Ahmad Brooks OLB

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stokee said:
Any word on him coiming out and/or Ron Wright (Texas)?

Brooks and teammate Blackstock are both reportedly staying in school...dont know anything about Wright staying or going, but dont really care...I didnt see him make a single play in the few games I saw Texas play this yr...maybe he made some in the other games, but not in the ones I saw

David

chicago JK

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens to Brooks. A lot of talk now is he may be a top 20 pick. That may be hard to resist. Plus earlier in the year another poster familar with UVA says he has trouble with grades. Not sure if that was true or not. With Blackstock I also read he is having trouble with grades. Kiper called Brooks the best LBer in the draft will get more people whispering in his ear.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Brooks and teammate Blackstock are both reportedly staying in school...dont know anything about Wright staying or going, but dont really care...I didnt see him make a single play in the few games I saw Texas play this yr...maybe he made some in the other games, but not in the ones I saw

David

Wright didn't seem to light it up this season...I am weary of him as well.

Reaction score
I've seen him play this year, and I think he's more hype than substance. He's not even the best LB on his own team (Blackstock is better, IMO), and definitely not the best LB in the ACC (Sims from FSU is better, as is D'Qwell Jackson from MD).

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
I've seen him play this year, and I think he's more hype than substance. He's not even the best LB on his own team (Blackstock is better, IMO), and definitely not the best LB in the ACC (Sims from FSU is better, as is D'Qwell Jackson from MD).

You're kidding about Blackstock being better I hope. Brooks is a sophmore and had numbers which were devastating...90tckl/6.5sacks/2int's/1ff.

2much2soon

Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:

I flipped on their bowl game (MPC or Humanitarian Bowl or whatever they called it this year) to catch Brooks since I have heard so much about him on this board.

The first play I saw was a linebacker sized guy (#34) go over to make a tackle on the sideline and just whiff terribly. I didn't know who it was at the time but I figured it couldn't of been this Brooks kid that everyone was so high on. The guy I saw on that play looked like he didn't even belong on the field.

A few plays later they identified #34 as indeed being Ahmad Brooks. I was shocked when I heard that.

Now I will be the first to admit that watching only a handful of plays out of one game isn't a fair way to evaluate a player. But after hearing all the hype about Brooks I felt he would stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the field and totally dominate. He didn't, from what I saw.