zeke would have shared carries to some extent with Cook in 2017/2018 which would limit his stats and therefore limit his market value. They also might have had Cook in 2017 when Zeke was suspended (He was injured with the Vikings that season but there is no way to know if he would have been injury with the Cowboys).

In 2009 the Cowboys could have drafted RB LeSean McCoy in the 2nd round. He was the only player available on their draft board at at that point with a 1st round grade. They trade down instead of drafting him because they had Felix and Barber. Both Felix and Barber flamed out within a couple of years from that draft while McCoy went on to terrific career and was still playing in 2019:
McCoy:
  • Super Bowl champion (LIV)
  • 6× Pro Bowl (2011, 2013–2017)
  • 2× First-team All-Pro (2011, 2013)
  • NFL rushing yards leader (2013)
  • NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2011)
  • Philadelphia Eagles All-Time Rushing Yards Leader

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think we have shores up the DL if we can get all the troubled players on board.

CB we need a top corner to shore up this position imo but we could get by with what we have if we have shores up the DL as it looks let we may have.

safety is still an issue. Wood is solid but we could use a high draft pick at the other position.

on offense...

rb is solid but depth in the draft is so good that if one drops it would be tempting

wr also a strong position with lots of talent. Not a great need but could be too good to pass up

Qb. On the surface doesn’t look like a need but you never know about a hold out or future options

OL. Definitely a need. OT is a great need and C is also a need but it doesn’t seem to be a great selection this year.

Center, CB, Safety, DL, TE, WR, backup QB in no particular order

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The character of this team is set on it's offense. That and the Cowboys' own way.

Do you make that offense the very best on carpet unit in the NFL? Even continuing to add depth in the offensive line as in the recent past...or does one stick to an averaging makes best policy? Gamble a little...or not?

Cowboys offense will never be the best with Looney at center and Williams at guard. The Oline as a strength would be over.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It could be. The priority may be pressure, pressure and more pressure to make the secondary have to cover for less time and force errant throws.

I feel like we're going to be taking a corner in one of the first two rounds, but it's clear that this coaching staff has targeted the defensive line as an area that needs to be fixed.

Of course, it's possible based on some of the free agent rumors that we were also targeting corners like Harris and Trufant and receivers like Emmanuel Sanders, so maybe those moves just were considered too costly and those positions now move up in priority in the draft.

I actually think they see CB as just as much a priority as DL but coz it's a more expensive position to replace, they rather draft. In fact, it would not surprise me to see them double-dip the position within the first four picks. Looking at MM tenure with the Packs, it's obvious he loves drafting DBs.

kumizi

Reaction score
#1 corner - expect one to be drafted in top two rounds
#2 pass rusher - not sure. might draft one if top two corners are gone in first round. might just roll the dice with Gregory and Aldon
#3 receiver - expect one to be drafted in top three rounds

Carson

Reaction score
#1 corner - expect one to be drafted in top two rounds
#2 pass rusher - not sure. might draft one if top two corners are gone in first round. might just roll the dice with Gregory and Aldon
#3 receiver - expect one to be drafted in top three rounds

Pretty spot on.

Agreed 100%

gimmesix

Reaction score
I actually think they see CB as just as much a priority as DL but coz it's a more expensive position to replace, they rather draft. In fact, it would not surprise me to see them double-dip the position within the first four picks. Looking at MM tenure with the Packs, it's obvious he loves drafting DBs.

Not sure we can go by McCarthy's tenure in Green Bay. My understanding is that he didn't get any say in player acquisition.

But there at least was some indication that Dallas might have been interested in a couple of corners in free agency, so costs definitely could have been the issue there.

visionary

Reaction score
#1: great DL (DT or DE)
#2: great TE
#3: great safety
#4: 3rd WR who is also PR/KR
#5: good CB
#6: OL depth

Several other needs like back up QB, depth at LB

TwentyOne

Reaction score

on offense...

QB
RDE
CB
WR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Upgrade special teams. That will win you two more games at least. Seriously, do that and you probably make the playoffs last year.