After two games: What we know and don’t know

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
maybe you should not tell people to sit out...ill post replies to every post i se git in the manner i see fit..

i say far to small a sample size to make that judgment..next

tenor.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I just laid out clearly why you go for 2 there. Your response is it is dumb and Football 101. OK, school me professor, given what I wrote, why would I go for 1 and play for a tie at best and loss at worst?

You laid out the dumb reasoning why you go for two. And really all you did was repeat what the idiot MM said. Do you have a brain or are you just a parrot?

I mean...……….honestly, how dumb do you have to be? You actually watched the horror of EXACTLY why you DONT go for two there. Once we missed the conversion the game was over. LOL

Only a miracle onsides kick saved what was the dumbest decision MM made in one week. And to come on here and make a thread actually promoting the call is dumber than dumb.

But here you are. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

MikeB80

Reaction score
I am about to watch the rams eagles. I only saw a few seconds of this game yesterday so i kind of cant wait to see how the eagles got beat so bad.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good assessment.

I watched Terence Steele and I saw something about him that I really like in offensive linemen. He has a good push to him. He can knock guys off the LOS. Consistency is an unknown but at least we know he has power, which much of this OL lacks. I wonder what he would be like at LG. Knight seems to play ok when he gets the chance. If Erving comes back maybe he and Knight become the swing tackles and they can try Steele inside. I could be way off on this but OGs will power are a big plus for the running game.

After watching McCarthy yesterday I started to wonder if his success was more a function of Aaron Rodgers play than his own coaching ability. I hope I am wrong.

The defense is pretty bad and gives up too much easy yardage. But this is often a characteristic of guys playing in a new scheme, at least for a few weeks. The differences might be minimal but it looks like guy are unsure where they should be. In a few games we should see some improvement. If not, the problem is going to require a bigger fix.

The Falcons are not a very good football team. That the Cowboys needed to win as they did says a lot about this team right now.

CeeDee is the real deal. Dalton Schultz can be a good player. Gallup had a big catch late. But this is how this offense should work. The receivers all compliment each other.

Dak played a great game behind a banged up offensive line.When he spreads the ball around he is a top QB in this league. But he started last year like this. We need to see this for the full season.

I saw some big running lanes for Zeke at times yesterday.

One last point, The Cowboys lost a close game to the Rams. The Rams are 2-0 after beating up the Eagles in Philly. The Rams could be a very good team and losing to them in their new stadium may not have been that much of an indication of the Cowboys strength.

This win should be a huge boost for this team. It was wild. But it had to be a lot of fun for the Cowboys players. Let's see if it gives them a boost going into next week's game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wrote a response to this before I read your response but let me try to lay it out in more detail @Bobhaze

1) If you go for 1, you’re down 8. Typically when that happens, you get the ball back and you drive methodically down the field to tie the game and try to leave no time on the clock so your opponent can’t come back and win.

However if you miss that final two point conversion, you lose the game, there’s no chance for an onside kick.

2) By going for the 2 points now, you know how to play the rest of the game. If you make it, you play for the tie on the next drive and OT. If you don’t make it, you know that you need to move fast because you’ll need an onside kick too.

Does this help?
I understand- and you said it very well. I just disagree that going for two at that juncture in the game - 4 min left- is a good move. Because you now have to score twice in 4 min. If you get to 8 it’s a one score game instead of two.

Just my opinion.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I understand- and you said it very well. I just disagree that going for two at that juncture in the game - 4 min left- is a good move. Because you now have to score twice in 4 min. If you get to 8 it’s a one score game instead of two.

Just my opinion.

The extra possession you're so worried about doesn't come from how much time is left on the clock, it comes from failing on a 2 point conversion. A 2 point conversion you must go for at some point. Period. End of story.

Whether that's at 4 minutes, or 4 seconds, IT. DOES. NOT. MATTER. You have to get that extra point.

If you fail, at either point, you need an extra possession.

If you go for it at the 4 minute mark, you may get an opportunity for that extra possession.

If you go for it at the 4 second mark, you lose.

Objectively, rationally, logically, if you want the best chance at a win, you go for 2 at 4 minutes, 100% of the time.

You gain absolutely NOTHING by putting that off until later. All you do is lower your chances of winning.

Better to need an extra possession at 4 minutes, than at 4 seconds.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am about to watch the rams eagles. I only saw a few seconds of this game yesterday so i kind of cant wait to see how the eagles got beat so bad.
I watched a little piece of that game yesterday. The rams may be better than most thought. But anyone burying the eagles after two games is using wishful thinking. Two game sample sizes are too small to know a ton about a team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LLLOOLLL, they better improve by Sunday or RW will throw for 6 TD's.
I’m continually amazed at how many Cowboys fans talk about the offense’s problems when the defense is so clearly below average at best. Hopefully the defense can improve, because if not, this team’s playoff chances are slim and none.

The only surprise I’ve seen on defense is how completely anemic the pass rush has been. Maybe that will improve as these guys get in better shape and learn how to play as a unit. Time will tell.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I’m continually amazed at how many Cowboys fans talk about the offense’s problems when the defense is so clearly below average at best. Hopefully the defense can improve, because if not, this team’s playoff chances are slim and none.

