News: Aikman Shares Thoughts On Norv Returning To Cowboys

Aven8

Reaction score
Why the hell would Norv want to come here on another 1 yr gig like last year?

Everybody around JG gets canned but him. What is so enticing about that?

However, if we are staying in this same crap offense we might as well hire the guru on it. Maybe he can also teach JG a thing or two as well on how to run the football!

NJ22

Reaction score
This is what I have been saying. If there was no bad blood he would have been here last year. It is not happening.

Gameover

Reaction score
Some friendly advice dude....................until you change your sig, nobody is going to take anything you say seriously.

Your boy Orton choked like a dog with the season on the line just 30 yards away from a game winning fg, his 2nd pick of the night................only you think Orton is superior to Romo at this point and folks are going to laugh at you and make remarks about you until you change it. Maybe if your boy Orton would have won the game it would be different, but he did the exact same thing you bang on Romo about, throwing a pick in crunch time. So if you want to argu there is no difference between the two, then you would atleast have some points to back up your argument. However, to claim Orton is vastly superior to Romo when Orton basically did the same thing you complain about Romo doing makes absolutely no sense. You have no facts or stats to back up your argument, especially since your boy choked the season away.

Like I said, just some friendly advice.

Didn't make past first sentence!#sorry

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Norv is not going to be taking orders from a trainee head coach..............if he comes it will be with the understanding that he has full control over the offense and playcalling.

In a nice way, this is what Aikman was insinuating.

Turner is an accomplished OC who could find himself a job elsewhere with a team where he would not have take a backseat to a trainee.

It is amazing that some people actually believe that coming to Dallas to work with a lame duck like Garrett is somehow desirable.

jnday

Reaction score
I think that's because he didn't really care. I always got the feeling that Barry was here just to have a good time and let our SB players carry him to a SB. After he achieved that, he was ready to move on.

Barry was smart enough not to screw things up. I will give him credit for that.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Maybe a better OC but not a better OL coach.

Didn't think of the line's vast improvement this year but you are correct in that and Cally deserves recognition for that; that is why he was brought here in the first place; he only had to take OC reins bc of JG's ineptness and JJ's rule. I believe Norv could've adapted to the line play (if not improvement outside of rookies Smith/Fred who Cally can't really take credit for) but who knows. Too many ifs and buts, just wish we landed Norv in hindsight.

Last edited:

Gameover

Reaction score
Some friendly advice dude....................until you change your sig, nobody is going to take anything you say seriously.

Your boy Orton choked like a dog with the season on the line just 30 yards away from a game winning fg, his 2nd pick of the night................only you think Orton is superior to Romo at this point and folks are going to laugh at you and make remarks about you until you change it. Maybe if your boy Orton would have won the game it would be different, but he did the exact same thing you bang on Romo about, throwing a pick in crunch time. So if you want to argu there is no difference between the two, then you would atleast have some points to back up your argument. However, to claim Orton is vastly superior to Romo when Orton basically did the same thing you complain about Romo doing makes absolutely no sense. You have no facts or stats to back up your argument, especially since your boy choked the season away.

Like I said, just some friendly advice.

Are you serious?

So you admit that Romo is a choker?

I mean, Orton only did what Romo has done many times before. Your words.

I rarely criticize Romo for interceptions.

My criticism has always been points scored. Don't tell me points were up this year: more turnovers; great returns.

We lost to KC at det because we couldn't move the ball. SD as well.

I never said Orton would win playoff games. The Philly game was just that. I've always said we would win 10 games with him(reach our potential)

Nice of you to rip a guy who hadn't played in two years, didn't take a sack, no issues with play clock running down, timing was just off. But go right ahead

Who's the better professional QB: Orton >> Romo

WestCoastQB

Reaction score
Here's a thought for you Aikman: It's not like other teams are beating down the door trying to interview Norv. SD is doing fine without him and Clev didn't do jack squat with him. Hey Troy, don't you think Norv would have a little bit of a hard time explaining that?

Move on from Norv. And Callahan. And Garrett.

