Agents on the forum?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I've got a family friend that's looking to go A or AA baseball in the next couple of years, and with me starting off in law school he said that he would like to look into me possibly being his "agent" for the minor leagues and maybe more.

Anyone know what certifications are required or what classes I need to sign up for in order to earn a certification? Thanks in advance.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
You just have to be greedy and threaten hold outs.

Just kidding. I have no idea.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
That's the kinda thing a law student should be able to look up.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3435215 said:
I've got a family friend that's looking to go A or AA baseball in the next couple of years, and with me starting off in law school he said that he would like to look into me possibly being his "agent" for the minor leagues and maybe more.

Anyone know what certifications are required or what classes I need to sign up for in order to earn a certification? Thanks in advance.

Barry Bonds' 1st agent was a public defender who helped his father beat a drunk driving charge. I don't believe you have to do anything to become an agent. Just draw up a contract, and have him sign on with you. So when he goes into contract negotiations, he just introduces you as his agent.

BTW what do you mean he's looking to play minor league ball? I thought you had to be drafted by an MLB team in order to do that, and the team who drafts you designates you there.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3435256 said:
Barry Bonds' 1st agent was a public defender who helped his father beat a drunk driving charge. I don't believe you have to do anything to become an agent. Just draw up a contract, and have him sign on with you. So when he goes into contract negotiations, he just introduces you as his agent.

BTW what do you mean he's looking to play minor league ball? I thought you had to be drafted by an MLB team in order to do that, and the team who drafts you designates you there.

Yeah I instantly thought the same thing. You don't just wake up one day and say I am gonna go sign on with a minor league team.

He probably meant he'll get drafted in the next couple of years.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dawgs0916;3435277 said:
Yeah I instantly thought the same thing. You don't just wake up one day and say I am gonna go sign on with a minor league team.

He probably meant he'll get drafted in the next couple of years.

I don't know why a minor leaguer would need an agent either.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I went undrafted again this year. I'm looking to hire an agent and get some negotiations underway for next year. (I think I've missed too much of camp so far.)

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3435282 said:
I don't know why a minor leaguer would need an agent either.

Well the higher round guys negotiate contracts the same way an NFL player would. Also some HS drafted guys have more leverage because they always have that fallback of going to whichever college to play where they committed to.

But I get the sense that this family friend is no Stephen Strasburg. lol.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Dawgs0916;3435292 said:
Well the higher round guys negotiate contracts the same way an NFL player would. Also some HS drafted guys have more leverage because they always have that fallback of going to whichever college to play where they committed to.

But I get the sense that this family friend is no Stephen Strasburg. lol.

No he's not.

Plus there are many other A and AA level teams that are not affiliated with MLB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agents on the forum?
smithsit.jpg

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
casmith07;3435711 said:
No he's not.

Plus there are many other A and AA level teams that are not affiliated with MLB.

I bet that $37.50 you make off THAT "contract" will go a long way towards that Maserati Quattroporte you've had your eye on?

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
casmith07;3435711 said:
No he's not.

?? I hope your ok getting paid in pesos then.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Jon88;3435287 said:
I went undrafted again this year. I'm looking to hire an agent and get some negotiations underway for next year. (I think I've missed too much of camp so far.)

It could possibly be your 135lb weight, too. But let's not lose hope. You play big.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3436284 said:
It could possibly be your 135lb weight, too. But let's not lose hope. You play big.

Try 6'2 215.

I think it's my 40 time. I only run a 4.4.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Clutch;3436341 said:
And, I like pizza.

You too?

Oh it's great. It's good with beer too.

I also like working out, but not with a hangover!

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Jon88;3436351 said:
You too?

Man, it's like cowboyjoe had a son.

Clutch

Reaction score
Jon88;3436351 said:
You too?

Supreme pizza. Bud light.

Not so much with the working out. Laziness is my forte.