The only surprise I’ve seen on defense is how completely anemic the pass rush has been. Maybe that will improve as these guys get in better shape and learn how to play as a unit. Time will tell.

Agree, I thought with DL, Smith and Grif and with RG coming back our rush from the outside would be off the charts. It is off the chart all right but not the good chart.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, I thought with DL, Smith and Grif and with RG coming back our rush from the outside would be off the charts. It is off the chart all right but not the good chart.
When was the last time the Cowboys had a great defense? 2007-09? And I wouldn’t call that one great. Jimmy’s teams from 92-93?

My point is this front office obviously does not value defense as much as offense. The draft capital and cap space spent on offense speaks volumes. How many times have we had a really good offense only to see a below average defense sink us?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
When was the last time the Cowboys had a great defense? 2007-09? And I wouldn’t call that one great. Jimmy’s teams from 92-93?

My point is this front office obviously does not value defense as much as offense. The draft capital and cap space spent on offense speaks volumes. How many times have we had a really good offense only to see a below average defense sink us?

Agree Bob.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I always believe it takes at least 4-6 games to have a good idea what an NFL team’s identity is. So after two weeks and two wild games for this team, I still believe it’s trying to find itself.

Here are a few things I believe we do know about this team, although it could still change:
  • The defense is a mess. We knew going into this season it was our weak link, and so far that has clearly proven out. It must improve for us to have any shot to do anything this year. Injuries to several starters don’t help.
  • The OL is no longer a top position unit in this league. Injuries along with the Travis Frederick retirement have made this unit less than stellar. Rookie Terrance Steele and and second year retread Brandon Knight have shown some promise, but it’s way too early to know if those guys can be consistent.
  • Dak Prescott is an outstanding QB in this league. The anti-Dak Cowboys fans cannot say Dak sucks and be able to call themselves objective. He has become one of the top young QBs in this league and he’s still only 27. He’s not Mahomes (no one else is) but he’s really good.

• Zeke has continued to play at a high level. Most RBs by their 5th year begin to show some wear on the tire tread. Zeke has played very well to start the season, even with a makeshift OL.
  • Mike McCarthy seems to be trying too hard to make a statement- I like a HC who takes risks, but there’s a difference between risk and stupid. The decision to go for two with 4 min left and down 9 yesterday was incredibly foolish. He got rescued by Dak’s playmaking and poise late along with the mindlessly stupid falcon special team players who apparently didn’t understand you have to recover an onside kick, lol. Relax Coach Mac. Don’t try too hard.
What we don’t know yet:
  • Will this rash of injuries to start the season continue, and if so can we overcome them?Overcoming injuries are part of the game too many fans don’t seem to realize. The ability of the coaching staff to coach up backup players is huge. If the backups can perform well enough to keep the team afloat, we will still have a chance.

• The identity of this team is still in doubt- is this team mentally tough enough to overcome its problems? Mental toughness is huge when injuries have ravaged your team. Will be interesting to see if this team can develop a swagger despite being banged up.
  • Will this defense be able to improve? If not, this is clearly not a playoff team. If it is to improve, it will need to come from some unproven players like Diggs and several other young and unproven players. Can Mike Nolan cobble together a defense that can improve to a level of at least average?
It’s still way too early to start looking at the schedule and declaring where the wins will come from. Many fans will of course, but this team after two games is damn lucky to be 1-1. If this team is to become something better than mediocre, there is a lot of work to be done.
I agree with your point on McCarthy, even if I disagree with the example you used. (an 8-point game isn't necessarily a one-possession game - there's a 50% chance it's a two-possession game still). The second fake punt was an example of him trying too hard. At that point if you aren't going to punt it use your offense to pick up the first down.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
You laid out the dumb reasoning why you go for two. And really all you did was repeat what the idiot MM said. Do you have a brain or are you just a parrot?

I mean...……….honestly, how dumb do you have to be? You actually watched the horror of EXACTLY why you DONT go for two there. Once we missed the conversion the game was over. LOL

Only a miracle onsides kick saved what was the dumbest decision MM made in one week. And to come on here and make a thread actually promoting the call is dumber than dumb.
But here you are. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

Umm, ok insults when you have no argument. Got it. The ignore list it is.

I didn't even watch the press conference, I've always thought this way and it makes the most sense. As I said, if he goes for 1, we're driving at the end of the game to tie the game and when we miss that two point conversion then, we lose. It's not rocket science, but you seem incapable of even trying to understand.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

Just my opinion.

Yes and I respect your opinion. You only have to score twice in 4 minutes if you don't make it, and you eventually have to try, so why not try early so you can game plan accordingly? That's my thoughts on it anyway. Either way, I think you can make an argument for both sides so I wouldn't criticize a coach for making the call either way.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Great write up by @Bobhaze per usual.

The only thing I take issue with is the 2 point attempt. I agree with @Kevinicus and others. You need it at some point. Missing it there let’s you prepare and adjust your gameplan to score fast. Which we did.

The only problem with doing that so early, you don't make it and now you are still 2 scores down since there are no 9 point plays in the NFL. Take the one point and if score at end you now know you have to go for 2 to tie.