I can't remember exactly but wasn't Troy announcing the GB/SF game? I thought Troy seemed a little disappointed Rodgers lost.

Cleveland had the 15th ranked offense with 3 garbage QBs and a bunch of nobody's even after they traded their star RB...not bad if you ask me, and I believe their offense ranked above ours.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Are you serious?

My criticism has always been points scored. Don't tell me points were up this year: more turnovers; great returns.

I never said Orton would win playoff games. The Philly game was just that. I've always said we would win 10 games with him(reach our potential)

Nice of you to rip a guy who hadn't played in two years, didn't take a sack, no issues with play clock running down, timing was just off. But go right ahead

Decided to try to read it again? :p

Alexander

Reaction score
I would give Pollack more credit for the OL this year than Callahan

If you are looking purely at coaching effect, certainly. Pollack learned the zone scheme in Houston with the guru Alex Gibbs, so I am certain there are a few small pointers that he was able to bring in. He certainly was an improvement over Wes Phillips.

I think getting someone better than Phil Costa at center helped more than anything else however.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
If you are looking purely at coaching effect, certainly. Pollack learned the zone scheme in Houston with the guru Alex Gibbs, so I am certain there are a few small pointers that he was able to bring in. He certainly was an improvement over Wes Phillips.

I think getting someone better than Phil Costa at center helped more than anything else however.

I'm definitely not trying to downplay the effect of superior talent, just that I don't think the OL coaching will miss a beat keeping Pollack and letting Callahan go

Alexander

Reaction score
I'm definitely not trying to downplay the effect of superior talent, just that I don't think the OL coaching will miss a beat keeping Pollack and letting Callahan go

Nor do I.

The question becomes who would come to Dallas to coach with Garrett for a year? You promote Pollack and fire Callahan, what do you do?

Go completely braindead and promote Wade Wilson to offensive coordinator?

I would as soon keep the status quo if that is the case. We would get worse.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
In a nice way, this is what Aikman was insinuating.

Turner is an accomplished OC who could find himself a job elsewhere with a team where he would not have take a backseat to a trainee.

It is amazing that some people actually believe that coming to Dallas to work with a lame duck like Garrett is somehow desirable.

Good points

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Nor do I.

The question becomes who would come to Dallas to coach with Garrett for a year? You promote Pollack and fire Callahan, what do you do?

Go completely braindead and promote Wade Wilson to offensive coordinator?

I would as soon keep the status quo if that is the case. We would get worse.

Wilson still having a job shows just how clueless this front office is so it wouldn't surprise me for him to be named OC, after all Garrett has to have someone to throw under the bus at the first sign of criticism

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Are you serious?

Sorry, didn't make it past the first sentence

# dribble

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
If they are going to continue to run this offense, Norv is the best in the business and needs to be in Dallas. He would be the best OC since he was with the Cowboys before.

I honestly want nothing to do with the past success of the 90's Cowboys any longer.

No more comfort-zone for this GM.

Norv has done WHAT since the Cowboys?
Sullied his name?

Yay! He WAS a great OC. Always an Awful HC- and now a what? A good OC and still an awful HC at best.

I want nothing to do with the 90's Cowboys.

Not Norv, not Zimmer, not the Triplets, not Jimmy, NOT JERRY, not Campo, not Wannstedt, not Garrett, not any of them!!!

Give me something fresh. Someone hungry and not living on their past. Someone who needs to succeed, but has the chops and [roved it on some levels, not someone who can say "Look what I did 20 years ago!".
Someone with a Football mind that combines innovations with REAL winning principles.

Unrealistic? Maybe so. Maybe you're right. Those people must not exist to desire for them. I have no names so they don't exist. Right? I think they do and I just don't have the knowledge or time (I do have a job and a life that doesn't involve the Cowboys) to do the search that a BILLIONAIRE should to protect His Product. His Interest.

But to think those guys who gravy trained the Cowboy's talent of the early 90's are going to be the saviors of the present when they've been saviors of nothing to date since...

I pity those poor souls. I really do.