After watching the Monday nighter I'm convinced...

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
There was alot of talk about us going after Ray Lewis... We got Zach Thomas instead. While I like Zach, he doesn't seem to provide the spark that Lewis has. Anyone who watched that game, or watches them play on a regular basis, knows that he hasn't lost a step with his age. He is a beast, and while we won't get him, we NEED someone like him on our defense. Someone who will provide fire, energy, and, most importantly, accountability to our defense. I don't see that in Zach. Thoughts?

Just a side note... I am not looking forward to the two games against those two teams. There was like 5 guys carted off that field!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LOL - Zach Thomas is all over the field - Wrong posters being silenced - LOL

Eskimo

Reaction score
Both of those teams will rip us a new one the way we are defending the run.

Our only chance will be to get out to a big lead and hope their QBs are having off days.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Eskimo;2300690 said:

Our only chance will be to get out to a big lead and hope their QBs are having off days.

I'm more concerned with how we are getting a big lead... especially against the Ravens... Hopefully we have things wrapped up by then.:rolleyes:

Eskimo

Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2300692 said:
I'm more concerned with how we are getting a big lead... especially against the Ravens... Hopefully we have things wrapped up by then.:rolleyes:

This offense will very likely continue to produce.

The defense looked like a sieve against a pretty bad offensive team.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2300639 said:
There was alot of talk about us going after Ray Lewis... We got Zach Thomas instead. While I like Zach, he doesn't seem to provide the spark that Lewis has. Anyone who watched that game, or watches them play on a regular basis, knows that he hasn't lost a step with his age. He is a beast, and while we won't get him, we NEED someone like him on our defense. Someone who will provide fire, energy, and, most importantly, accountability to our defense. I don't see that in Zach. Thoughts?

Just a side note... I am not looking forward to the two games against those two teams. There was like 5 guys carted off that field!

Yes, he has.

Jay

Reaction score
Ray Lewis isn't the LB he is in the 3-4 as he is in the 4-3. He has a tougher time shedding blocks and prefers a 4-3 style defense better.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Jay;2300920 said:
Ray Lewis isn't the LB he is in the 3-4 as he is in the 4-3. He has a tougher time shedding blocks and prefers a 4-3 style defense better.

Exactly. He's said numerous times that he likes to be in a front with two huge DT's in front of him.

No matter which lineup you played here he wouldn't have the kind of DT's he likes in front of him. Neither of our DT's are front end loaders who just eat up space.

superpunk

Reaction score
You can't just come into a team and be a leader, or provide a spark. Right now Zach is out there hauling *** all over the field, making plays sideline to sideline.

If you're not satisfied with that from an ancient LB who came to Dallas on the cheap, then I don't know what to tell you. Baltimore's defense is Ray Lewis's defense. If Ray Lewis played in Dallas, it would not be his defense - not yet.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Eskimo;2300690 said:

I think we will make the necessary adjustments to the run game this week. I agree with the gap control reasoning provided by the team after watching the game over again. It was not like we were being blown off the ball. We just got sloppy and I think we need to scale back on the ILB blitzing. It is not cost-efficient with what we give up against the run.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I am not even watching for Zack Thomas on gameday and I notice a small butcher block shaped guy all over the field pursuing the ball carrier.

He is going well and I expect will get better with each game(age)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;2301431 said:
I think we will make the necessary adjustments to the run game this week. I agree with the gap control reasoning provided by the team after watching the game over again. It was not like we were being blown off the ball. We just got sloppy and I think we need to scale back on the ILB blitzing. It is not cost-efficient with what we give up against the run.
Excellent point. It was like the Corner blitzed worked against Green Bay, so they'll be expecting that, we need to surprise them somewhere else this week.

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2300645 said:
Ray Lewis is what this defense needs, he's a true leader.

I posted this 2 years ago that we should give up a 2nd or 3rd for Ray Lewis when he was available and was ripped by the haters.

You cant teach what Ray brings.. HEART AND PASSION. His intensity alone would fire up the defense and their mild mannered attitudes.

BUT.... ZACH is a BEAST and wouldn't give up what he brings. But If we had gotten Ray... CYA Bradie.

The most intense player on the field is 5'9 and 189 pounds. His is not scared of contact or to show emotions. This cant be said about half of our D.

ridon99

Reaction score
We need to quit worrying about getting this player and getting that player.

We have players. Its up to our coaches to get the most out of them.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
JRid21;2300837 said:
He hasn't lost much and he injured Mendenhall too. Guy is still a beast

Roy injured Emmitt is he a beast??

The dirt injured Julius is dirt a beast????

Injuries happen at a whim of a breeze. I love Ray, imo the best linebacker thats played (IMO! dont spaz people) but he has lost a step or two...go watch highlights from their 2000 championship season THAT is a beast

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile;2301444 said:
Excellent point. It was like the Corner blitzed worked against Green Bay, so they'll be expecting that, we need to surprise them somewhere else this week.

We sent Zach Thomas and Bradie James entirely too much.

And not to downgrade either, but they aren't naturals at blitzing, especially James. They need to patrol for runs, not be rushers.

I know what Phillips is doing as it is basically the same thing he did in San Diego and gave up doing last year because Ayodele wasn't effective, but it is not worth what we are giving up in terms of run support.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Zach is just fine... I think one time last week (not sure about presently) that he was leading the team in tackles... He is doing just what he is supposed to... I too agree that he needs to stay back more in support of the run.

What Dallas never has had with their 3-4 (and no disrespect to Rat or Tank) is that huge monster of a NT that clogs up the entire middle of the DL. I too was skeptical about how quick we sent off Fergy. I hated to see him go because he had the thick body type of a NT and ability to hold ground like a NT should.

Dallas is a tad light in the britches by using Rat as well as Tank at NT, even thought Rat has elevated his performance level... Dallas needs a Vince Wilfork, Ted Washington, Casey Hampton, or Haloti Ngata type beefcake in the middle... Wade had his monster in Jamal Williams in SD and I just think it makes the pass rush operate even better in that style of D.

My 2 cents