Aikman on why he retired

Reverend Conehead

Well-Known Member
Messages
10,467
Reaction score
12,543
I think the most interesting part of this is that he intended to keep playing and would have if Norv Turner had signed him in San Diego, then he almost got Miami. What stands out to me was Aikman was driven away from the Cowboys organization because of their bad decisions.

The part that made me cringe was that he got an offer to play for the Eagles. Thank God he turned that one down. That would have been really sickening to see him in an Eagles uniform. I've cringed when I saw Cowboys players in another team's uniform as follows:

John Niland in an Eagles uniform.
Calvin Hill in a Washington uniform.
Herschel Walker in an Eagles uniform.
Ken Norton Jr. in a 49ers uniform.

Thank God I was spared seeing Aikman in an Eagles uniform.

 
Could see him and some other players in an eagles uniform, even some fans on here!!
 
I think the most interesting part of this is that he intended to keep playing and would have if Norv Turner had signed him in San Diego, then he almost got Miami. What stands out to me was Aikman was driven away from the Cowboys organization because of their bad decisions.

The part that made me cringe was that he got an offer to play for the Eagles. Thank God he turned that one down. That would have been really sickening to see him in an Eagles uniform. I've cringed when I saw Cowboys players in another team's uniform as follows:

John Niland in an Eagles uniform.
Calvin Hill in a Washington uniform.
Herschel Walker in an Eagles uniform.
Ken Norton Jr. in a 49ers uniform.

Thank God I was spared seeing Aikman in an Eagles uniform.


Aikman stopped playing because he was cooked. If any team actually wanted him to play they would have offered him legit money and he would have played.

Aikman sought out a starting QB gig. He did not get one. That really tells you everything you really need to know.
 
The Aikman love is ridiculous. He was a great qb here until he wasn’t. He’s been a solid broadcaster after that. The people that think he’s the second coming to football and some kind of football savant are delusional.
 
I think the most interesting part of this is that he intended to keep playing and would have if Norv Turner had signed him in San Diego, then he almost got Miami. What stands out to me was Aikman was driven away from the Cowboys organization because of their bad decisions.

The part that made me cringe was that he got an offer to play for the Eagles. Thank God he turned that one down. That would have been really sickening to see him in an Eagles uniform. I've cringed when I saw Cowboys players in another team's uniform as follows:

John Niland in an Eagles uniform.
Calvin Hill in a Washington uniform.
Herschel Walker in an Eagles uniform.
Ken Norton Jr. in a 49ers uniform.

Thank God I was spared seeing Aikman in an Eagles uniform.


Seeing Norton with the 49ers was tough. And Emmitt with the Cardinals was hard.
 
I think the most interesting part of this is that he intended to keep playing and would have if Norv Turner had signed him in San Diego, then he almost got Miami. What stands out to me was Aikman was driven away from the Cowboys organization because of their bad decisions.

The part that made me cringe was that he got an offer to play for the Eagles. Thank God he turned that one down. That would have been really sickening to see him in an Eagles uniform. I've cringed when I saw Cowboys players in another team's uniform as follows:

John Niland in an Eagles uniform.
Calvin Hill in a Washington uniform.
Herschel Walker in an Eagles uniform.
Ken Norton Jr. in a 49ers uniform.

Thank God I was spared seeing Aikman in an Eagles uniform.


Or Emmitt as a Cardinal …

I’m glad Aikman retired when he did.

He had at least ten concussions in his career, including one on his very last play.
 
Last edited:
I heard Aikman quit because of the concussions.
There's probably a little truth to that, but Aikman wasn't going to tell the truth back then. Maybe he didn't want to smear Jerry and the organization like he basically did in this interview. And he still didn't really bash Jerry by name, he just said he wasn't happy with decisions that were being made.

Jerry literally crushed the organization back then, and is still causing harm to this day.
 
After the 1996 season, the last time Dallas won, Aikman was 24-28 over the next four seasons.

Aikman was on the 18th hole of his career ready for the clubhouse.
 
After the 1996 season, the last time Dallas won, Aikman was 24-28 over the next four seasons.

Aikman was on the 18th hole of his career ready for the clubhouse.
You're not wrong, but it wasn't the same organization as it was prior to the 1995/1996 season. Not even close. The next 4 years you are talking about was the beginning of Jerry destroying the organization. I have never blamed Aikman for that and never will.
 
..its ok Troy. You helped bring 3 championships to the org.

YOu cant play forever. Besides back then taking licks was brutal.

Not like today.
 
I think the most interesting part of this is that he intended to keep playing and would have if Norv Turner had signed him in San Diego, then he almost got Miami. What stands out to me was Aikman was driven away from the Cowboys organization because of their bad decisions.

The part that made me cringe was that he got an offer to play for the Eagles. Thank God he turned that one down. That would have been really sickening to see him in an Eagles uniform. I've cringed when I saw Cowboys players in another team's uniform as follows:

John Niland in an Eagles uniform.
Calvin Hill in a Washington uniform.
Herschel Walker in an Eagles uniform.
Ken Norton Jr. in a 49ers uniform.

Thank God I was spared seeing Aikman in an Eagles uniform.


Gotta nitpick a little and say that Norton signed with SF when he still had some left. That was tough to watch.

No Emmitt in a Cardinal uniform?
 
He was as done as Romo, probably more so. He left because his body had given up. Idc any other reasons. Dude was a great qb and I cant imagine having anyone else captain that dynasty, but he was done.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
476,066
Messages
14,660,663
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top