After watching the Monday nighter I'm convinced...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Our Defense is the most basic 3-4 defense out of the good teams that use the 3-4. we have to take some chances once in a while cause this team depends on the offense too much.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I would just say that while I am also happy with Zach, I've been clammoring for better ILB for this club for 2 years now...Tackling is shoddy and even with Bradie's performances of late, I saw him missing out on bringing Portis down many times...The tackling is pretty poor for this defense, IMHO

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;2301566 said:
We sent Zach Thomas and Bradie James entirely too much.

And not to downgrade either, but they aren't naturals at blitzing, especially James. They need to patrol for runs, not be rushers.

I know what Phillips is doing as it is basically the same thing he did in San Diego and gave up doing last year because Ayodele wasn't effective, but it is not worth what we are giving up in terms of run support.
For pure football takes with no spin and proper logic...that is just a great freaking post.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2300639 said:
There was alot of talk about us going after Ray Lewis... We got Zach Thomas instead. While I like Zach, he doesn't seem to provide the spark that Lewis has. Anyone who watched that game, or watches them play on a regular basis, knows that he hasn't lost a step with his age. He is a beast, and while we won't get him, we NEED someone like him on our defense. Someone who will provide fire, energy, and, most importantly, accountability to our defense. I don't see that in Zach. Thoughts?

Just a side note... I am not looking forward to the two games against those two teams. There was like 5 guys carted off that field!
Yes, Lewis has lost more than just a step. He's nowhere near the player he was 5 years ago. Still good, but not the dominating presence he used to be.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2301823 said:
Yes, Lewis has lost more than just a step. He's nowhere near the player he was 5 years ago. Still good, but not the dominating presence he used to be.

He had one of his best statistical seasons LAST year... in 14 games he had 120 tackles, 10 passes defended, two interceptions, and a TD. Add that to his emotional leadership, and passion for winning, and I'd take him anyday.

I'm not saying that I'm disappointed in Zach by any means. I am just saying that we lack a "Ray Lewis type" leader on and off the field. No player on our defense is accountable for their mistakes... When do we see one player getting in another one's ear about a blown coverage or missed tackle? As a player you need accountability to someone.

JRid21

Reaction score
the kid 05;2301544 said:
Roy injured Emmitt is he a beast??

The dirt injured Julius is dirt a beast????

Injuries happen at a whim of a breeze. I love Ray, imo the best linebacker thats played (IMO! dont spaz people) but he has lost a step or two...go watch highlights from their 2000 championship season THAT is a beast

I wasn't saying he was still a beast for injuring Mendenhall, sorry it seemed that way. I was saying he is still a beast in general. I know he has lost a step or two but he hasn't lost as much as everyone else makes it out to be. The guy is probably the best leader in the NFL and for him to still be playing like he is after injuries among other things is amazing, that's why I said he is a beast.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Rack;2300778 said:
Yes, he has.

Hell yeah he has. He doesn't even look in shape, IMO.

Zach's quicker, smarter and is in better football shape. If we could get the DL to cooperate, he'd be stuffin the run. JMO, of course.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
superpunk;2301076 said:
You can't just come into a team and be a leader, or provide a spark. Right now Zach is out there hauling *** all over the field, making plays sideline to sideline.

If you're not satisfied with that from an ancient LB who came to Dallas on the cheap, then I don't know what to tell you. Baltimore's defense is Ray Lewis's defense. If Ray Lewis played in Dallas, it would not be his defense - not yet.

Dead on. Zach will get his $0.02 in soon enough. :hammer:

MCowboys

Reaction score
Isn't the obvious point that Zach Thomas was available for not much. He was low risk, high reward. Ray Lewis is under contract and the Ravens, and if they thought he could still play, would never trade him. Come on, he is the face of the franchise still, why would they let him go? If they were offering him up, wouldn't that say something about their lack or faith in him?